Thomas Paine called for a Basic Income in 1797 financed by Land Value Taxation

Frank de Jong

Apr 20, 2020, 7:53:55 PM4/20/20
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group

John Riviere-Anderson

Apr 20, 2020, 9:27:14 PM4/20/20
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Hi Frank,

I hope you and Tove are healthy and enjoying the quietude gone viral. I am: preparatory carpentry to receive bees and trout, and moving incontinent puppies about our briefly borrowed land, night and day.

Thanks for this most salient piece reminding us that Paine's LVT and egalitarian redistribution for basic income might yet today revolutionize by necessity our ecosocial diseases while a new disease rages, and Trump and his like dismantle decades of environmental safeguards. (Aren't converging catastrophes exciting!?) With apologies to Eliot, each in his Keynesian prison we think of the key.

My warmest to you both,

John

Sent: April 20, 2020 19:53
Subject: Thomas Paine called for a Basic Income in 1797 financed by Land Value Taxation

BGHearns .

Apr 25, 2020, 4:01:28 PM4/25/20
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Frank

I observe that every other day, some other group gets included in the government bail out. I wonder just how long it will take before they throw their hands up and just include everyone. It'd be simpler.

Bruce Hearns

Polito

Apr 25, 2020, 5:30:39 PM4/25/20
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com, Frank de Jong
Frank

My version would be to provide universal necessities - health, education including free tuition, pharmacare, dental care, daycare, free public transportation, etc. ... If everyone benefited the political support would be much stronger.  Additionally all the measures would create more jobs in Canada, and make life much more affordable.

We need to spend more, but we need to practise triage with our resources.

That initiative would need to be partnered with a full employment economy policy, which has so many benefits to human dignity.

Additional funding would be needed for those who can't work.

Toward the end of her career, as she was speaking at a midwestern college, a student asked, “Miss Keller, is there anything that could have been worse than losing your sight?” Keller replied: “Yes, I could have lost my vision.