FOOTPATHS NOWHERE TO STEP - VIP zone shows civic bodies can keep pavements clear (TOI)

sareendwarka

Sep 20, 2014, 1:34:26 AM9/20/14
to DWARKA FORUM

NDMC, Traffic Cops Don't Allow Illegal Shops And Parking

When it comes to keeping the city's pavements free of encroachment, the civic agencies have no end of excuses for their failure, but in the VVIP zone of Lutyens' Delhi these same issues--multiplicity of authorities, weak laws, etc--cease to be a problem. It is hard to find pavements encroached by shopkeepers or vehicles parked on them.

The reason for this is simple: strict enforcement by the civic agencies. New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has teams whose only job is to remove encroachments. Although there are kiosks and permanent shops on the main roads, the civic agency has developed space for them along the pavements. No shop blocks a pavement.

“We have eight teams to remove encroachments. They take action against encroachment every day . In the NDMC area, there aren't any illegal permanent structures on pavements. We get several com plaints of encroachment every day , but as we take prompt action, the problem is not so serious here,'' said A K Mishra, director enforcement and spokesperson, NDMC.

The problem of encroachment on pavements is not so serious here, as the population density is low and the area falls under a high-security zone.“Encroachment is a problem in high-density residential areas or popular markets. As there is a demand for goods, kiosks and permanent structures come up on pavements. But this is mostly a VVIP area with very low population density ,'' said an official. Even in the most crowded areas like Connaught Place, Sarojini Nagar etc, it is hard to find illegal permanent structures on pavements or vehicles parked on them. NDMC and Delhi Traffic Police regularly take action against them. “We tow away vehicles. Pavements are for pedestrians and we try our best to keep them free of encroachment. Even in crowded areas, vehicles are not parked on pavements,'' said Mishra.

While there are no permanent structures blocking pavements, popular markets in the area face the problem of encroachment by hawkers, for instance in CP . While many of these makeshift markets have got stay orders from courts, the civic agency is struggling to keep a check on new ones. Its officials issue challans to unauthorized hawkers but find it difficult to keep a check on them.

In Connaught Place, New Delhi Traders' Association has been demanding that the corridors and pavements be rid of encroachments. “Corridors are for pedestrians to walk in, but hawkers have encroached upon them. There is an urgent need to rehabilitate these hawkers so that the market can be developed as per international standards,'' said Atul Bhargava, president of NDTA.

NDMC officials admit that this is a serious problem. The civic agency has drafted a new policy for street vendors. “The policy has been sent to Delhi LG Najeeb Jung for approval. Once it is cleared, we will start rehabilitation of street vendors,'' said an official.

READERS SPEAK

The Bhisham Pitamah Road, connecting South Ex to Defence Colony, is occupied by trucks carrying timber and vendors. This is a four-lane road but encroachments have left very little space for traffic movement. I have raised the matter with local authorities; even the traffic police are aware of it but no action has been taken -Lajpat Dang

The Sai Mandir in Mayur Vihar Phase I Extn has encroached upon the footpath in the area. Permanent structures and gates have been built on the pavement but the civic authorities have turned a blind eye to the issue -Navneet Kumar Jain

In Sadar Bazar, the pavements seem like extended godowns of transporters. They have even put up barbed wire and other structures to prevent people from using pavements. People are forced to walk on the road. It seems these encroachments are taking place with the municipal corporation's approval -Naresh Kumar

Arun Banerjee

Sep 20, 2014, 10:36:34 AM9/20/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com

Dear all
My comment was published in TOI. It was in response against an RTI filed by me.

" I may add that as per my RTI response, PWD has replied that due to convenience of the private shops and houses, ramps and stairs built on footpath can not be removed. However, space has been left for pedestrians.

Can it be taken that public land be used for private purposes this way. Will it not encourage encroachment on footpath?"

The reply shows the intention & how pvt builders are ruling & doing mercy for pedestrians. Shameless fellows.

Arun Banerjee

--
Membership Application- Please visit...
http://www.dwarkaforum.org/self-support/

We are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Dwarkaforum
DWARKA FORUM (Regd) www.dwarkaforum.org
---
P_20140920_172916.jpg

vinodks1

Sep 22, 2014, 1:13:09 AM9/22/14
to Arun Banerjee, dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Dwarka sub city- the so called 'no tolerance' zone is slowly and steadily getting converted ino an encroaching vendors paradise. One can see all kinds of vendors on Dwarka Link Road, opp. Sector 21 metro....and so on...posing security risks and traffic hazards. The authorities turn a blind eye for obvious reasons. Dwarka Roads will soon be like Vikas Marg if no action is taken.
Vinod Sharma

Sent from Samsung Mobile