Globe and Mail editorial endorses tax shift off incomes onto carbon

Frank de Jong

Jan 3, 2015, 7:00:53 PM1/3/15
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group

...We think British Columbia’s carbon tax, which involves taxing fuels like gasoline while equally lowering income and other taxes, is the way to go. It cut B.C.’s carbon emissions by much more than the national average even as B.C.’s economy grew faster than the national average.

The B.C. model is just one of many. But the basic idea of putting higher taxes on things we want less of, like pollution, and lowering taxes on things we want more of – income, investment, savings – is something Conservatives, Liberals, New Democrats and Greens should all be able to support....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorials/five-conversations-canadians-need-to-have-in-2015/article22274774/