VYAPAM WHISTLEBLOWERS PAY PRICE FOR DOING RIGHT

1 view

SK MALIK

Jul 28, 2015, 3:36:40 AM7/28/15
to DWARKA FORUM
VYAPAM WHISTLEBLOWERS PAY PRICE FOR DOING RIGHT

Punishment postings, police threats, car crashes, they are facing it all

From punishment postings and police harassment to threat calls and mysterious car crashes, whistle-blowers in a widening recruitment and admission scandal in Madhya Pradesh say they are under relentless pressure to back down in a scam that threatens the career of chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.

The scandal, in which thousands got jobs or entry into medical schools by systematic rigging of exams by organised gangs as well as people close to Chouhan, has got murkier with the deaths of at least 40 people, many of them under mysterious circumstances, linked to the fraud.

Among the first to blow the lid off the scandal was Dr Anand Rai, who was recently transferred to Dhar from Indore on the excuse that all doctors with the health department were being repatriated to their parent hospital. His wife, also a doctor, had already been transferred to Ujjain.

Last week, the BJP came out with a booklet that called Rai and another whistleblower Prashant Pandey “criminals”, though they said they had been acquitted in a couple of minor cases during their college life.

“I was given an offer that I may be retained in Indore … if I dissociate myself with the Vyapam scam but I told them there could be no bargaining on corruption,” Dr Rai told HT.

“Politicians, officials known to me would often tell me not to get entangled in the fight with high and mighty or else anything could happen: ‘You may end up being killed or languishing in jail’.”

State minister for health Narottam Mishra denied the government was persecuting Dr Rai.

“There is no question of targeting anyone. As far as Dr Rai’s transfer is concerned, everyone who was on attachment (to another hospital) has been sent to their original place of posting,” he said.

Whistle blowers Ashish Chaturvedi and Ajay Dubey agree with Dr Rai on the ingenious dissuasion tactics they say are being employed by the police, officials and politicians to make them stop pursuing the case.

Surjit Chetal

Jul 28, 2015, 8:43:22 AM7/28/15
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
i think public has seen only tip of iceberg.there cud be lot of troubles for whistle blowers.All top officials ex as well as present may be found guilty.It is going to turn in to. mammoth task. May god help.
chetal sk

--
Membership Application- Please visit...
http://www.dwarkaforum.org/self-support/