Leading Toronto Mayoral contender John Tory calls for TIF, a type of LVT

Frank de Jong

Aug 26, 2014, 10:13:37 PM8/26/14
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group

Sue Honsl

Aug 27, 2014, 12:36:34 PM8/27/14
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Its a shame that the person who wrote the article is so down on the idea!

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 19:13:35 -0700
Subject: Leading Toronto Mayoral contender John Tory calls for TIF, a type of LVT
From: fde...@earthsharing.ca
To: earthshar...@googlegroups.com

Stephen Wickens

Aug 27, 2014, 12:43:55 PM8/27/14
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
To some degree, I agree.
  But TIFs and SADs are not the best ways of implementing value capture.
      An adaptation of MTR's hugely successful rail + property model in conjunction with the faith that well planned transit improvements will torque the tax base is what's needed.
         Done properly, we don't just raised funds for capital projects, we nurture the public's will to fund them. We automatically hold plans to business models and we make operations more efficient. Maybe best of all, we also use R+P to drive urbanism objectives.
              I'll probably vote Tory because by process of elimination, but he's not getting good advice on transit funding.
Cheers, Steve

Stephen Wickens – freelance writer and editor – stephen....@gmail.com  worldwidewickens.com