Django 1.10.3 with Oracle database and --keepdb

Carsten Fuchs

Nov 4, 2016, 12:12:09 PM11/4/16
to Django users
Dear Django fellows,

using Django 1.10.3 with Oracle database, is running

./manage.py test --keepdb

supposed to work without having an explicit test password set?

DATABASES = {
'default': {
'ENGINE': 'django.db.backends.oracle',
# ...
'TEST': {
# --keepdb no longer works for me without this:
'PASSWORD': 'password',
}
}
}

In other words, without setting an explicit (non-random) password, database
errors are expected when starting the tests with --keepdb ?

Best regards,
Carsten

Simon Charette

Nov 5, 2016, 3:46:08 AM11/5/16
to Django users
Hi Carsten,

> In other words, without setting an explicit (non-random) password, database
> errors are expected when starting the tests with --keepdb ?

You are right. I just created a ticket[0] about preventing usage of `--keepdb`
without defining a `TEST.PASSWORD` setting.

Simon

[0] https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/27435#ticket

Mariusz Felisiak

Nov 5, 2016, 9:02:50 AM11/5/16
to Django users
W dniu piątek, 4 listopada 2016 17:12:09 UTC+1 użytkownik Carsten Fuchs napisał:
supposed to work without having an explicit test password set?

Yes. Please, make sure that your main oracle user has ALTER USER permission.

Carsten Fuchs

Nov 5, 2016, 9:03:43 AM11/5/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Am 05.11.2016 um 08:46 schrieb Simon Charette:
> [0] https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/27435#ticket

Thank you!

Best regards,
Carsten

Carsten Fuchs

Nov 5, 2016, 10:55:42 AM11/5/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mariusz,

Am 2016-11-05 um 13:11 schrieb Mariusz Felisiak:
> Yes. Please, make sure that your main oracle user has *ALTER USER*
> permission.

It is well possible that that is the culprit. I've set my database
user's privileges as described at
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/ref/databases/#oracle-notes, so
it's likely to miss `ALTER USER`.

I'll check (it may take until Monday or Tuesday though) and post an
update here.

Best regards,
Carsten

Carsten Fuchs

Nov 7, 2016, 8:38:46 AM11/7/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
Am 05.11.2016 um 15:55 schrieb Carsten Fuchs:
> Am 2016-11-05 um 13:11 schrieb Mariusz Felisiak:
>> Yes. Please, make sure that your main oracle user has *ALTER USER*
>> permission.
>
> I'll check (it may take until Monday or Tuesday though) and post an update here.

Indeed, after having added the ALTER USER permission everything works properly.

Many thanks to everyone!

Best regards,
Carsten

PS: It would be helpful if ALTER USER was added to the list of required
permissions at https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/ref/databases/#oracle-notes

--
Carsten Fuchs Software
Industriegebiet 3, c/o Rofu