Update Services for Django

Tom

Sep 26, 2012, 11:14:46 AM9/26/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Wordpress has something called Update Services, a feature that pings certain web services when content is created or updated.

Does Django happen to have anything similar? What I'm trying to achieve is a way to tell a remote server that a piece of content has either been created, updated, or deleted.

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions,

Tom

Ilian Iliev

Sep 26, 2012, 11:49:04 AM9/26/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

in the case of wordpress this is just an XML-RCP call it is used for pingbacks/tracebacks.
There is similar implementation in zinnia if I remember correctly. Otherwise you can just create
a method that will get/post to specific URL to notify it about the changed content.

Greetings,
Ilian Iliev

--
eng. Ilian Iliev
Web Software Developer

Mobile: +359 88 66 08 400
Website: http://ilian.i-n-i.org
Skype: eng.ilian_iliev

Tom Clark

Sep 26, 2012, 12:31:19 PM9/26/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ilian,

I couldn't find any reference to pingbacks/trackbacks for Django, could you point me in the right direction? :)

Many thanks!

Ilian Iliev

Sep 26, 2012, 3:33:21 PM9/26/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

I believe here you can find how the pingback is implemented in zinnia but as you will see
the example is not that simple. Consider if you need so complex one or just a get/post to
specific URL will be enough.

Greetings,
Ilian Iliev

--
eng. Ilian Iliev
Web Software Developer

Mobile: +359 88 66 08 400
Website: http://ilian.i-n-i.org
Skype: eng.ilian_iliev

Germán

Sep 26, 2012, 6:09:54 PM9/26/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
You could create some methods that ping an specific URL. Then you could subscribe/connect to the specific signals associated to what you want to report.