Land Value Capture comes to Ontario

Frank de Jong

Feb 26, 2015, 9:51:46 PM2/26/15
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Wow, how satisfying!!  After 10 years of Earthsharing Canada's lobbying, letters to the editor, submissions to government bodies, and speaking publicly -- with zero buy-in, zero positive feedback, zero acknowledgement of any sort -- LVC has magically, poof, arrived in Ontario!!!

I'd like to think we can take a good bit of the credit. We should be very proud. I'm tickled pink!!!

As predicted, after trying everything else first, Metrolinx decided to finance transit the sensible way. Who could have dreamed that upper level muck-a-mucks would actually do the right thing??? Transit authorities around the continent will be watching, and will emulate if successful. Folks, we've changed Toronto and maybe the continent.

The next step, of course, would be full Land Value Taxation -- where governments to collect the rental value of all land and resources, both private and public, and eliminate all other taxes.

Oh, well, one step at a time.

Frank (drinking champagne)
--------------------

Globe and Mail: Toronto transit agency Metrolinx to take ‘modest first step’ into real estate

Such “land-value-capture” revenue streams are mostly untapped in North America, but they’ve helped East Asian cities to continually expand rail systems.

“In this part of the world, our rapid-transit cost calculations are always wrong because we never consider net costs; we never account for the money we should make off properties we have to buy to build subways,”

“It’s the first example of achieving land-value capture in the [Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area] for transit and it will inform future engagement between Metrolinx and the development community.”

Toronto Star: Metrolinx to sell development rights at Eglinton Crosstown LRT stops

Land value capture is one means of financing big projects, relying on the benefits from a jump in property values triggered by access to new transit — a feature coveted by homebuyers and businesses.

Councillor Josh Colle, the TTC chair, told reporters he is “shocked and amazed” the TTC is not doing more to leverage the value of its properties.

“I believe this is a critical approach to linking and integrating land-use planning with transit infrastructure investments,” said Jennifer Keesmaat, the City of Toronto’s chief planner.

Land value capture is one means of financing big projects, relying on the benefits from a jump in property values triggered by access to new transit — a feature coveted by homebuyers and businesses.

Bill Winegard

Feb 26, 2015, 10:01:17 PM2/26/15
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com

I saw that.  Bravo!

Bill Winegard
     416-695-8992
     wine...@rogers.com

bw2

image003.jpg

Frank Remiz

Mar 3, 2015, 1:13:48 AM3/3/15
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com

Yes, it’s great that ‘land value capture’ will be incorporated into the leasing & sale of space around the new transit stations.  However, it will apply on Metrolinx-owned property at the stations.

As many of you surely know, there is another opportunity that risks getting missed here.  I elaborate on that below.  I’d like to communicate that (our) perspective with the City of Toronto Planning Dept.  But I need help identifying the Toronto City Planner handling this file.  Once I have that, I (or we) can send a letter, which may help inform their decision-making, whether now or in the future.

One of my points is that the planned LVC will be collected with a development-based approach and the use of Development Charges in certain municipalities.  Efforts will be needed to ensure that the developments are designed & approved in such a way as to maximize LVC, which means good building design, etc.

Here is my main point:  There is other land that will also increase in value:  possibly the land bordering the transit line itself, and definitely the land radiating 500 m from a transit station.  The latter could be valued 10 – 20% higher (11% in the case of Montreal, according to a 2011 study).  Much of that land is owned neither by Metrolinx (a government agency) nor governments.  Instead, it is privately owned (commercial or residential).

On those properties, a special tax or levy should be imposed annually, to reflect the inevitable windfall gains.  Such measures are discussed further in a 2009 Trillium Business Strategies Inc. document.  Administratively, it would be necessary for the relevant departments at the City, Regional and Provincial level to get involved.  The process could be integrated with the annual property tax billing, or done separately.  Certainly there would be challenges with the calculations.  Even a nominal amount would be better than nothing, as it would help to entrench the concept into public understanding, and pave the way for a future wider adoption.

That revenue belongs, essentially, to all citizens in the region.

…Frank Remiz

Justin Trottier

Mar 3, 2015, 7:51:12 PM3/3/15
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Extremely good news. Thank you Frank and team for your hard work.

Justin

--
Justin Trottier
Spokesperson, Canadian Secular Alliance