inspectdb and postgresql schemas support - ticket #22673

Fabio Caritas Barrionuevo da Luz

May 21, 2014, 3:33:11 PM5/21/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Django not provides way to use inspectdb in a postgresql schema with name different of "public"

If you think this is an important feature and should be included in django, Please send your considerations and use cases to the topic:

If you do not know the concept of postgresql schema, please read:

This is an especially useful feature if you have to deal with the legacy database and perhaps also for multiple-tenant

This is a feature requested for 8 years[1][2].

I think now is a good time to include it (into Django 1.8) due to the new migration system (by Andrew Godwin [3]) and improved support for postgresql (by Marc Tamlyn[4])

I think this is also valid for Oracle and MSSQL

I opened the new ticket to handle this specific feature:

Excuse me for english, I'm still learning.

--
Fábio C. Barrionuevo da Luz
Acadêmico de Sistemas de Informação na Faculdade Católica do Tocantins - FACTO

Russell Keith-Magee

May 21, 2014, 8:02:06 PM5/21/14
to Django Users
On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 3:33 AM, Fabio Caritas Barrionuevo da Luz <bna...@gmail.com> wrote:
Django not provides way to use inspectdb in a postgresql schema with name different of "public"

If you think this is an important feature and should be included in django, Please send your considerations and use cases to the topic:

If you do not know the concept of postgresql schema, please read:

This is an especially useful feature if you have to deal with the legacy database and perhaps also for multiple-tenant

This is a feature requested for 8 years[1][2].

To provide some perspective here -- there's no shortage of people who have expressed an interest in this idea. What we're missing is someone to write the code. #6148 was on the 'intended feature list' for several releases (back when we had an intended feature list as part of our release process), but the patch never got to a point of maturity that would allow it to be merged into master.

So - yes, this is a worthy feature. If a working, tested, documented patch were available, it would probably find its way into trunk reasonably quickly. What we don't have is that patch. We need someone from the community to contribute such a patch.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)