Fwd: Information about MyDemocracy survey

Sue Honsl

Dec 19, 2016, 10:26:14 PM12/19/16
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Taking the liberty of forwarding this. Please ignore and delete if it doesn't resonate. Guide to filling out the famous government survey about proportional representation that never actually mentions the topic -if you want to crack the code and tell the govt. that you are for this change to our voting system.

Sue

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Katelynn Northam - Leadnow.ca" <lea...@leadnow.ca>
Date: December 18, 2016 at 7:04:46 PM EST
To: sueh...@sympatico.ca
Subject: Information about MyDemocracy survey

Dear Sue,

Many of you have asked us about the government’s new online survey on electoral reform at MyDemocracy.ca

We won’t mince words - it’s a flawed survey and is biased against proportional representation. It looks designed to avoid producing real answers to the question of what should replace first-past-the-post. It doesn’t give a clear way to express your preference for proportional representation over other voting systems.

Unfortunately, it will likely also influence the government's final decision on voting reform.

Fortunately, our friends at Fair Vote have created a guide to filling out the survey that lets you come as possible to expressing support for PR. Click here to check it out.

I'd like to check out Fair Vote's survey guide

After you read Fair Vote’s helpful explainer on the survey’s questions, it directs you right to the government’s MyDemocracy.ca survey so you can fill it out right away.

The government’s survey is flawed but it is another way to inform their final decision on electoral reform. If we can show the results of the survey reflect the public’s desire for more fairness in our voting systems, we have one more piece of evidence that PR is the way forward.

Here’s the link to Fair Vote's guide again: http://mycanadiandemocracy.ca/

If you already did the survey or just want another way to send a strong message to the Liberals, there’s another option. Remember those postcards about the government’s survey that some people received in early December? They looked like this:

We are encouraging people who got a postcard to write a personal message on it and mail it back to the government. For example, you could write “Your survey didn’t ask, but I support PR”.  Here’s an example of something else you could write:

Take a picture of your postcard before you mail it, and tweet it using #keepthepromise. Then you can send it postage-free to Prime Minister Trudeau.

The PM’s mailing address is:
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON, K1A 0A2

Remember - you don’t need to include postage on letters sent to MPs!

If you didn’t get a postcard, consider instead sending an email about the flawed survey directly to Justin Trudeau and Maryam Monsef through our ‘send a message’ feature at www.votebetter.ca.

We hope this is helpful! We’ll be in touch in the new year to talk more about the next phase of the Vote Better campaign.

Best wishes,

Katelynn and Rachel on behalf of the Leadnow team

Please support the Leadnow.ca community! We're funded by people like you, and our small, dedicated team and growing community make sure your donation goes a long way. Every dollar helps. You can donate online at http://www.leadnow.ca/en/donate

Leadnow.ca is an independent campaigning community that brings Canadians together to hold government accountable, deepen our democracy and take action for the common good. You can follow us on TwitterFacebook and Google+. To contact us, you can reply to this email. This message was sent to sueh...@sympatico.ca, because you previously signed on to a Leadnow.ca campaign. If you no longer want to be part of our campaigning community, you can unsubscribe from Leadnow.ca at any time.

Leadnow.ca - À l’Action est une communauté indépendante qui souhaite réunir les Canadiens afin de demander des comptes au gouvernement, approfondir notre démocratie et passer à l’action pour le bien commun. Suivre sur TwitterFacebook, et Google+. Ce courriel a été envoyé au sueh...@sympatico.ca. Vous pouvez vous désinscrire à tout moment.

Leadnow.ca, PO Box 2091, Stn Terminal, Vancouver, BC, V6B 3T2 — 1‑855‑LEADN0W | 1‑855‑532‑3609

supporter

Dave Johnson

Dec 20, 2016, 8:54:42 AM12/20/16
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this Sue. I have already followed these guidelines and replied to the questionnaire on line by ignoring all the added qualifiers and deterring caveats and giving a strong affirmation of desire for a P.R. system. I also wrote a simple message on the postcard I received, saying I want a P.R. system, and mailed it back. I think we will have enough people doing this to thwart this devious attempt to get a way out of their promise. It is now evident that Justine is no better than his father was at honoring election promises. The Liberals are still the same bunch of power hungry weasels they always have been! They seem to think that their “divine right” to rule justifies any duplicity. Keep the faith! And have a Merry Christmas!

Dave Johnson

brendan hennigan

Dec 20, 2016, 9:06:24 PM12/20/16
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sue,

I did the survey.  It was pathetic.  No wonder so many people are complaining about the poor quality of the survey.

Many of the questions were confusing or loaded.  Why did the government need to know your gender, salary scale and postal code?  The survey was not anonymous - you had to give an email address.

Whether your are for the status quo or electoral reform this survey is a con.

Grade F from me.

Thanks for forwarding the survey.

Regards,

Brendan