Fwd: [CGO Conference]: upcoming sessions 5/31 to 6/17; others will follow

1 view

Frank de Jong

May 29, 2020, 10:14:22 PM5/29/20
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
CGO has updated http://www.cgocouncil.org/ with the current schedule.  (The links below take you to links for adding each event to Google calendar and exporting to iCal, including the Zoom links).  The next few sessions are:

Sunday 5/31, 2 pm EDT   Dominic Frisby  Daylight Robbery: How Tax Shaped Our Past and Will Change Our Future

Tuesday 6/2, 7 pm EDT  Georgist Webmasters and Their Sites  Wyn Achenbaum, Ed Dodson, Josie Faass, Dan Sullivan

Sunday 6/7, 2 pm EDT   Steve Sklar on "Us vs Them"

Tuesday 6/9, 7 pm EDT   Understanding Assessments and Frequently Asked Questions Ted Gwartney & respondent Nic Tideman

Saturday 6/13, 2 pm EDT   Green New Deal, a panel with Alanna Hartzok of Earthrights Institute, Marty Rowland of the Henry George School of New York, Dave Wetzel of the UK’s Green Party, part 1, moderated by Ed Dodson

Sunday 6/14, 2 pm EDT   Green New Deal part 2, a roundtable discussion with Saturday’s panelists moderated by Ed Dodson

Tuesday 6/17, 7 pm EDT  Assessment as a Competitive Game: Toward an Efficient Mechanism for Assessing the Undeveloped Value of Land  Nic Tideman & respondent Ted Gwartney

And as the program for CGO conferences reminds us,

The Law of Rent never changes, but program sessions are subject to change without notice due to telecommunication issues and speaker availability. So please check back often to make sure you do not miss sessions. http://www.cgocouncil.org/

Separate from these, HGF and HGS are hosting Ed Dodson's talk tomorrow, Saturday 5/30, 1:30pm EDT, on Interconnected Global Credit and Debt.  See an earlier email 12:06EDT today (which didn't provide the EDT time)

= = = =

Sunday 5/31  Dominic Frisby: Daylight Robbery: How Tax Shaped Our Past and Will Change Our Future
This is a recent interview of Frisby, and it is quite good. We will pick up where this one left off, so you might want to watch this first: Dominic Frisby: Daylight Robbery -- How Tax Shaped Our Past & Will Change Our Future

Dominic Frisby is best known as a politically incorrect comedian/songwriter, but he has long been focused on economic issues, particularly monetary and tax policies.

Videos:

He made this ten-minute video is called A Simple Guide to Land Value Tax. It is an excellent introduction to the history, principles, and implementation of land value tax. Frisby also made a great animated condensation of this video [2:46].

Let's Talk about Tax [50:18] is a comedic talk that introduces many topics that are later found in his book. At [20:20] he begins talking about land monopoly. At [42:23] he talks more about the unequal distribution of land and proceeds to argue for a land value tax.

The Top Ten Reasons for Wealth Inequality [5:08] is classically progressive, in the tradition of Georgists and Greenbackers.Daylight Robbery

His two YouTube channels are Dominic Frisby Comedy Videos and Dominic Frisby: Money, Markets and Other Matters.

He's also a  regular on Comedy Unleashed, a network of free-thinking comedians who are not to be cowled by demands for political correctness.

He has written Life After the State: Why We Don't Need Government, Bitcoin, the Future of Money?, and his most successful book so far, Daylight Robbery: How Tax Shaped Our Past and Will Change Our Future, which will be the primary focus of our discussion.

Dan Sullivan

Dan Sullivan (host) is the director of Saving Communities and president of the Council of Georgist Organizations. Since 1978, he has led successful campaigns that resulted in several shifts to land value tax in Pittsburgh and in other Pennsylvania cities. He has been called to testify on tax economics by state legislative committees, Congressional sub-committees, and economic reform organizations in multiple countries, and his work has been featured in many publications, from The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Pittsburgh Press to Fortune Magazine.

Videos: Pittsburgh's 1990 Tax Swap [56:31];

The Politics of Reason [1:06:14]

May 30, 2020, 7:19:13 PM5/30/20
to freelanddw via Earthsharing Canada
Thanks Frank! I have been following these but couldn’t find the new listings, past tomorrow so these are very useful.

Sue

brendan hennigan

May 31, 2020, 1:54:09 PM5/31/20
to freelanddw via Earthsharing Canada
Thanks Sue and Frank,
I do not seem to be getting the updates on the virtual CGO schedule.
Regards,
Brendan