3 recent items on economic rent capture

Frank de Jong

May 1, 2016, 10:42:18 PM5/1/16
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
1. Short piece on positive effects of LVT in Saudi Arabia.

"Sales have gradually increased since the Saudi Cabinet's announcement of an annual tax of 2.5% on undeveloped urban land designated for residential or commercial use. The tax is being implemented in an effort to address a shortage in housing projects, increase transparency and strengthen the tax system. It has already resulted in a 25% drop in prices, Arab News added."

Our plan is based upon a self-financing strategy for the development and operation of all the systems and extensions required for a metropolitan-scale passenger railway  without dependence upon any public debt or taxes.

Train Stopping Fee  Proposal to finance Ottawa light rail

"...operating revenue for the railway service would be based on a “train stopping fee”, defined in an open consortium agreement among all the independent member stations. Each station would receive train service in exchange for pooling funds under a formula-based percentage of the marginal increase in property income and realized asset appreciation values over time."

This report reviews alternative sources of revenue to support new infrastructure and other development projects for which municipal funds are not readily available. We review two such instruments: Tax Increment Financing (TIF) and Land Value Capture (LVC). We found more frequent use of TIF than LVC.

brendan hennigan

May 2, 2016, 9:01:36 AM5/2/16
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com

Frank,

Where do you find this stuff?  Articles and documents are great help in advancing the need for community rail transit and how fair taxation based on land use and cost-benefit can be realised (LVT-TIF).

This past Thursday the National Capital Commission released its application study proposals for Le Breton Flats.  In the 1960's thousands of low income residents and business were evicted from an area close to Parliament Hill and downtown Ottawa.  Whoopee!  They are going to build a new NHL arena and  condos.  There was a total lack of vision and nerve.  BTW: one of the main proposals by the winning bid was to cover the new LRT line, which is expected to open in 2018.  I will try and look for a good article on who will actually end up paying for the project.

Frank - have you surfaced from hibernation yet?  When does the prospecting season starts?  Have you been bitten by the "Gold Bug"?

Brendan

May 2, 2016, 8:41:07 PM5/2/16
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group

Frank - have you surfaced from hibernation yet?  When does the prospecting season starts?  Have you been bitten by the "Gold Bug"?

There's gold, in these here Yukon hills, Brendan, but it's now in the form of subsidies. Mining and tourism vie for the top spot in our economy. Mining is on the rocks (pardon the pun) these days so tourism (mostly Japan and Germany) is our main economy.

The Yukon budget is about $1 billion and of this about $900 million a year comes in the form of an annual cheque from the federal government. (Thank you taxpayers in the ROC.)

There are lots of government jobs around and everyone gets one sort of subsidy or another plus northern allowance.

There's lots of money sloshing around, creating lots of societal surplus, and it goes into land, as HG taught us, resulting is high housing prices as land is expensive.

I live in Faro, which is an anomaly to this. There was a huge lead-zinc open pit mine here from 1970 - 2000. A town of 3000 people was built out of scratch to support the mine. When it closed 2,700 people had to leave, resulting in a lot of cheap housing. We rent a modern 3-bedroom detached house for $600 per month.

Some pics below.  oxo, Frank

Picture of Faro on Jan 1, where I live in the middle of Yukon.

My view walking to school.

Spring

Fall

The abandoned mine (Satanic Mills)

A historical, electric, gold mining dredge outside of Yukon.