FUEL WASTE & MAN HOUR WASTE at Traffic intersections

REJIMON C K

Dec 20, 2014, 12:12:54 AM12/20/14
to DWARKA FORUM, sd...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anil Sood <anil...@spchetna.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Subject: Fwd: Road

Dear All

I was pleasantly surprised that my first study on 'Ailing Public Transport in Delhi' published in HT on 26-09-2003 was referred to by Mr. Samir K. Mondal, National Council of Applied Economic Research, India & Ms. Nandini Acharya, National Council of Applied Economic Research, India in paper on Urbanization and Socio-Economic Consequences -- A Case Study for Delhi - presented in Population Association of America -2004 Annual Meeting Program, held at Sheraton Boston Hotel, Boston MA on 1- 3rd April 2004. In this report Team CHETNA had assessed that on 20 busiest intersections with waiting cycle of 8 minutes, fuel worth Rs.24 crores and man hours worth Rs.1300 crores - annual went up in smoke. Thereafter, the Central Institute had only assessed the fuel wastage and no one has assessed  the colossal waste of precious man hour. Keeping in mind inflation and city expansion the same would have multiplied at least by 5 times despite construction of fly overs where the congestion points have been shifted before and after flyover.

In fact no one is interested in working out this cost as it took us almost one month time for study of  each of the intersections.

--
Anil Sood
Hony President - CHETNA

Web site: www.spchetna.com

Blog; www.enlightendcitizenry.blogspot.com

The donations to the Society are exempt from Income Tax under Section 80 G of Income Tax vide order No. DIT(E)/2009-2010/S-2560/1399 dated 2nd September, 2009 from 01-04-09 onwards.

The information contained in this e-mail is private & confidential and may also be legally privileged. While the information contained in this document and any of its attachments is provided for the assistance of the recipient, the same should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional, technical or legal advice; unless it is sent after being duly signed by the firm in hardcopy. The contents of this mail and any of its attachments are subject to change without notice. If you are not the intended recipient of this mail, please notify us, preferably by e-mail; and do not read, copy or disclose the contents of this message to anyone. Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses, e-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information can be corrupted, intercepted, lost or contain viruses. We do       not accept liability for such matter or their consequences.

--
REJIMON C K.
Sent over wireless Network ... Google Nexus Phone.

mythili anil

Dec 21, 2014, 10:54:37 PM12/21/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com, sd...@googlegroups.com
Your point is very much true. We are experiencing this type of waiting in signals from Dwarka itself. Lot of time and petrol is wasted in peak hours. We need more flyovers in Delhi. Start from sector 1 signal Dwarka.

Regards.
Mythili Attavar

Dec 24, 2014, 1:33:57 AM12/24/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Barcelona is breaking its flyovers. and many other cities across the world. Flyover is not a solution. True to its meaning a Flyover helps us ' fly over' the problem for some time before it leads to a more serious one. Thats what Prof Vikram Soni said to Sheila Dixit when she was touting the flyovers as her achievement. He was right, the problem has remained same, rather, increased at many places.
Maithiliji, The Govt would love to look at things the way you are looking at. Without anyone's asking they are building a huge elevated corridor from Vikaspuri to Mukarba chowk. Flover over a traffic crossing was something we could understand, but we never imagined a flyover that is 18 kms long. Thats what they are doing now. Just like the ring road is choked, even this would choke some day, say 10 years after it get operational. Then, we would have to make another elevated over elevated corridor. The Govt of that day would advertise it as a highest elevated corridor in Asia or something. They have their ways and means to mislead you. And, remember, you and I are not paying for these flyovers, its the poor of this country who are displaced from their lands, jungles cut to mine, build cement , steel factories  etc.  And, its never ending! Your every demand for a flyover shall be met successfully, have no doubts on that. Govt. is always a step ahead in capital intensive project. Thats where the money exchange hands in all manners.
Solutions lie in planning without provision for more flyovers; improve public transport and  respecting limits to size of city.
--
Diwan Singh

Yamuna Satyagraha
Ridge Bachao Andolan
Campaign for Preservation of Commons

Vineet

Dec 24, 2014, 8:41:29 AM12/24/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com, DWARKA-R...@googlegroups.com, sd...@googlegroups.com
The simplest solution is to promote and use the public transportation. For this the metro has been introduced, but its optimal usage is possible only when the LAST MILE CONNECTIVITY is provided. e.g in Dwarka the Rickshaw fleece by charging even more than what the onwards Metro journey will cost typically

RTV sewa does not cover major parts of Dwarka sectors. But with the re-introduction of the e-rickshaw should help (although the risk comes back with them)

Regards\Vineet Aggarwal

R. Dua

Dec 24, 2014, 11:34:17 AM12/24/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com

Once again we understand the logic behind Shri Diwan ji's post. He has described it so graphically that it reminds of a futuristic foreign movie in which humans living in cubicles high above the earth n no other life form is exists.Earth surface  covered in soot n air not fit to breathe.
I know this is far ahead but if we don't act now this can come true.
Actually I met some canadian children,friends of kids,who are on a visit to India.They said we are Blessed in India to have such good topography.We must preserve our green cover n fresh air.
Regards to all and Merry Christmas.

REJIMON C K

Dec 24, 2014, 11:36:59 AM12/24/14
to DWARKA FORUM
Diwan ji, are you sure the Barcelona is demolishing the fly overs ?
There areas where need be it FO, UP, OB you name it differently. But at the same time where number of areas where it can be done without FO and make it round about.

The city will only grow as migration will grow as every one want better life, eduction and job n settlement.. The growth or development of other areas are not priority..  Public transport like metro may help but it need additional support mechanism.

We all may have shifted out Delhi, if we got better option !

Diwan Singh

Dec 26, 2014, 11:27:10 AM12/26/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Rejimon. Dr. Soni told me how the Mayor of Barcelona personally took him to the demolished  flyover to show it to  him. There are reports from Seoul too on that.
There have been more reports I am not able to recollect now. But, on internet you can find sufficient examples.

R. Dua

Dec 28, 2014, 11:13:57 AM12/28/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com

Sirs,
Article in today's TOI that last mile connectivity to Metro is being worked out by the DDA boss.Am sure if this workout we will have less traffic congestion on our roads and the ppl will not hesitate to walk.
Regards to all.

Dinesh Kr Khandelwal

Dec 28, 2014, 11:15:20 AM12/28/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com, sd...@googlegroups.com
please protest against constructing of new flyover rather focus on improving public transport..
--
Thanks & Regards,
Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kr Khandelwal

Dec 28, 2014, 11:15:28 AM12/28/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com, sd...@googlegroups.com
flyover is not a solution, rather flyover would create more complex problem in future.. public transport is the only solution..

SK MALIK

Dec 28, 2014, 11:15:35 AM12/28/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com

Seoul, South Korea

Cheonggye Freeway

In the 1970s, it was considered a symbol of progress when the Cheonggyecheon River in Seoul, Korea, was covered and a road and elevated freeway were built above it. But by the year 2000, the Cheonggye area was considered the most congested and noisy part of Seoul, badly in need of revitalization, and people agreed that nothing could be done to improve the area as long as the road and freeway remained.
When Lee Myung-bak was elected Mayor of Seoul in 2001, one of his key campaign promises was to remove this freeway and restore the Cheonggyecheon River. He developed a dramatic plan to remove Seoul's mone major freeway and to accommodate the displaced traffic by building a Bus Rapid Transit system and by cutting automobile use in half.
Lee’s election provided a mandate for the plan. The project to remove the freeway and restore the stream was completed in 2005, at the end of Lee’s four-year term as mayor. The project earned Lee the nick name of "Mr. Bulldozer" and made him a leading contender to become president of South Korea.