Call for Discussion (1 of 2): shall we add support for more SQL dialects?

Hardy Pottinger

May 11, 2017, 10:53:41 AM5/11/17
to DSpace Developers
Hi, on the agenda [1] for the Developers Meeting yesterday (5/10/2017), we had a couple of discussion topics, however, we did not have enough attendees for a proper discussion, so I'm moving them to the developers mail list instead. This is the first message of two.

The question at hand is:

Shall we add support for more SQL dialects? There is a Jira issue for this general discussion, DS-3372 [2]. What prompted this call for discussion is the fact that @mire seems close to finishing a MySQL dialect contribution, see DS-3587 [3].

However, we need to have the larger discussion about MySQL dialect support, whether and which ones, before we can talk about specific contributions like DS-3587 [3].

I'll just kick things off: I know that MySQL support would be a big win for DSpace, but we do need to be intentional about what work we take on. Each dialect we support requires writing Flyway scripts, which need to be tested and maintained for the life of the project. This is not a decision to be taken lightly. However, if the work is almost done, I think it would be rather silly to turn it away, especially given the desirability of the feature.

While this mail list is public, discussion on this mail list should be linked or pasted into the general ticket, DS-3372 [2], to maximize the visibility of the discussion.

--Hardy