Blackmagic buy Eyeon Fusion...

Paul Ingvarsson

Sep 12, 2014, 4:36:35 AM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com

Igor Ridanovic

Sep 12, 2014, 12:11:17 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
Fusion is already very competitively priced. Are they going to give it away for free?

Igor Ridanovic
Kappa Studios, Inc.

3619 W. Magnolia Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91505

Sep 12, 2014, 12:20:21 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
I see this as Grant Petty buying IP.  Now, if he uses it to make a new DS by rolling Fusion's compositing tools into Resolve, well then.

But Eyeon has a few other products which could hold IP that is of interest to Grant.

Jef
--

Jef Huey

Senior Editor   |  Henninger Media Services

Arlington, VA  |  703-243-3444

Take a look at my work.

http://vimeo.com/album/1563194

Christian Vollenhofer

Sep 12, 2014, 12:29:25 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
.... they may merge it with davinci to build an online grade vfx monster .....

my2c

chris

Jeff Krebs

Sep 12, 2014, 1:30:33 PM9/12/14
to ds-list
Hi DS list,
First, I'm not at eyeon anymore, I made the decision to part before the BlackMagic buy out probably a little over a month ago. I did for many reasons and nothing to do with eyeon. I seriously love those guys and we parted as best of friends. Steve (CEO)  and the team are some of the best people  I know and every last member of the entire eyeon team are great and are truly genius, Blackmagic is very lucky to get these brilliant people on board.  I  decided to moved toward cloud based post-production working with Forbidden Technologies. SAAS environment, Solid infrastructure and relevant to the future of post. AND no competition with piracy. A major part of my decision to leave. was that I am disgusted with numerous studios culture of piracy, validating themselves to purchase a single license and stealing 200 more as educational evaluation. I wish I could name names, you'd be shocked and perhaps one day I will. Anyway,  it made it impossible for growth when the piracy user base outnumbered the legitimate user-base.  I wish was that was an exaggeration.

Putting on my crystal ball hat I can see serious expansion of the Fusion Generation eventually into resolve. Fusion is exactly what is needed to complete the Resolve story. A very deep/stable and incredibly fast vfx engine to stand alone or run as a vfx service inside.

If I was Avid, Quantel, Autodesk or The Foundry and be a little nervous right now about their position in the finishing market

Go Go Blackmagic Fusion!
Cheers from IBC

Igor Ridanovic

Sep 12, 2014, 1:38:19 PM9/12/14
to DS-List
You should make the step and challenge those who espouse piracy, It hurts the software developers and in turn it hurts us.

Legacy file uploads can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7UT9Nhp99kVZWMwZjdlYjgtYzMwYS00YjVhLTgwYWEtMGU2YTc2YzZmNWM4&hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DS-List" group.

Jeff Krebs

Sep 12, 2014, 1:51:41 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com

As numerous studios and the eyeon compliance firm are tied up the court system, I don't want to jeopardize any legal action and certainly want eyeon to get the significant revenue they are owed from these pirates... Ahem I mean major vfx studios.

...sent via Droid. Please excuse any typos

DAVID RENNKE

Sep 12, 2014, 1:59:04 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Jeff and best wishes for all your future endeavors!
It is encouraging to hope that Blackmagic will continue to expand the Resolve tool set and create a full featured finishing/editing application.

You are absolutely correct about the extent of software piracy prevalent out there. I encounter studios, engineering firms, and production houses every day who use cracks or bogus eval/education licenses to produce work.
It's just another manifestation of the overall culture of piracy and dishonesty that is gutting the music and film business, everyone from the consumers to the studios rationalizes their need to use or enjoy something without paying for it.
There are a lot of honest people out there with integrity but they have a hard time competing with dishonest practices that create artificially low rates.
Keep fighting the good fight!

David Rennke
Source Productions

Sep 12, 2014, 2:16:17 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
Wow, That's a lot of news Jeff, All the best in your new space in the
cloud. Stay in touch, the Digital Studio enjoys your insights
- Schy

On 2014-09-12 12:58, DAVID RENNKE wrote:
> [...]
> competition with piracy. A major part of my decision to leave. was
> that I am disgusted with numerous studios culture of piracy,
> validating themselves to purchase a single license and stealing 200
> more as educational evaluation. I wish I could name names, you'd be
> shocked and perhaps one day I will. Anyway, it made it impossible for
> growth when the piracy user base outnumbered the legitimate user-base.
> I wish was that was an exaggeration.
>
> Putting on my crystal ball hat I can see serious expansion of the
> Fusion Generation eventually into resolve. Fusion is exactly what is
> needed to complete the Resolve story. A very deep/stable and
> incredibly fast vfx engine to stand alone or run as a vfx service
> inside.
>
> If I was Avid, Quantel, Autodesk or The Foundry and be a little
> nervous right now about their position in the finishing market

Michael Forrest

Sep 12, 2014, 4:37:50 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
When I was working for Assimilate, we would see cracks showing up on CGPersia etc within weeks of a new version of software being released. Then the brazen Pirates would email in for support. They would get pissy when we pointed out that their software was cracked and asked them kindly to pay for it. I think the Adobe and Blackmagic model is about the only solution, make it cheap enough that it's more of a pain to crack than it's worth.

 For more options, visit this group at

 ---
Groups "DS-List" group.
 For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout [3].

 ---
Groups "DS-List" group.

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DS-List" group.

Michael Forrest

Post Box Post

Jeff Krebs

Igor Ridanovic

Sep 12, 2014, 5:24:15 PM9/12/14
to DS-List
But where do these guys get legitimate copies? They buy one?

Michael Forrest

Sep 12, 2014, 6:04:05 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
They download trials or grab a legit installer from studios. We once had a guy email us asking for the latest software, the idiot used the same handle that he had on CGPersia. On CGPersia, he was bragging that he had an in with the company and could get the latest version for cracking.

Igor Ridanovic

Sep 12, 2014, 6:59:15 PM9/12/14
to DS-List
Did DS ever get cracked?

Jef Huey

Sep 12, 2014, 7:06:47 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
If Avid Marketing had ever done their job, it might have ......
 ds-list+u...@googlegroups.com
 For more options, visit this group at

 ---
Groups "DS-List" group.
send an email to ds-list+u...@googlegroups.com.

 ---
Groups "DS-List" group.
send an email to ds-list+u...@googlegroups.com.

Legacy file uploads can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7UT9Nhp99kVZWMwZjdlYjgtYzMwYS00YjVhLTgwYWEtMGU2YTc2YzZmNWM4&hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DS-List" group.

Jef Huey

Bob Maple

Sep 12, 2014, 7:17:21 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
On 9/12/2014 4:59 PM, Igor Ridanovic wrote:

> Did DS ever get cracked?

Not in the sense you're asking :)

--

| Bob Maple
| Stick it to the NSA - Get my public key at http://burner.com/about/
|
| When love is gone, there's always justice. And when justice is gone,
| there's always force. And when force is gone, there's always Mom.
| Hi, Mom! -Laurie Anderson

Dermot Shane

Sep 12, 2014, 8:18:28 PM9/12/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Igor Ridanovic <ig...@kappastudios.com> wrote:
Did DS ever get cracked?

v4, when DS's lic was dongled, the same crack that unlocked Softimage3D dongle could be worked around a bit to get DS cracked

Only that version, and not for long as far as i am aware that was the only crack i saw running

Just about very Flame in Shanghai at time was cracked as it was easy to do, no cracked DS's tho

M-Edit

Sep 18, 2014, 3:03:47 PM9/18/14
to ds-...@googlegroups.com
Good luck to you and your new position, Jeff.

Just one thing about Avid getting nervous for their position in the "finishing market"?

I mean, isn't it really a "finished market" for them. :-)

Ehrm, I mean the video part, we all know that we are swarmed with Avid "audio web-inars".

//Mike-E

Jeff Krebs

Sep 19, 2014, 3:33:56 PM9/19/14
to ds-list
Thanks Mike,
The more I learn about the mature cloud infrastructure and dev going on at Forbidden, the more excited I get about re-defining and inventing the new storytelling tools that  are about to see deployed in the near future.  Hold on to your seats, this is going to be great.
Cheers
Jeff