HGFC Wine and Cheese followup

1 view

Frank de Jong

Mar 26, 2019, 8:15:11 AM3/26/19
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Thanks very much to all who attended on Saturday, about dozen, it was an excellent event. Thanks to the Henry George Foundation of Canada for the financial support.

Our speaker was charming and informed. Miguel Figueroa, President of the Canadian Peace Congress, who had recently returned from Caracas, spoke of the volatile situation there. He sides with the Maduro government over the opposition leader Juan Guaido, who is supported by Canada, the US and other countries.

Here's a piece reporting that the US -- which has blocked imports of Venezuelan oil -- paradoxically, has increased its Russian oil imports.

For appreciation, I gave Miguel a copy of the newly published Annotated Works of Henry George Vol 2, Progress and Poverty, edited by our very own Frank Peddle. I suggested Miguel put it on his bookshelf between Karl Marx and Milton Friedman, but he said he didn't think he had any Friedman.

Frank de Jong

Suzanne Honsl

Mar 26, 2019, 9:02:17 PM3/26/19
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank

Thanks again for hosting this - and for inviting Miguel. I very much enjoyed listening to hime. He  knows his stuff and has on-the-ground experience and credibility.

Sue

Jassal Devpreet

Mar 30, 2019, 7:47:20 AM3/30/19
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
I liked the Miguel's analysis of the situation.......I was wondering why there was food shortage...........and he explained that Venezuela did not invest in food infrastructure because it was oil rich country and was importing food from other countries.

To me this was very deep understanding of the situation.....

Every country must respect their farmers

Cheers,

Devpreet Jassal