UX

Denkinson, Grant W.

Jun 22, 2016, 6:08:04 AM6/22/16
to dspace-c...@googlegroups.com
At Open Repositories 2016 in Dublin last week I went to some great DSpace dev sessions and offered to help with usability and accessibility testing. I'm wondering how that is best organised.
Grant
--
Grant Denkinson
Manager of Leicester Research Archive

Tim Donohue

Jun 22, 2016, 10:23:50 AM6/22/16
to Denkinson, Grant W., dspace-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,

Thanks for kicking off the discussion! As discussed at OR16, I think
the best way to move this effort forward would be to establish a User
Experience (UX) Interest Group or Working Group. The difference between
the two is that a Working Group signs up to achieve a specific goal (and
therefore is often time limited), while an Interest Group is ongoing
(and is more about discussing ongoing topics of interest).

In the case of a UX group, I suspect it'd be nice to achieve a few
specific tasks, namely beginning to "mock up" the user experience for
the new UI initiative. That way we can ensure that, as the new UI is
built, it is achieving the desired user experience. This may mean it'd
make sense to establish as a Working Group with definitive tasks
assigned to it (at least initially). Though, it'd also be possible to
start with a more general Interest Group, and create a (sub) Working
Group tasked directly with creating such UI mock ups, etc.

All we'd really need to get started is the following:

* One or two people interested in chairing/organizing such a group.
These chair(s) would organize meetings, ensure the notes/output are
publicly documented / reported back, and generally be the main contact
for the group (though they should feel free to delegate heavily to
others in the group to achieve any of these tasks).
* A rough draft of the perceived goals of the group (i.e. the "charge").
I'd be glad to provide feedback / ideas as necessary.

After that, we'd just need approval from the DSpace Steering Group
(which I will gladly help the group achieve). Then the group can begin
to put out a call for more members, and start scheduling meetings,
create a wiki page to store notes, etc. As examples, here's where we've
documented a few other Interest Groups / Working Groups:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Interest+Groups
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Working+Groups

I honestly love this idea, and I hope others would have an interest in
helping us to establish the first DSpace UX Interest Group. It'd be a
great way to ensure that, as we build the new UI for DSpace 7, we are
meeting the expectations and needs of repository managers (and general
users) worldwide.

Definitely let me know if there's any other way I can help. If there
are others on this list interested in joining such a group (or
chairing/co-chairing), I'd encourage you to respond (either on or off list).

Tim

--
Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect

margare...@bndes.gov.br

Jun 22, 2016, 4:42:51 PM6/22/16
to Tim Donohue, dspace-c...@googlegroups.com, Denkinson, Grant W.
Dear all,

I am really interested in this group.

Here at Brazilian Development Bank we're still using version 1.6 and we really need to discuss usability and accessibility.

Tim, could you please include me?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Margareth Ramos do Carmo Freitas - Bibliotecária - CRB/7-5127
Centro de Pesquisa de Informações e Dados - COPED - Coordenação
Área de Planejamento/DEPLAN-Departamento de Planejamento e Avaliação

Av. República do Chile, 100 - 1º andar / E-08
Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brasil - CEP 20031-917
Telefone: +55 21 2172-7240 / Fax: +55 21 2172-6256
www.bndes.gov.br

De: Tim Donohue <tdon...@duraspace.org>
Para: "Denkinson, Grant W." <gd...@leicester.ac.uk>, "dspace-c...@googlegroups.com" <dspace-c...@googlegroups.com>
Data: 22/06/2016 11:23
Assunto: Re: [dspace-community] UX
Enviado por: dspace-c...@googlegroups.com

"O remetente desta mensagem é responsável por seu endereçamento, seu conteúdo e seus anexos. Cabe a seus destinatários, inclusive aqueles copiados na mensagem, tratá-la adequadamente, com observância da legislação em vigor e dos normativos internos do BNDES, quando cabível. São proibidas, sem a devida autorização, a sua divulgação, reprodução e distribuição. A inobservância das proibições será passível de aplicação de sanções cíveis, criminais e disciplinares, quando cabíveis. Se você recebeu esta mensagem indevidamente, antes de removê-la de sua caixa postal, solicita-se o reenvio ao remetente, informando o ocorrido."

"The sender of this message is responsible for its addressing, contents and attachments. The receiver, including those copied in the message, is obliged to use it properly, in compliance with the law in effect and the BNDES' internal rules, if applicable. It is prohibited to disclose, reproduce and distribute e-mail messages without due consent. Failure to obey these instructions may give rise to civil, criminal or disciplinary measures, if applicable. If you have improperly received this e-mail, we kindly request you to forward the message to the sender stating the error prior to deleting it from your inbox."

Bram Luyten

Jun 25, 2016, 5:01:50 AM6/25/16
to margare...@bndes.gov.br, Tim Donohue, dspace-c...@googlegroups.com, Denkinson, Grant W.
A discussion about putting such a work group together and who would be interested to participate would be a great topic for one of the upcoming DCAT meetings:

To keep in touch with this group, please sign up to the DCAT specific mailing list (low volume of emails, promised!)

I'll put an email in there now to start the discussion of what the topics for next month's calls should be.

best regards,

Bram

--
logo
Bram Luyten

Hugh Paterson III

Jun 26, 2016, 10:06:47 PM6/26/16
to Bram Luyten, margare...@bndes.gov.br, Tim Donohue, dspace-c...@googlegroups.com, Denkinson, Grant W.
The organization I work with is using DSpace 4.x I am interested in also joining the UX interest group. I would like to know what is actually involved in a working group before I commit to such, but it remains a possibility.

- Hugh Paterson III

Tim Donohue

Jun 27, 2016, 11:33:48 AM6/27/16
to Bram Luyten, margare...@bndes.gov.br, dspace-c...@googlegroups.com, Denkinson, Grant W.
Hi Bram,

Thanks for helping push this along! I agree that, assuming DCAT can help make this UX discussion happen quickly, it'd be ideal to plan out the roles/responsibilities of such a UX group in the next DCAT meeting.

I'd highly recommend we advertise when this topic will be discussed (i.e. which DCAT meeting), to ensure we can get all interested parties to attend that DCAT meeting.  From discussions at OR16, it sounded like there was a good amount of interest in establishing a UX group as soon as possible (as their work could almost begin immediately, and need not wait on the UI developer team).  So, it'd be wonderful to see this group established soon (whether as a subgroup of DCAT, or as a separate, highly collaborative group).

Thanks again!  I'll gladly join the DCAT meeting to help move this effort forward in whatever way I can.

Tim

Bram Luyten

Jul 12, 2016, 10:56:49 AM7/12/16
to Tim Donohue, margare...@bndes.gov.br, dspace-c...@googlegroups.com, Denkinson, Grant W.
We are discussing how we can best approach this in today's DCAT call. You can dial in now

  • U.S.A/Canada toll free: 866-740-1260, participant code: 2257295
  • International toll free: http://www.readytalk.com/intl
    • Use the above link and input 2257295 and the country you are calling from to get your country's toll-free dial in #
    • Once on the call, enter participant code 2257295

More information:

--
logo
Bram Luyten
250 Lucius Gordon Drive, Suite B-3A, West Henrietta, NY 14586
Esperantolaan 4, Heverlee 3001, Belgium
www.atmire.com

Benedikt Kroll

Jul 12, 2016, 10:59:55 AM7/12/16
to dspace-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bram,

thanks! Is it also possible to dial in via skype as described in the
wiki:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/cmtygp/DCAT+Conference+Call+Dial-in ?

Thanks!

Benedikt