Dwarka senior citizens take up issue of old age home in the subcity (HT)

Sunil Sareen

Apr 13, 2014, 3:57:14 AM4/13/14
to DWARKA FORUM
Dwarka senior citizens take up issue of old age home in the subcity

A building in Sector 8, Dwarka, built by the Delhi Government for a noble public cause is still waiting for its first user as the government seems to be dithering in its decision making. The building, which was completed some five years ago, was originally made to house an old age home.

The members of Sukh Dukh Ke Saathi, a group of Dwarka based senior citizens has been following up this issue with the authorities for some time now, but without much success. The group has even offered to operate the old age home as a voluntary service if need be.

The area residents point out that the government must have initially decided to construct an old age home after some feedback or survey.

Says PB Misra from Sukh Dukh Ke Saathi, "Why is the government not interested in running a facility after creating it. A similar old age home created by the Delhi Government in Bindapur is operational. Another private old age home being run by a private agency in Sector 2 Dwarka has a waiting list of two-three years of people wanting to join. This is clear indication that there is need for such a facility in Dwarka."

There is another such government facility in Rohini, which is being run by an NGO.

In April 2013, the group wrote to Kiran Walia, the then Delhi minister of social welfare, highlighting the need to start the old age home.

"Our letter was just forwarded to the Directorate of Social welfare for action with a note that we would be informed about the action taken. But no action was taken, and we were never informed. In fact, all our calls to the directorate office were unanswered," says SS Mann from Sukh Dukh Ke Sathi.

The group members also highlighted the issue with former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, while she was on a visit to Dwarka.

"She also promised action but nothing happened," says Mann.

According to sources, the government is now thinking of turning this facility into a girls' hostel and the matter has been turned over to the ministry of women and child welfare.

Says Jagdish Kharbanda, a senior citizen, "What is the point of creating a facility as an old age home and later turning it into something else. The private old age home in Dwarka is costly. There are many senior citizens in Dwarka and nearby areas who would like to use the facility but cannot afford it. If the Sector 8 facility is opened many poor senior citizens of the area would benefit."

kk.gu...@yahoo.com

Apr 13, 2014, 10:27:57 PM4/13/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
Excellent . The issue raised by you is of vital importance and deserved to be taken up on urgent basis . How the government officials can keep mum for 5yrs so they must be held responsible for such delayed and putting our money at stake .kindly send me details so that I can take up with appropriate authority for action regards kkgupta
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Sunil Sareen <sareen...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 13:27:14 +0530
Subject: [Dwarka Forum-] Dwarka senior citizens take up issue of old age home in the subcity (HT)
--
Membership Application- Please visit...
http://www.dwarkaforum.org/self-support/

We are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Dwarkaforum
DWARKA FORUM (Regd) www.dwarkaforum.org
---

Prem Bihari Mishra

Apr 15, 2014, 2:47:22 AM4/15/14
to dwarka-r...@googlegroups.com
The matter was highlighted by the local news papers as well as 'Nav Bharat Times' last year too, but fell in deaf years. Will be grateful for support of DF & its members.

----P.B. Mishra
--
 ----P.B. Mishra