Fw: What US land is really worth, state by state

Dave Johnson

Jul 4, 2015, 3:20:35 PM7/4/15
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a good source of revenue to me! Better than my pension cheque!
Dave Johnson

Jul 4, 2015, 3:47:33 PM7/4/15
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Sounds like a good source of revenue to me! Better than my pension cheque!
Dave Johnson

Exactly, Dave. The HG idea is to finance most gov programs by capturing the rental value of land and resources and thus replace most other taxes.

The website below gives total USA gov rev from all levels of government to be 6 trillion. You quote that the total value of land is $23 trillion. Question is, what is the rental value of all US land. The annual rental value of land is very roughly about 25% of land value, which shows that all income taxes could be replaced by socializing the rental value of land in the US.  Frank de J

 http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/total

Federal Direct Revenue    $3.2 trillion
 State Direct Revenue    $1.6 trillion
 Local Direct Reveue    $1.2 trillion
 Total Revenue    $6.0 trillion

Jul 5, 2015, 8:50:49 AM7/5/15
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Frank,

Is 25% a commonly accepted figure for annual rental?  Seems like a lot. What about the other forms on economic rent - minerals, EM Spectrum etc.,

Hope all is well in the North.

Paraic

PS, send your cheque for any Ontario Economic Rent to me. I will see that Kathleen Wynne gets it.

Frank de Jong

Jul 5, 2015, 12:08:44 PM7/5/15
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Yea, oops, Paraic, your right, that's why I'm not a mathematician. But I got your attention, didn't I.  : )

Actually, it's about 5-6% for land. It's higher for some other finite assets.

To check this use your own house. If you can rent for your house for $2000 per month and the land part of it worth $300,000, ignoring your house, and compensating for repairs and renovations, then the the annual rental value of your house would be about $1500 x 12 = $18,000. which is about 6% of land value.

Here's the best study on the amount of rent available.

Total Resource Rents of Australia  from 2013, it shows that in Australia most taxes can be replaced by economic rent capture.

ken fair

Aug 6, 2015, 6:22:56 PM8/6/15
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Frank, Best of luck in the election. You will be a great representative for Yukon.
Ken

Sent from my iPad