[Poll] Java 7 and 8

Fangjin Yang

Mar 7, 2016, 7:23:16 PM3/7/16
to Druid User
If Druid required Java 8 to run, would that cause problems for anyone out there? Do you have a Java 8 runtime env? Are there any Java 7 dependencies with your Hadoop deployment?

宾莉金

Mar 7, 2016, 10:45:15 PM3/7/16
to Druid User
We have upgrade our druid to use Java8.

在 2016年3月8日星期二 UTC+8上午8:23:16,Fangjin Yang写道:

Shuai Chang

Mar 8, 2016, 2:58:27 AM3/8/16
to Druid User
We have running Druid in Java8 in semi Prod mode since the very beginning. Realtime node and tranquility + indexing service both works perfectly fine. Did not try batch ingestion with Hadoop, though

Will Lauer

Mar 8, 2016, 10:43:20 AM3/8/16
to druid...@googlegroups.com
We upgraded our druid clusters to use Java 8 a while ago when Java 7 stopped getting public updates.We had no problems with Java8, even when mixed with Hadoop still running on java7 for batch processing (core hadoop was java7, but our map-reduce jobs were triggered with java8).

Will

Will Lauer
Tech Yahoo, Software Dev Eng, Principal
P: 217.255.4262  M: 508.561.6427
1908 S First St. Champaign IL 61820

Mar 8, 2016, 12:09:53 PM3/8/16
to Druid User, wla...@yahoo-inc.com
Note this question is about making the generated jars java8 only.

The big risks that I'm aware of in such a case are linking with Spark/Scala and running java8 jars on a java7 hadoop cluster.

This means if you rely on scala being able to access druid classes (we do, through the spark indexer) then it *might* cause issues before scala2.12

It also means if you are running a hadoop cluster on java7 and CANNOT update it to java8, then the druid jars *might* not run on the v1.7.x jvm

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 7:43:20 AM UTC-8, Will Lauer wrote:
We upgraded our druid clusters to use Java 8 a while ago when Java 7 stopped getting public updates.We had no problems with Java8, even when mixed with Hadoop still running on java7 for batch processing (core hadoop was java7, but our map-reduce jobs were triggered with java8).

Will

Will Lauer
Tech Yahoo, Software Dev Eng, Principal
P: 217.255.4262  M: 508.561.6427
1908 S First St. Champaign IL 61820

If Druid required Java 8 to run, would that cause problems for anyone out there? Do you have a Java 8 runtime env? Are there any Java 7 dependencies with your Hadoop deployment?

TJ Giuli

Mar 9, 2016, 3:09:42 AM3/9/16
to Druid User
We use a CDH Hadoop cluster with Java 7.  We use HDFS as our deep storage and YARN for periodic batch reingestion jobs.  We haven't looked deeply into upgrading the cluster from Java 7 to 8, but according to the Cloudera documentation we can't do a rolling upgrade from 7 to 8 (?!?), so if upgrading Druid to Java 8 causes problems with batch reingestion, it would be a problem for us.
--T

Prashant Deva

Mar 10, 2016, 2:09:54 PM3/10/16
to Druid User
Java 8 all the way.
Java 7 is so 2012..

Gaurav Kumar

Mar 19, 2016, 7:57:16 AM3/19/16
to Druid User
Java 8

Noppanit Charassinvichai

Mar 19, 2016, 1:05:48 PM3/19/16
to Druid User
We have also been using Java 8.

charles.allen

Mar 25, 2016, 1:56:33 PM3/25/16
to Druid User
We use Spark for batch indexing via https://github.com/metamx/druid-spark-batch so we can't use java8 JARs until spark is on a java8 friendly scala version.

Xavier Léauté

Mar 25, 2016, 2:00:11 PM3/25/16
to druid...@googlegroups.com
We also heavily use Scala internally for other projects, and link those projects against some of Druid's internals, so we would require Druid jars to target 1.7 level byte-code until we migrate to Scala 2.12.

Taylor Jones

Apr 4, 2016, 3:20:43 PM4/4/16
to Druid User
We would fine to use Java 8.

Michael Spector

Apr 5, 2016, 1:29:23 AM4/5/16
to druid...@googlegroups.com
We also use Java 8 with no problems.

Sascha Coenen

Apr 16, 2016, 11:30:19 AM4/16/16
to Druid User
we run a Druid cluster that is compiled against and deployed on java8 and didn't experience any issues. We have no jdk7 dependencies and would be fine and even preferred if the upstream release was based on java8

John Wang

Apr 18, 2016, 3:15:25 PM4/18/16
to Druid User
+1 Java 8

Jakub Liska

Apr 21, 2016, 3:13:22 AM4/21/16
to Druid User
+1 Java 8

charles.allen

Apr 28, 2016, 7:54:46 PM4/28/16
to Druid User
Here's the status of scala 2.12:

Looks like it won't be in RC until July

charles.allen

Apr 28, 2016, 10:48:19 PM4/28/16
to Druid User
And here's the Spark 2.12 effort: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-14220

charles.allen

Jun 2, 2016, 10:35:20 AM6/2/16
to Druid User
I just realized that the whole project might not need to be java-7 to be spark/scala compatible. It might be that only an "api" needs to be java-7.

As such, it could be possible to compile druid-api as java-7, and have everything else be java-8.

Rasmus Schults

Jul 5, 2016, 6:48:44 AM7/5/16
to Druid User
Running Druid cluster with Java8 over 1 year atleast :)

李斯宁

Jul 19, 2016, 12:02:47 AM7/19/16
to Druid User
We are also running Java8 in hadoop and druid nodes.

在 2016年3月8日星期二 UTC+8上午8:23:16,Fangjin Yang写道:
If Druid required Java 8 to run, would that cause problems for anyone out there? Do you have a Java 8 runtime env? Are there any Java 7 dependencies with your Hadoop deployment?

RAHUL GOEL

Sep 7, 2016, 9:51:13 AM9/7/16
to Druid User
Hi Shuai,

I am also trying to configure the Realtime node and tranquility so that i can poll my realtime data.Could you please guide me how to proceed as i have already performed batch ingestion mode.

jay kim

Sep 11, 2016, 4:16:38 AM9/11/16
to Druid User
+1 Java 8

Maurizio Gallelli

Sep 13, 2016, 6:12:37 AM9/13/16
to Druid User
Hi Fangjin,
I've a production environment with Java 8 build 1.8.0_73-b02 and Druid 0.8.1 working since one year without any problem.

Thanks,
Maurizio

Federico Nieves

Nov 8, 2016, 4:30:34 PM11/8/16
to Druid User
We made a fresh installation of hadoop + druid in our environment so wouldn't be a problem at all.

Mark

Dec 11, 2016, 11:05:27 PM12/11/16
to Druid User
our hadoop cluster is using java 7, so, we hope druid still has support for java 7.

在 2016年3月8日星期二 UTC+8上午8:23:16,Fangjin Yang写道:
If Druid required Java 8 to run, would that cause problems for anyone out there? Do you have a Java 8 runtime env? Are there any Java 7 dependencies with your Hadoop deployment?

Dongkyu Hwangbo

Dec 13, 2016, 8:17:40 PM12/13/16
to Druid User
Druid cannot run druid-kafka-indexing extension with Java 7.
Well done in Java 8.

2016년 3월 8일 화요일 오전 9시 23분 16초 UTC+9, Fangjin Yang 님의 말:

pushkar priyadarshi

Dec 13, 2016, 8:55:10 PM12/13/16
to druid...@googlegroups.com
+1 Java8

Dongkyu Hwangbo

Dec 14, 2016, 12:31:17 AM12/14/16
to Druid User
Most of CDH env is running with Java 7. For compatibility with it, I think keeping Java 7 is better.

Gian Merlino

Dec 14, 2016, 11:05:02 AM12/14/16
to druid...@googlegroups.com
According to the release blog, CDH 5.3 added Java 8 support 2 years ago: http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2014/12/cloudera-enterprise-5-3-is-released/. Is the upgrade difficult? (I don't use CDH so I don't really know.)

We might be able to get the best of both worlds, although some testing is needed before claiming that for sure. I added a comment here: https://github.com/druid-io/druid/issues/3746#issuecomment-267073438

Gian

Dongkyu Hwangbo

Feb 6, 2017, 3:33:11 AM2/6/17
to Druid User
Recently, Cloudera manager and CDH 5.10 is released and default JDK version of theirs is Java 8.
I give +1 for Java 8.

Praveen

Feb 20, 2017, 1:33:01 AM2/20/17
to Druid User
+1 Java 8

Gian Merlino

Feb 23, 2017, 2:48:53 AM2/23/17
to druid...@googlegroups.com
Dear anyone following this thread,

Although not unanimous, the vast majority of response from the community and Druid committers was that it is time to drop support for Java 7. The next version of Druid (0.10.0) will require Java 8.

Gian

Anuj Singhania

May 17, 2017, 5:14:06 AM5/17/17
to Druid User
Hi,

I am also facing the same which many highlighted as Our Hadoop cluster is on java 7 and druid map reduce requires Java8.
Our job failed giving exception on major minor version 52.

Is there anyway We get this working ?

Gian Merlino

May 17, 2017, 1:45:01 PM5/17/17
to druid...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, you do need to install Java 8 on your Hadoop cluster in order to use Druid 0.10.0 or later. If you need some argument to convince your IT team, try pointing out that Java 7 has been EOL for over two years (https://java.com/en/download/faq/java_7.xml) and is no longer receiving any updates, including security updates.

Gian