Two sides of a coin

Arun Banerjee

Jul 28, 2014, 5:49:58 AM7/28/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

Armymen in guns row get wrists slapped

By Harish V. Nair in New Delhi

AT a time when the feats of Kargil War heroes are being commemorated across the country, details have emerged of shameless acts of greed by several Army officials, abetted by the defence ministry’s leniency under the UPA rule that endangered security.

The defence ministry under the UPA government has admitted in the apex court to illegal sale of personal weapons and gun licences by Army officers to dubious persons in Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan and Punjab.

Affidavits admitted the involvement of Army units posted in militancy- affected Kathua, Kupwara and Srinagar districts of Jammu and Kashmir in such offences. An affidavit filed by the previous defence ministry in response to a query by the apex court, accessed by M AIL T ODAY , gives details of the punishment handed down to the 73 Army personnel — including officers of the rank of major, brigadier and lieutenant colonel — held guilty in the last three years.

The sentence for three lieutenant colonels — V. S. Rathore ( who sold 17 weapons), B. S. Shekhawat ( who sold 11 weapons) and Neeraj Rana ( who sold five weapons) – after a hyped General Court Martial was mere forfeiture of pay hike and seniority ranging from three years to one year and “ severe reprimand”. “ These three officers were found to have exploited the easy availability of firearms with army officers and were actively involved in sale/ purchase of weapons to various arm dealers,” said the affidavit submitted by UPA’s defence ministry director Praveen Kumar.

Army officers can buy weapons like 9 mm pistols or .30 bolt action rifles from ordnance factories at cheap prices for personal use. These are called Non Standard Pattern weapons and cannot be sold to ordinary citizens.

The affidavit said authorities had carried out a “ detailed investigation of 140 names, including retired officers, wives and civilians following a court of inquiry ordered by South Western Command between September 2007 and July 2011”. A two- judge bench of the Supreme Court will pronounce its stand on the affidavit on August 26.

The court sought the affidavit in response to a PIL filed in 2007 by lawyer Arvind Kumar Sharma, who drew attention to an alleged “ widespread nexus” involving Army officers and arms dealers.

The court had earlier questioned the light punishment given to its Army officers and observed, “ These officers are running an industry... can we close our eyes? Are mere reprimands and fine of just ` 500 and forfeiture of service adequate?”

--
অরূণ ব্যানার্জী
αrun ßanerjee

JAI PRAKASH Tiwaree

Jul 29, 2014, 10:30:11 AM7/29/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Dear sir,
Every honest citizen like farmer,industrial worker and labour and employees of other service sector work for the welfare of Country.But only Army people are being facilitated with many facilities which others are deprived off.This is partiality which is injurious for health of the country.If army man do not want to fight war then why they are being employed.By taking employment with army it is there duty work for their institution as in other sectors.If any body like police,coal miners or rescue team,fire fighters loses theirs job,they are not being facilitated as army.This is injustice.All are equal.
I beg to be excused if interest of any one is being hurt.
regards
J.P,.Tiwari

--
Membership Application- Please visit...
http://www.dwarkaforum.org/self-support/

We are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Dwarkaforum
DWARKA FORUM (Regd) www.dwarkaforum.org
---

Krishna

Jul 30, 2014, 4:00:23 AM7/30/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Why only Army, talk about PSUs or any other government jobs..
Main problem is there is no culture of layoffs in the goverment job linked to performance.. We all see long discussions of the govt. people always comparing for MNCs salary but they never ask for other things like work hours, performance, job security etc of those MNCs. :).
I read some news in a paper that in US, government laid off all teachers bcoz the students were not performing good in their school for few years in a row. Once we see such things in India, everyone will be working seriously in govt. jobs too.
Honestly, I am jealous when i meet my relatives who are in government jobs :)

regards
Krishna

vinodks1

Jul 30, 2014, 11:16:59 AM7/30/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Private Sector Employees are the worst sufferers. Maximum contribution to taxes..no pension after retirement. ...no medical facilities. ..no social security. ..Recenly MP's are learnt to have given themselves the gift of enhanced pension. What specifically the MP's contribute?. It's time that Pvt. Sector employees and professionals come together and demand a dignified existence after retirement. ..they should not be left to fend for themselves in their golden years after having worked hard for the entire life and honestly paying their taxes. Let's ponder over it..
Vinod Sharma

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Krishna

Jul 31, 2014, 4:30:29 AM7/31/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com, vino...@gmail.com
In developed nations, the more tax you give, the more social security in your golden years you are entitled to.. Something like this should come in our country also. here its opposite, the more you give, the more foolish you are..
If you recall govt. has recently PROPOSED to increase minimum pension of everyone to 1000Rs as private very good 10+2 class school teachers are getting 400Rs pension whereas govt. primary school teacher in village gets 8000Rs :).

JAI PRAKASH Tiwaree

Jul 31, 2014, 12:33:55 PM7/31/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
It is pity that private sectors are unorganized backed by yes boss culture. The public sector is victim of envious approach by fellow countrymen. Contribution of public sector is not less commendable. It is law of the land and greed  of the people who used to made simple employee not to work under undue pressure.

Krishna

Aug 1, 2014, 4:09:31 AM8/1/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
So you mean once private sector employees is organized like government sector, we will be good... If we do strikes, companies will make loss and close out. Who will get them salary free for life unlike government sector?. Public sector must be reformed to have job linked with performance with layoffs as needed, removing perks they get at tax payers expenses, closing all loss making units and having social security post retirement just like any other citizen of nation..When they were working, they get paid monthly and they should manage it just like how private and unorganized sector is expected to manage their life after retirement.

Why we have two sets of facilities for citizens by same government, one for its own so called servants and one for rest of nation?. We all are equal so should be entitled same treatment by goverment when it comes to citizen's welfare.

SK MALIK

Aug 2, 2014, 12:42:14 PM8/2/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
NO MORE PSU IN FUTURE
EXISTING PROFIT MAKING WILL BE SOLD
LOSS MAKING WILL BE RETAINED

DWARKA FORUM (Regd) http://www.dwarkaforum.org/

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DWARKA FORUM (Regd)" group.
Membership Application- Please visit...
http://www.dwarkaforum.org/self-support/

We are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Dwarkaforum
DWARKA FORUM (Regd) http://www.dwarkaforum.org/

---
Membership Application- Please visit...
http://www.dwarkaforum.org/self-support/

We are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Dwarkaforum
DWARKA FORUM (Regd) http://www.dwarkaforum.org/

---

R. Dua

Aug 4, 2014, 2:28:56 AM8/4/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com

Krishna ji, you do believe in calling a spade a spade.
State n Centre run orgs are pampered lot.
As you say striking n go slow is a weapon they hve.We as citizens jst hve to suffer silently or be stuck for ever in babudom.
Another amusing aside is that in matrimonials,the sarkaris get more weight age.
And the worst part of this,as you rightly state,is the big money going into an endless pit.Wonder what is in store in govt.
Regards.

Surjit Chetal

Aug 5, 2014, 12:30:07 PM8/5/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
In PSU the management do not hv the right to manage its affairs.It is a playfield for the Bureaucrats and politicians.