Hill states suffer 'massive' deforestation thanks to road building boom

Arun Banerjee

Oct 1, 2014, 6:25:51 AM10/1/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

Below are extracts from the news item as in the subject line.

The ministry’s central zone cleared 69 proposals in 2013, diverting 236.62 hectares of forests for non-forest uses in HP.
During the last five months, the ministry cleared 17 projects requiring the diversion of 46.95 hectares of forests in Himachal Pradesh
According to the 2013 State of the Forest Report, neither J&K nor HP has a forest cover of 33 per cent as stipulated by the National Forest Policy of 1988.

The link is

Rajesh Chhikara

Oct 1, 2014, 7:20:01 AM10/1/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
We and the govt need to think over it.

Take the case of Noida and Gurgaon, in the name of development Govt has already handed over so much land to builders to construct buildings, as a result most of these buildings are unoccupied. Builder are selling flats in the way a car company tries to sell its model which is not in demand.

All this is because both politicians and builders want to earn more and more money at the cost of environment norms that we are not following.

The day is not far away when we will need to pay the cost for this.

--
Membership Application- Please visit...
http://www.dwarkaforum.org/self-support/

We are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Dwarkaforum
DWARKA FORUM (Regd) www.dwarkaforum.org
---

R. Dua

Oct 1, 2014, 10:58:45 AM10/1/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com

Lavasa is a case in point in mindless urbanisation of natural landscape in Maharashtra.Always some politicians hand in this.
The consequences are far reaching and irreparable.
Why can't we learn from recent events like J&K floods.The families affected are ruined as most of their savings were in the form of family heirlooms like priceless shawls n artifacts, i have been told.

Rajesh ji you are right.Met a salesperson in sec 4 mkt while I was running errands for house.
Just a form she was waving n even the 11 thousand required for booking in Dwk expressway will be financed! Did not enquire further as the whole thing looked very sketchy.

Thanks to ppl who speak up to save Nature and Green.
Regards.

Diwan Singh

Oct 2, 2014, 6:25:54 AM10/2/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Urbanisation is driving most of the destruction- its direct and indirect, both. If we trace the footprints of urbanisation, its huge.

Delhi gets it water from Tehri dam, 400 kms away. Its empties its waste into river Yamuna turning into a sewage canal. These are just direct impacts. Indirect ones are far more. Urban living involves huge resource consumption. As per an estimate, per capita urban consumption is 30 times more than rural. Cities are also highly waste inefficient.

Mahatma Gandhi was a man of research and great intuition. In his book " Gram Swaraj," he called the "growth of cities as evil."

I with my team members at Natural Heritage First shall do a research study on this subject.
Anyone interested please contact.

Diwan Singh

Yamuna Satyagraha
Ridge Bachao Andolan