Docker 1.5.0-rc1

Arnaud Porterie

Jan 22, 2015, 6:02:30 PM1/22/15
to docke...@googlegroups.com
The first Release Candidate for Docker 1.5 is available!

First of all, we’d like to give a big THANK YOU to people who contributed to this release: many of the changelog items come from non-maintainers, which is really awesome. Docker 1.5.0-rc1 in numbers:
  • 664 commits
  • 86 contributors
  • +8,350 -3,397 line changes
There are many major features in this release (see the changelog below): please test it extensively. The release date is planned for February 5th, along with Compose 1.1.0, Machine beta 0.1.0, and Swam beta 0.1.0.

IMPORTANT NOTE: one of the most significant features is the ability for Docker engine to communicate with the v2 version of the registry's HTTP API. Please be aware that the official hub infrastructure is not yet upgraded to this new version of the protocol, and won’t be until general availability of the release. Olivier (@dmp42) summarized what you should and shouldn’t expect in your tests in this regard: please give it a read https://gist.github.com/dmp42/4eb84f9fe19f7b8808c0.

Get the binaries:

Ubuntu/Debianhttps://test.docker.com/ubuntu or curl -sSL https://test.docker.com/ | sh

CHANGELOG

Builder

  + Dockerfile to use for a given `docker build` can be specified with the `-f` flag
  * Dockerfile and .dockerignore files can be themselves excluded as part of the .dockerignore file, thus preventing modifications to these files invalidating ADD or COPY instructions cache
  * ADD and COPY instructions accept relative paths
  * Dockerfile `FROM scratch` instruction is now interpreted as a no-base specifier
  * Improve performance when exposing a large number of ports

Hack

  + Allow client-side only integration tests for Windows
  * Include docker-py integration tests against Docker daemon as part of our test suites

Packaging

  + Support for the new version of the registry HTTP API
  * Speed up `docker push` for images with a majority of already existing layers
  - Fixed contacting a private registry through a proxy

Remote API

  + Containers can be renamed using the new `rename` endpoint and the associated `docker rename` command
  * Container `inspect` endpoint show the ID of `exec` commands running in this container
  * Container `inspect` endpoint show the number of times Docker auto-restarted the container
  * New types of event can be streamed by the `events` endpoint: ‘OOM’ (container died with out of memory), ‘exec_create’, and ‘exec_start'
  - Fixed returned string fields which hold numeric characters incorrectly omitting surrounding double quotes

Runtime

  + Docker daemon has full IPv6 support
  + The `docker run` command can take the `--pid=host` flag to use the host PID namespace, which makes it possible for example to debug host processes using containerized debugging tools
  + The `docker run` command can take the `--read-only` flag to make the container’s root filesystem mounted as readonly, which can be used in combination with volumes to force a container’s processes to only write to locations that will be persisted
  + Container total memory usage can be limited for `docker run` using the `--memory-swap` flag
  * Major stability improvements for devicemapper storage driver
  * Better integration with host system: containers will reflect changes to the host's `/etc/resolv.conf` file when restarted
  * Better integration with host system: per-container iptable rules are moved to the DOCKER chain
  - Fixed container exiting on out of memory to return an invalid exit code

Other

  * The HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY, and NO_PROXY environment variables are properly taken into account by the client when connecting to the Docker daemon

--
Arnaud Porterie

r ll

Jan 22, 2015, 7:01:00 PM1/22/15
to docke...@googlegroups.com, Arnaud Porterie

Could you make a tag there? I have updated from github but can't find which commit is tagged as 1.5 ?
then I downloaded this binary and figured out it's based on commit 7e803ba and can find it from github, but which branch does it belong to?

$ ~/bin/docker-1.5.0 -v
Docker version 1.5.0, build 7e803ba

$ ~/bin/docker-1.5.0 version
Client version: 1.5.0
Client API version: 1.17
Go version (client): go1.4.1
Git commit (client): 7e803ba
OS/Arch (client): linux/amd64

Thanks,

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 3:02:30 PM UTC-8, Arnaud Porterie wrote:
[...]

Linux 64bit binary: https://test.docker.com/builds/Linux/x86_64/docker-1.5.0
Darwin/OSX 64bit client binary: https://test.docker.com/builds/Darwin/x86_64/docker-1.5.0
Darwin/OSX 32bit client binary: https://test.docker.com/builds/Darwin/i386/docker-1.5.0
Linux 64bit tgz: https://test.docker.com/builds/Linux/x86_64/docker-1.5.0.tgz

Arnaud Porterie

Jan 22, 2015, 7:12:47 PM1/22/15
to docke...@googlegroups.com, arnaud....@docker.com
Tagging is not part of our usual release process, but I think it makes sense: I'll ask other maintainers to confirm everybody agrees on that and will do, thanks for your input.

Release branch is icecrime/bump_v1.5.0 (associated Docker PR: https://github.com/docker/docker/pull/10286).

arnaud.porterie

Jan 22, 2015, 7:14:53 PM1/22/15
to maint...@dockerproject.org, docke...@googlegroups.com
One correction of my previous post: schedule release date is February 3rd (not February 5th as initially stated).

Second thing, we have someone on docker-dev requesting that we tag RC releases: I think it makes sense, would anyone see a reason not to?

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 3:00:56 PM UTC-8, arnaud.porterie wrote:
[...]

James Mills

Jan 22, 2015, 7:20:18 PM1/22/15
to docker-dev

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM, arnaud.porterie <arnaud....@docker.com> wrote:
Second thing, we have someone on docker-dev requesting that we tag RC releases: I think it makes sense, would anyone see a reason not to?

As a package maintainer:

We've survived without tagging up until now.
Either way makes no difference IHMO.

cheers

Tianon Gravi

Jan 22, 2015, 9:16:16 PM1/22/15
to Arnaud Porterie, docker-dev, maint...@dockerproject.org
On 22 January 2015 at 16:00, Arnaud Porterie <arnaud....@docker.com> wrote:
> Get the binaries:
>
> Ubuntu/Debian: https://test.docker.com/ubuntu or curl -sSL
> https://test.docker.com/ | sh
> Linux 64bit binary: https://test.docker.com/builds/Linux/x86_64/docker-1.5.0
> Darwin/OSX 64bit client binary:
> https://test.docker.com/builds/Darwin/x86_64/docker-1.5.0
> Darwin/OSX 32bit client binary:
> https://test.docker.com/builds/Darwin/i386/docker-1.5.0
> Linux 64bit tgz:
> https://test.docker.com/builds/Linux/x86_64/docker-1.5.0.tgz

boot2docker 1.5.0-rc1 can be found at:
https://github.com/tianon/boot2docker/releases/tag/v1.5.0-rc1

or the direct ISO link:
https://github.com/tianon/boot2docker/releases/download/v1.5.0-rc1/boot2docker.iso

♥,
- Tianon
4096R / B42F 6819 007F 00F8 8E36 4FD4 036A 9C25 BF35 7DD4

crquan

Jan 22, 2015, 10:15:34 PM1/22/15
to James Mills, docker-dev, arnaud....@docker.com
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:19 PM, James Mills
<prol...@shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM, arnaud.porterie <arnaud....@docker.com> wrote:
>>
>> Second thing, we have someone on docker-dev requesting that we tag RC
>> releases: I think it makes sense, would anyone see a reason not to?
>

> As a package maintainer:
>
> We've survived without tagging up until now.
> Either way makes no difference IHMO.

You will still survive if you can make a tag there!

that may be your 10 seconds to create the tag and push the tag, but it
makes followers' life easier: makes your alpha test users' life easier

In a traditional git follower's workflow, by git clone & git pull
everyday, I still didn't figure out how to get code of this -rc1

Day 0: git clone https://github.com/docker/docker.git

Day N: git pull (or git fetch -v origin)

$ git fetch -v origin
POST git-upload-pack (949 bytes)
remote: Counting objects: 28, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (28/28), done.
From https://github.com/docker/docker
= [up to date] doc0.8.1 -> origin/doc0.8.1
= [up to date] docs -> origin/docs
= [up to date] docs-1.0 -> origin/docs-1.0
= [up to date] docs-1.1 -> origin/docs-1.1
= [up to date] docs-1.3.3 -> origin/docs-1.3.3
fa79e18..992beb2 master -> origin/master
= [up to date] name_label -> origin/name_label
= [up to date] p2p_transfer -> origin/p2p_transfer
= [up to date] release -> origin/release
= [up to date] release-1.3 -> origin/release-1.3

$ git describe
v1.4.1-668-gfa79e18

$ git describe 7e803ba
fatal: Not a valid object name 7e803ba

Ian Babrou

Jan 23, 2015, 2:11:24 AM1/23/15
to docke...@googlegroups.com
>   * Speed up `docker push` for images with a majority of already existing layers

This is really questionable, it became slower (1.2s -> 42s) for us if nothing has changed in the past day: https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/10269

Olivier Gambier

Jan 23, 2015, 1:04:41 PM1/23/15
to docke...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for reporting this Ian.
Tarsum computation indeed has a cost, and we certainly need to work on caching them instead of computing them every time.

On the other hand, it's important to get accurate numbers for a fair comparison.

Let's continue the discussion on the issue.

Best regards,

- Olivier

Arnaud Porterie

Jan 23, 2015, 6:22:53 PM1/23/15