Save migratory birds - Athithi Devo Bhova

Arun Banerjee

Nov 25, 2014, 7:51:13 AM11/25/14
to dgfi...@nic.in, se...@nic.in, dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

It was reported in Mail Today that over 5000 migratory birds find a new sanctuary in Delhi for the winter.  Now it has become a poachers haven.  The links are attached below for your kind perusal.

It is requested to kindly look into and initiate suitable action to save birds life.

Over 5,000 migratory birds find a new sanctuary in Delhi for the winter... in Najafgarh sewer
MAILTODAY NOVEMBER 4, 2014
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2819446/Over-5-000-migratory-birds-new-sanctuary-Delhi-winter-Najafgarh-sewer.html#ixzz3K4gowI7D
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Even as Delhi’s prominent and protected bird habitats lay waiting for migratory birds, the seasonal visitors have chosen to make a sewage drain — the Najafgarh nullah and jheel — their home in the city.

Over 5,000 birds of at least 16 different species have arrived here already. These include the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) red-listed Painted Stork, Sarus Crane, Black-Necked Stork, Black-Tailed Godwit and Black-Headed IBIS

Peace and security

In comparison, the famous Okhla Bird Sanctuary has received only around 1,000 birds spanning 10 species, most of which are suspected to have flown away due to disturbance already.

Habitat: Black-headed Ibis drink from the river. The Najafgarh drain runs from Haryana to Uttam Nagar, submerging into the Yamuna finally
+2

Habitat: Black-headed IBIS drink from the river. The Najafgarh drain runs from Haryana to Uttam Nagar, submerging into the Yamuna finally

Birdwatchers in Delhi say the Najafgarh drain and jheel is emerging as a preferred destination for winter migratory birds due to its quiet surroundings and a semblance of security.

More birds are expected to land here as the winter months roll out.

The Najafgarh drain runs from Haryana to Uttam Nagar, finally submerging into the Yamuna.

It is the stretch from the Chhawla BSF Camp to Haryana border post which birds have found most suitable.

*********

Najafgarh turns into a poacher's haven

Baishali Adak   |   Mail Today  |   New Delhi, November 25, 2014 | UPDATED 12:57 IST

A bird seen trapped in a mesh laid by poachers.Exotic winter migratory birds, which brave adverse weather and vast stretches of land to reach Delhi at this time, are now falling prey to poachers. Najafgarh drain and jheel, that have recently recorded the maximum number of migratory birds among all habitats in the region, is lined with traps to ensnare the unsuspecting birds.

These include net meshes, stickand-thread set-ups and what are known as 'gum traps'. Birds get entangled in these during the day and are 'collected' by poachers at night.

These traps were noticed by environment sciences students of the nearby Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University during their research work and birdwatching excursions. They students say they have been seeing these 'instruments' for a long time but did not realise their real 'use' till they saw birds actually stuck in them. Large tufts of feather lying around these sites, indicating 'undressing' of the birds, confirmed their suspicion.

Bird enthusiasts say Najafgarh jheel could have become a favourite hunting ground for such elements because of its 'unprotected status' and 'undisturbed surroundings'. Winter migratory birds are sought after for their meat and also for TRADING. Old Delhi has for long been known as a market for bird trading.

Dr Sanjay Keshari Das, Assistant Professor at the School of Environment Management in GGSIP University, said: "At first we saw large net meshes on the grassland adjoining the drain… Then we also saw gum traps. We realised that a well-organised network of poachers is operating in the drain and jheel," Das added.

Ecologist T.K. Roy said he has seen carcasses of birds in these parts which villagers attributed to poisoning. "In the last two years, when I went there for the winter Asian Waterbird Census counting, I spotted dead birds. The villagers there told me that poison is left in the water consumed by birds. At night, they are picked up by the poachers, poisoned intestines removed and the meat sold," Roy told MAIL TODAY.

Another birdwatcher K.B. Singh added, "We too noticed this activity some months back when there were not as many winter migratory birds but a good number of the summer resident waterfowl. We found the poachers were carrying spotbilled ducks and common moorhens in gunny bags. When we confronted them, they fled. The fact that this kind of an activity is going on in the national Capital is really condemnable."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2819446/Over-5-000-migratory-birds-new-sanctuary-Delhi-winter-Najafgarh-sewer.html#ixzz3K4fmoZ29

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/najafgarh-turns-into-a-poacher-haven-birds/1/403573.html

--
অরূণ ব্যানার্জী
αrun ßanerjee

R. Dua

Dec 7, 2014, 10:30:03 PM12/7/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com

Sorry to say this haryana belt needs to be educated and the mind sets to change.
The people are determined lot but brains are focussed on bygone times.What a waste of energy.
Look at Rajasthan.A tourist n visitor paradise.
Regards.

--
Membership Application- Please visit...
http://www.dwarkaforum.org/self-support/

We are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Dwarkaforum
DWARKA FORUM (Regd) www.dwarkaforum.org
---

Diwan Singh

Dec 9, 2014, 4:26:01 AM12/9/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Dua Sahab,

Najafgarh jheel is in Delhi. The Haryanavis, and the villagers of Delhi do not eat meat and are compassionate to animals. Traditionally, all are pure vegetarians, except for the valmiki community.
Unfortunately, after urbanisation the culture of eating chicken and mutton has started among the youth. Yet, they would never kill a bird or animal themselves.
Sushil Kumar, Olympic silver medallist, is pure vegetarian; he vomits if a egg dish is placed in front of him. He belongs to Baprola vllage, next to Najafgarh and Dwarka. Vijender Singh, famous boxer from Haryana, too is a pure vegetarian.

There is no history of hunting in this region. Mughals did it despite the protest by locals, but they are no more.

The problem lies with the authorities. If they take seriously, things can come under control.
Its for educated people like you to pursue and preserve this natural heritage.

--
Diwan Singh

Yamuna Satyagraha
Ridge Bachao Andolan
Campaign for Preservation of Commons

R. Dua

Dec 13, 2014, 11:02:24 AM12/13/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com

You are right Sir. As I don't the local ppl so well I stand corrected. Please carry on the good work with the active involvement of local youth.
I wish we could include environment studies at local school level.
With Regards.