Call for Abstracts: AGU 2018 Session GC066: "Managing regional and global agricultural sustainability using earth observations, modeling, and artificial intelligence”

Zhenong Jin

Jul 16, 2018, 3:36:35 PM7/16/18
to DS...@listserv.uga.edu
Dear all,

If you are considering attending the AGU Fall Meeting this year, my colleagues and I would like to draw your attention to a session we're convening that brings together academics and practitioners across disciplines working on issues related to sustainable agriculture. Please see the full session overview below.

The deadline for submissions is August 1st, and complete submission details are available here

We would greatly appreciate your help in forwarding this call to colleagues for whom this might be of interest.

Looking forward to seeing you in DC!

Best,
Zhenong Jin, George Azzari, Anthony D'Agostino, and Kaiyu Guan

Session GC066 Overview

Session Convener: Zhenong Jin (Stanford), George Azzari (Stanford), Anthony D'Agostino (Stanford), Kaiyu Guan (UIUC)

"Satisfying the food demand of a growing global population will be one of the most pressing challenges of this century, given the increasing competition for land and water resources. Agricultural production must therefore be intensified, yet in a sustainable manner that acknowledge ecological limits. Recent advances in satellites and sensors, new accessibility to hyper-local data, high-performance computing, and improved artificial intelligence techniques offer a set of tools of unprecedented power that can provide insights on agricultural features, and in turn, to inform decision making and advocate sustainability in both agribusiness and smallholder farming systems. We thus invite submissions addressing: 1) novel approaches to map and evaluate agricultural features and management practices across spatial scales, such as crop yields, yield gaps, cover crop adoption, and irrigation, 2) environmental assessment of these agricultural and management practices, 3) novel frameworks and decision support tools that leverage these new data streams for digital agriculture."

Invited Speaker:
David Mulla, University of Minnesota Twin-Cities
Rick Mueller, USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service