lost admin on upgrade to django 1.3

zignorp

Jul 29, 2011, 8:10:02 PM7/29/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I just upgraded to 1.3 and thought all was well until I tried to access LOCALHOST/admin/
Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this exception

Exception Type: TemplateDoesNotExist Exception Value:
admin/login.html
?
Was working fine in the older version.

Shawn Milochik

Jul 29, 2011, 9:52:15 PM7/29/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Could it have something to do with staticfiles?

Have you started using any new middleware or contrib apps?

zignorp

Jul 30, 2011, 12:48:27 AM7/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
No, I haven't.
I think it has to do with the way the admin templates are loaded.

I do notice that in my  django 1.1 install there is an existing templates directory in site-packages/django/contrib/admin
but in my 1.3 install there is no templates directory. So I think that's the problem, I'm trying to wrap my head around how to refer to the admin templates, like where the heck are they in this version? Have they gone missing in the install (mac 10.6.8)? Or are they someplace totally different?
Does that make sense?
Thanks,
Wendy

Shawn Milochik

Jul 30, 2011, 1:00:01 AM7/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Django 1.3, and the templates exist in site-packages.

Within my virtualenv:

lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/templates/admin/login.html

How did you install/upgrade 1.3? Are you using virtualenv? Do you have
multiple versions of Python on your system?

Try just creating a fresh virtualenv using the --no-site-packages option
and pip install Django and see if your project will work that way.

zignorp

Jul 30, 2011, 1:15:12 AM7/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Actually I'm not using virtualenv, I just installed the new version on my mac

tar xzvf Django-1.3.tar.gz
cd Django-1.3
sudo python setup.py install

 and it overwrote the older version in python/2.6/site-packages/django
(I have 1.1 running on my notebook, that's how I checked where the damn admin templates directory was)
I'm just going to quit my project and reinstall and see what happens. Maybe I'll install python 2.7 but it's late...
Thanks for the confirmation that I should indeed have that directory.
Wendy

Wendy Bardsley

Jul 30, 2011, 2:22:30 AM7/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
OK, reinstalling this way on mac:
http://breakthesystem.org/2009/django-on-snow-leopard/
(using 1.3 instead of 1.1)

worked, so my templates are back and everything works as expected...
Thanks,

Thomas Orozco

Jul 30, 2011, 12:48:51 AM7/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

Django 1.3 shipped with staticfiles for static documents, maybe you could look that way.

zignorp

Jul 30, 2011, 7:36:46 PM7/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all, the last install worked fine last night, fixed deprecations and once I relocate tinymce I'll be good to go,