Started way back in 2008, the rail overbridge in Bijwasan is nowhere near completion (HT)

sareendwarka

Sep 13, 2014, 6:36:19 AM9/13/14
to DWARKA FORUM

Started way back in 2008, the rail overbridge in Bijwasan is nowhere near completion (HT)

The area residents would have to wait some more for the long delayed project of a rail overbridge (ROB) at Bijwasan.

new deadline for the completion of the project is December this year.

We hope there are no more delays in the project. They should also not wait for any VIP to inaugurate it. SURAJ SHERAWAT , resident

The process of building the ROB, which is designed to ease traffic congestion in the area, was approved way back in 2008.

According to the officials concerned the new deadline for the completion of the project is December this year.

The ROB is being constructed at the cost of Rs 44.2 crore by the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC).

The residents, especially those living around the ROB project area, are very disturbed about the delay in the project.

Says Suresh Solanki, an area resident, "At times we feel that we were better off without this project, when there was a level crossing here. It seems as though this project would never be completed. Even now things are moving very slowly."

Even though the pace has been painfully slow, a majority of the work has now been completed and the final shape of the project is quite visible.

Says the area MLA, Satprakash Rana, "The SDMC has had problems with the contractor, which has caused the delay."

Says AP Singh from the area RWA, "We have been after the SDMC for years, trying to get them to hurry up the project. Besides the difficulty faced by the commuters as well as residents, the business of the shopkeepers on the Bijwasan road, many of whom also live here, has been adversely effected due to this project."

The construction of the ROB at Bijwasan level crossing was approved by the technical committee of the Delhi Development Authority in 2007. Following this the administrative approval was given and financial sanction was awarded in June 2008.

The project once completed would help vehicular traffic at the railway crossing. It will also include the construction of a service road, drain, footpath and an alternative road for diversion of traffic.