Elections Nunavut corrects Grise Fiord land referendum results

Frank de Jong

May 10, 2016, 10:26:02 AM5/10/16
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Good news, all the communities in Nunavut voted strongly to keep land public!! Frank

As of late Monday night Elections Nunavut had mistakenly reported Grise Fiord was the only hamlet in Nunavut to vote Yes on the territorial Land Referendum. The results have now been corrected.

Grise RO just fixed reporting error. Yes 4. No 29. Site updated.

Grise Fiord, like the rest of Nunavut, overwhelmingly voted No to the sale of municipal lands. The final results are four people voting Yes and 29 people voting No, with a voter turnout of 60 per cent.   Marty Kuluguqtuq, the hamlet's senior administrative officer said that a Yes vote didn't seem quite right among those in the community.

"When we checked the results online, we were quite surprised actually," said Kuluguqtuq.

"Those of who voted on the plebiscite looked at each other and thought there was something not right over here. And sure enough we checked it out this morning."

​Nunavummiut across the rest of the territory voted with a resounding No to the sale of municipal lands, in some municipalities like Iqaluit, the No votes more than doubled the number of Yes votes.