GeoDjango has few problems on Django 1.11-dev version

Satish

Sep 13, 2016, 9:23:38 AM9/13/16
to Django users
Hi,

Am a starting a new Django project, I chose 1.11-dev version considering the fact it is gonna be LTS release & major feature depreciation's are proposed from prev LTS release. I need to implement Reverse Geo location from latlng's as a feature in the project.

I've attached the screenshot of the error when i tried  migrating the  project after adding postgis support on server. Even on clean & new django project, the command "python manage.py makemigrations" results the same error.

Is Django 1.11 not  ready yet for postgis backend  or am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance!
Error_GIS_Django1.11.png

Tim Graham

Sep 13, 2016, 10:00:21 AM9/13/16
to Django users
I'm not aware of any bugs or regressions. Could you provide a sample project that we can use to reproduce that issue? Does you have the same issue with older versions of Django?

Satish

Sep 13, 2016, 11:00:15 AM9/13/16
to Django users
Hi Tim,

I have attached a new django project which gave me the error. or you can try below steps to reproduce the error:

  1. Create a python3 virtualenv and activate it
  2. pip install git+https://github.com/django/django.git
  3. pip install psycopg2
  4. django-admin startproject projectname
  5. Change the db backend to postgis in settings file
  6. python manage.py makemigrations
After this step, we have this error.
geo11.zip

Tim Graham

Sep 13, 2016, 11:23:31 AM9/13/16
to Django users
Thanks, I accepted the ticket you created. Next time, please don't reach out for help in multiple channels since it increases the chance that multiple people will duplicate effort investigating the issue.

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/27217

Satish

Sep 13, 2016, 11:29:24 AM9/13/16
to Django users
Thanks Tim!
Will note your suggestion for future posts.