Dwarka Road repair awaits handover to PWD (HT)

sareendwarka

Sep 13, 2014, 6:36:32 AM9/13/14
to DWARKA FORUM

Road repair awaits handover to PWD (HT)

http://paper.hindustantimes.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

The crossing outside the DDA command tank 4 (Sector 20), and the road leading to Sector 23 (Poochanpur Village, NH-8 and Gurgaon) would qualify as one of the worst stretches in the city. Driving on the road is a nightmare that the area residents have been facing for years now.

regular movement of DDA water tankers is why the road is in such a bad state.

Though the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) set to hand over the maintenance of all roads in Dwarka to the Public Works Department, Delhi Government, a transfer that is taking its own sweet time, the residents would have to suffer some more. The main reason for the poor state of this stretch is the presence of the DDA command tank. Throughout the day, DDA tankers come here to fill water and routinely spill water as they move out. It is this continues spilling of water on the road surface that damages the road.

"The only solution is to lay a concrete road here as the tar road breaks down easily due to water. There was a similar problem on the master plan road outside DDA command tank 2, outside Madhu Vihar. There, a concrete road has helped," says Subhash Diwan, a resident of Sector 10.

A few months back, the DDA had relaid all the main roads in Dwarka at a cost of Rs 40 crore. But this road was left out. "When we approached the DDA engineers we were told that a concrete road would be laid here and for that a separate tender would be floated. But that never happened. As the DDA is going to give all Dwarka roads to PWD, it seems they are not bothered to repair them now. Things will improve only when PWD takes over. But till that time the DDA should at least repair the road temporarily," says Sunil Sareen from Dwarka Forum.

It is clear that when PWD finally takes over Dwarka master plan roads, it has its work cut out. Many other stretches in Dwarka, especially internal roads in sectors are in a poor condition. The transfer of roads from DDA to PWD is taking time, and once that is done, the PWD would take its own time to make assessments, sanctions and going through the tendering process before work on the roads could start.

According to the DDA chief engineer, Dwarka project, DP Singh, DDA has given all the details regarding the master plan roads to PWD. "DDA has been managing master plan roads in Dwarka for years and things should have been taken over by PWD long back. As of now PWD is conducting a survey of the roads and they will soon take over the roads once that is done. We will review the process on September 15 and I hope PWD would take over after that," he said.