NEXT WEEK IN CGIAR BIG DATA WEBINARS: Future food systems & Collaborative GARDIAN Labs

Craig, Hannah (Alliance Bioversity-CIAT)

Jul 31, 2020, 3:48:43 PM7/31/20
to DS...@listserv.uga.edu

View this email in your browser

Join the conversation #BigDataInAg

WEEKLY WEBINAR ROUND-UP | 31.07.2020

Dear BIG DATA Community,

With the frequency and popularity of our webinars growing, we have decided to send out a weekly round-up of scheduled BIG DATA webinars, as well as events events from across the sector that we think might be of interest.

If you would like to have your event listed, feel free to email us using the contact details below.

FEATURED EVENT
DIGITAL FORUM: COVID-19 & FOOD SECURITY

EPISODE SIX
Future food systems
Date & time:
4 August 2020, 4:00 PM CEST (UTC + 2:00)

The CGIAR Platform for Big Data in Agriculture's digital forum on COVID-19 and food security brings emergent research and on-the-ground realities together in conversation in order to map out the direct impacts of the crisis across food value chains and glean data-driven recommendations and solutions.

This sixth episode will focus on the future of food systems.

UPCOMING WEBINARS

Collaborative GARDIAN Labs

Date & time:
6 August 2020, 2:00 PM CEST (UTC + 2:00)

The BIG DATA Platform has developed CG Labs as an offering of the GARDIAN Ecosystem. CG Labs is an open collaborative data science platform that allows researchers to work together on the same project using datasets securely transferred from GARDIAN and other trusted sources.

CG Labs helps discoverability, visualization, and collaborative analysis of data using R and Python programming languages. It enables secure transfer and storage of computer program codes and data files through Globus, another core shared service that the BIG DATA Platform provides. Shared analytical code will help accelerate analytics while avoiding duplication. This will ultimately increase efficiencies and facilitate the reproducibility of published work.

With CG Labs, we anticipate lowering the barrier to the practical use of big data in agricultural research.

The Science of Scaling

Date & time:
25 August 2020, 3:00 PM CEST (UTC + 2:00)

During the second webinar of the Data-Driven Agronomy Community of Practice’s series “Ingredients for Scaling,” panelists will examine questions such as:

  • What is the science of scaling and what have we learned so far?
  • What critical knowledge gaps are yet to be filled?
  • What are the roles and responsibilities of researchers and R4D centers, and how can development and research organizations learn from each other for sustainable change at scale?

The session will be moderated by Daniel Jimenez, leader of the Community of Practice, and Lennart Woltering, Scaling Catalyst.

WEBINARS FROM OUR NETWORK

African Green Revolution Virtual Summit
8-11 SEPTEMBER 2020
Hosts: Government of Rwanda and the AGRF Partners Group

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/59a7500ef5c94dd50e2b9e2fb/images/bb509242-2dc7-425e-b023-5c24a8261df2.png

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

If you missed attending one of our previous webinars, no worries! We've added the most recent here, as well as a link to our website page where you can watch all previous webinars.

The fifth session of our Ontologies Community of Practice's webinar series, "All about our products and their uses"...WATCH

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/59a7500ef5c94dd50e2b9e2fb/images/bb509242-2dc7-425e-b023-5c24a8261df2.png

OTHER EVENTS

Virtual Event: Digital Dynamism for Adaptive Food Systems
19-23 OCTOBER 2020
ONLINE & GLOBAL

#BDPGLOBAL2020

In response to the COVID-19 global pandemic, CGIAR is pivoting much of its 2020 plan towards response, recovery, and long-term resiliency of global food challenges. BIG DATA is supporting that effort, serving a cross-cutting, big-data enabling, and partnership role for our global organization. Our annual convention brings together thought leaders and change-makers in the digital technology and agriculture world to catalyze new partnerships for impact.

The event theme, Digital Dynamism for Adaptive Food Systems, will examine food system resilience and highlight how digital tools and technologies can help us sense, respond and (re)build better systems in times of global food security crises.

This convention will be the first One CGIAR hosted event, leveraging inclusive inputs from each of the global Centers offering a glimpse of how they are employing digitally-enabled, dynamic methods to combat global food security challenges flowing from current crises.

HAVE AN EVENT TO SUBMIT?
Please email big...@cgiar.org with the subject line: Webinar event for BIG DATA newsletter, including the link to the event and description. Please note: BIG DATA reserves the right of decision to publish.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/59a7500ef5c94dd50e2b9e2fb/images/bb509242-2dc7-425e-b023-5c24a8261df2.png

Were you forwarded this message? Subscribe to the BIG DATA mailing list to receive important news and updates first!

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/59a7500ef5c94dd50e2b9e2fb/images/bb509242-2dc7-425e-b023-5c24a8261df2.png

The CGIAR Platform for Big Data in Agriculture is led by

Visit our website to learn more

Copyright © 2020 CGIAR Platform for Big Data in Agriculture, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:

CGIAR Platform for Big Data in Agriculture

Km 17 Recta Cali-Palmira

Cali 6713

Colombia

Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list