What's so special about Henry George anyway?

Frank de Jong

Nov 22, 2019, 11:09:31 PM11/22/19
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
The Robert Schalkenbach Foundation published my blog entry today.

https://schalkenbach.org/whats-so-special-about-henry-george-anyway/

Suzanne Honsl

Nov 23, 2019, 12:25:51 PM11/23/19
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Frank,
This is awesome. One of the best capsule summaries of the Henry George “Single Tax” I’ve ever seen!
Sue

On Nov 22, 2019, at 11:08 PM, Frank de Jong <fde...@earthsharing.ca> wrote:

The Robert Schalkenbach Foundation published my blog entry today.

https://schalkenbach.org/whats-so-special-about-henry-george-anyway/

Paraic Lally

Nov 23, 2019, 1:15:10 PM11/23/19
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Frank,

I heartily agree with Sue.
You should run for office. ☺ I hear there is a vacancy in Ottawa if you can stand the warm winters.
Love the inclusion of other species also.

Great job.

Paraic

John Riviere-Anderson

Nov 23, 2019, 1:51:50 PM11/23/19
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Very clear, and the illustrative scenarios are most helpful, Frank. How to convince three levels of government to implement LVT is problematic.

As you know, Huntsville, Muskoka, Ontario, is a town of generally very low to middling means, very wealthy secondary residence/cottage owners, and prohibitive land prices, increasingly affordable only to the rich.

The former, very community-minded mayor of Huntsville is now a Conservative federal opposition MP in Ottawa. Is there an opportunity in this for a lobby to get LVT modeled, evaluated and results publicized? On the political ground, where does the LVT movement seek three-tiered opportunities?

John (naïve neophyte)

Caspar Davis

Nov 23, 2019, 9:58:49 PM11/23/19
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. A very fine summary.

I think you misspoke in "A low income senior cannot afford the LVT so a reverse mortgage is negotiated to pay the LVT until time of sale."  Should it not be "defer" instead of "pay"?

Caspar Davis

Frank de Jong

Nov 25, 2019, 10:33:00 AM11/25/19
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Casper, my mistake. I've had it corrected to read

* A low income senior cannot afford the LVT so a reverse mortgage is negotiated to defer the LVT until time of sale.

I also added a scenario bullet point:

* A buyer negotiates a loan only for the buildings. The land is secured by agreeing to remit the monthly LVT fee.

Paraic, yes, one of my objectives is to encourage Georgists to become ecocentric. To my mind, HG is the brains behind green economics.

John, yea, LVT is no magic bullet, the best sites will always go to the highest bidder, but 1) LVT will reduce the wealth gap, 2) LVT is a market mechanism that will  free up land, and 3) LVT will make land more affordable since buyers won't need mortgages for the land portion of properties.

Would you join me if I make an appointment with our new MP to bring up LVT?

Sue, thanks for the compliment.

======================================

Paraic Lally

Sat, Nov 23, 1:15 PM (2 days ago)
to earthsharing-canada
Frank,

I heartily agree with Sue.
You should run for office. ☺ I hear there is a vacancy in Ottawa if you can stand the warm winters.
Love the inclusion of other species also.

John Riviere-Anderson

Sat, Nov 23, 1:51 PM (2 days ago)
to Earthsharing

John Riviere-Anderson

Nov 25, 2019, 10:48:42 AM11/25/19
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Frank, I'll join you with alacrity!  I assume you'll bring copies of your article. Just say when, preferably next week. I've known Scott Aitchison for many years, and have worked with him on the municipal green plan ("Unity Plan"), the NCHC, resilience in the OP, etc.

My best,

John

Frank Remiz

Nov 26, 2019, 10:52:24 PM11/26/19
to Earthsharing Canada

Yes, it is a great summary.  But, perhaps the point about the stifling of economic vitality needs to be made more explicit:  Only a land tax AVOIDS the waste of money & resources associated with income & consumption taxes which essentially force customers & businesses to make less-desirable choices (see Foldvary’s article on the Gaffney Quantum Leap).

More broadly, my impression is that core LVT principles are being adopted so slowly … and not by any large Canadian jurisdiction.  Why?  Could it be because tax reform of this nature is like constitutional reform;  it’s in society’s interest but no elected official wants to touch it because of the inevitable blowback & fear-mongering associated with any such radical idea?

On that note, can we learn anything from the federal Green Party with its flagship environmental policies?  Can it be said that its 14-year Parliament presence, solitary as it was, garnered sufficient media attention to develop public awareness, credibility and acceptability for certain public policies (as evidenced by the selective uptake by one or two other parties)?  In other words, if tax reform was married with certain other issues (e.g. labour; fiscal), might there be a sufficiently large political base SOMEWHERE to establish a Parliamentary beachhead?  Henry George tried.

….Frank Remiz

Erich Jacoby-Hawkins

Nov 28, 2019, 9:19:19 PM11/28/19
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com

I think this is great, there us just one concept missing from your examples section:

"A business is situated on 2 acres of land, the parcel market value at $500,000. The owner pays the rental value (5 percent) or $25,000 in LVT, but no other taxes."

This makes it sound like the only tax business pays is LVT, which would exempt a lot of hugely profitable tech/pharma giants, online retailers, or entertainment businesses. Think Microsoft, Pfizer, Facebook, Amazon, Disney. And of course the banks, who don't need much land (although often are in the highest value locations).

To fix this, you can add something about how business pays for their ecological footprint (Amazon shipping, all energy/mining use) and for the privilege granted by patent protection (Microsoft, pharmaceuticals), copyright, trademark (Disney), and by enabling regulations.

You could also include how airlines would pay high pollution surtax (beyond carbon tax, since airline emissions at high altitude are more harmful than surface CO2), fees for landing rights & air corridors; how trucking/shipping companies would pay more road & congestion & even parking fees, etc.

Otherwise one might read this and think that business essentially gets a free ride other than what they pay for the bit of land their operation sits on.

You might also want to look at a Tobin tax on large financial transactions, since those profits depend on the privilege provided by well-regulated public financial markets. This would help catch the excess profits of hedge funds, insurance companies, banks, etc. Perhaps also a charge for banks on the privilege to create deposit money through lending to individuals & businesses, which again is only possible due to good banking regulations.

Erich.

On 11/22/2019 11:08 PM, Frank de Jong wrote:
The Robert Schalkenbach Foundation published my blog entry today.

https://schalkenbach.org/whats-so-special-about-henry-george-anyway/

Frank de Jong

Dec 4, 2019, 11:29:15 PM12/4/19
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Exactly, Erich. Earlier in the piece it deals with our age-old nomenclature problem, that LVT really should be called economic rent capture, or rental value capture, or maybe best yet, rental value sharing:

"Economic rent refers to revenue without a corresponding cost of production, a societal surplus, or superprofits, that flow to monopoly-held assets like land, resources (oil, copper, trees, water . . .), the privilege to pollute, the electromagnetic spectrum, (includes radio waves e.g., commercial radio and television, microwaves, radar, privileged access to the internet), agricultural supply management quotas, drug patents, taxi medallions, et cetera."

But, you're correct, the 'Scenarios' section of my blog doesn't sufficiently reflect the various sources of rent, and needs fixing.

But I'm having trouble briefly explaining how taxing FAANG (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google) is collecting economic rent? Suggestions please?

Here's my long explanation, not exactly a sound bite:

The internet is like a public freeway, anyone can use it: private vehicles, public and private busses, private and public trucks. When private busses and private trucking companies get marginal cost access to freeways, they receive a hidden subsidy, especially since heavy vehicles damage roads disproportionately, requiring large amounts of publicly-funded maintenance. Amazon has become a huge successful company primarily because of low-cost access to public roads, which means they have privileged access to public infrastructure, a source of rent. Amazon, then, is a rentier, scooping up unearned income.

FAANG all started as small, internet-based companies, earning every dollar with hard work, but through astute management, genius or just dumb luck, have grown omnipresent, to that point that they have effectively become indispensable institutions, akin to public services. The internet is comparable to the 407, which is a privately-owned freeway that scoops up dump trucks of unearned income because many people and companies have little choice but to use since it is geographically nearby and not congested.

Similarly, hundreds of millions of people now have little option but to use Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix and Google. By virtue of their size, FAANG have cornered near monopolies for their services and can thus charge above a fair return over the cost of production. Like thieves in the night, they are gobbling the rent that rightfully belongs to the citizens of the jurisdictions where they operate. The internet allows these companies privileged access to entire populations. It is past time our somnolent governments served the economic interests or their citizens and socialized the superprofits that the FAANG pirates are pocketing.

==================

ach

Dec 5, 2019, 5:34:34 AM12/5/19
to Frank de Jong, Earthsharing Canada Google Group

Frank,

With FAANG you are trying to get the grist of it, but I think you are somehow slipping.

The first problem I see: those comparisons between 407 and internet and FAANG seem to be shifting in every paragraph. Especially that it is not clear from your argument, who is this public "delivered of their money" by a monopoly. After all majority of users of FAANG on the public side, do not pay a cent.

Secondly: a big problem with FAANG is not the money they get, but undue influence on public life they have, that has nothing to do with the money they earn, but with the cultural effects they produce:

fake news spreading, echo chambers, extremism propagation, big brother watching your actions privacy issues, fueling of consumerism with ad based business model. So unless they are taxed to death, they will still do the damage in the model you are proposing.

Thirdly: I would not use insults like "thieves" and "pirates", not because you should not in general, but because you are not using them in other cases of rent appropriation.

I am not sure how to formulate, what you are trying to say better, though.

No more thoughts for now,

Andrzej

Erich Jacoby-Hawkins

Dec 5, 2019, 2:17:45 PM12/5/19
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com

I think it's important to capture the public rent that comes from exercising IP.

While having IP and exclusive use of your own creative output probably isn't rent per se, the ability to *enforce* your IP rights depends on publicly-funded legal and police and border control systems. IP is worthless in a world where there is no enforcement - which is why, for example, it's much less an issue in China (or was) where/when enforcement is lax. Hence the value of IP is created not only by your own creativity, but also the working legal system that allows you to profit from it. Just like the value your physical building gets from access to public fire and police and ambulance services. Plus, much modern IP is traded on the internet, which as you note, is analogous to a public highway. Even though the internet is (to some extent) privately built & maintained, there is also a large public role in its invention, advancement, and the provision of various standards which make it worthwhile.

For example, writers and composers today can strongly enforce copyright on their laws, but in the time of the great classical composers or playwrights (all of whose works are now public domain), cheaply printed copies were probably difficult to prevent, eating into the income of the writers. Although of course today's tech also undermines that in some cases, like my friend who wrote the definitive book on a particular scriptural variant which can't be published for income because someone posted his entire text to a website in Russia. Today we address that with international treaties and economic pressure (as we have been doing with China) which are both things accomplished by government at great expense.

The creation and ownership of IP is thus not privilege, but the ability to *protect* ownership is, just like the ability to keep trespassers off your land is privilege even if your land itself (let's say, a minimal homestead) were not privilege. Patent, copyright, trademark, and similar protections are only possible with a well-organized, fully-funded public system of protections with the enforcement powers of government.

FANGS would have much more difficulty profiting if their IP rights were not thusly enforced.

Of course, Amazon is also able to negotiate favourable rates for things like shipping, through special deals with USPS and Canada Post that smaller businesses can't access, and that's a form of privilege which comes from scale or market dominance, a monopoly-like power. Not to mention the tax breaks they get when they promise to set up a new hub or campus or whatever.

Erich.

Frank de Jong

Dec 8, 2019, 11:41:30 PM12/8/19
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Thanks, Erich and  Andrzej,

Nic Tideman suggests that FAANG are like any other company. He explained at last year's CGO conf that when any company consistently earns above a normal ROI it must be enjoying some type of monopoly, either it was first to the silver mine or it enjoys some form of restricted competition. Dan Sullivan says FAANG have what he calls social monopolies.

Suzanne Honsl

Dec 9, 2019, 3:29:59 PM12/9/19
to freelanddw via Earthsharing Canada
I bet they also use “cash management” and “investment diversification” ie keeping a lot of cash outside their core business and in real estate or stocks, many of which are based on FIRE industries.

Even te 100 person IT company I worked for did this so I bet the big boys do too.