Mason Gaffney

1 view

Frank de Jong

Jul 18, 2020, 5:35:53 PM7/18/20
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
I thought the Earthsharing list should know that Mason Gaffney passed away yesterday. He was our most formidable Georgist thinker. He will be missed dearly.

Frank Peddle

===========

Wyn Achenbaum

Fri, Jul 17, 9:23 AM (1 day ago)

I had an email during the night from Mase's son Stuart:

Our wonderful Dad, Mason Gaffney, died peacefully today in Redlands, California. He was surrounded by love. He was a truly remarkable man! ...as you well know.

This is just a brief note to let you know, as it has been a full, exhausting day.

Thinking of our dear Dad with love and gratitude,

Stuart
I have a huge collection of his emails, from the various listservs and other Georgist and other conversations, which should be mined for the many gems.

I think I first met Mase when I was about 14, in association with the TRED conferences, held at University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin's conference house, on the campus where Mase and Arthur Becker taught.  I have some of his correspondence with my grandfather, who was roughly a generation older than Mase, and it is such a treat to read.  After Weld's death, he made a point of staying in touch, nudging me toward these ideas.

and just before I sent this off:
Thank you for sending your kind messages and lovely tributes. Clearly we are all missing my father terribly -- and specifically I am missing his proofreading skills -- because in my emotional state last night I had a double "23" on the brain and made a typo in his dates. I can hear my father correcting me over the dinner table, and telling me to let you all know his correct dates are October 18, 1923-July 16, 2020.

I'm including a short tribute I wrote last night. He was a giant. He is loved, treasured, and missed.

Stuart

My Dad died peacefully today, surrounded by love. He was a legend, singing us to sleep with arias, passing the time on family hikes by reciting epic poetry by heart, traveling the globe to address world leaders about economics and taxation. He waited until his 96th birthday to tell us about the time he was introduced to Eleanor Roosevelt while she was out walking her dogs. When asked what made the moment memorable, he said "her dogs were extremely large." Who knows what stories he may have had yet to share! He always had time to spare, a song in his heart, and a tale to tell.

A lifelong professor of economics, he only recently retired at age 89, and published books and articles well into his 90s. On his collected essays you can find the quote: "Mason Gaffney is a national treasure."

Here he is just last September in his happy place, the old family home in Vermont, where he is doing what he loved most -- recounting his stories, and a lifetime of memories.

Professor Mason Gaffney, a treasure forever - October 18, 1923-July 16, 2020

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/110284204_10223430381887153_922662434875889617_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=dd7718&_nc_ohc=Zh0Ety6xpmMAX8HYVs3&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=ba169149d258271aba80cf99dc71711c&oe=5F360120

Mase was a sweet man!

Warmly,
Wyn

With Mason's death on Thursday and the imminent emptying of RSF's book warehouse, this email, sent by Mase in 2009 soon after the CGO conference in Cleveland*, might nudge you to order a copy or two of the book, which exists both in paperback and hardback.   It also has a website, http://afterthecrash-masongaffney.com/ which contains Cliff Cobb's introduction to the book, but does not contain the 3 chapters:

You can read an excerpt at https://www.amazon.com/After-Crash-Designing-Depression-free-Economy/dp/1444333070 using the "surprise me!"

The material also appeared as AJES Vol 68, No. 4 (October, 2009)

Why does RSF have 636 hardback copies at Fitchburg?  Because our board thought every member of Congress, plus some committee staffers, should receive a copy.  The logistics of that, however, became quite daunting, and we were never able work that out.  (Something precipitated by white powder in envelopes, as I recall.)

Wyn
* At that 2009 conference, oral histories were filmed with a number of Georgists.  See https://vimeo.com/schalkenbach, and keep choosing "more."