Django Development environment

Stephen Jackson

Aug 22, 2011, 6:07:24 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

Shawn Milochik

Aug 22, 2011, 6:13:06 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 08/22/2011 06:07 PM, Stephen Jackson wrote:
> I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django
> developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

Ubuntu, virtualenv, Komodo Edit, vim, git

Must-haves:
Development:
South, pyflakes, selenium
Deployment:
supervisord, gunicorn

Matt Mansour

Aug 22, 2011, 6:14:28 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Howdy -
Welcome. So far I like the following:

Editors: PyCharm and VIM
OS (Dev) OS X
Tools: Django Debug ToolBar, South
DB: Postgres

I am looking forward to hearing what others are using as well.

Matt

ozgur yilmaz

Aug 22, 2011, 6:19:52 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Windows XP and windows 7. Notepad++. Mysql. South.

2011/8/23 Shawn Milochik <sh...@milochik.com>:

> --
> "Django users" group.

dm03514

Aug 22, 2011, 6:26:41 PM8/22/11
to Django users
Ubuntu, VIM, mercurial, DebugToolbar(sometimes)
Sqlite3 for many projects.

On Aug 22, 6:07 pm, Stephen Jackson <jackson.stephe...@gmail.com>

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]

Aug 22, 2011, 7:46:10 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
uWSGI (this is an absolute MUST)
supervisord
nginx
ddt (django debug toolbar)
Debian lenny or squeeze under lxc/cgroups.
winscp (for on-the-fly continuous directory sync from windows)
virtualbox

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Stephen Jackson <jackson....@gmail.com> wrote:
I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

Landy Chapman

Aug 22, 2011, 8:47:52 PM8/22/11
to Django users
-debian (squeeze) with a few KDE "testing" packages
-jEdit with plugins: "Buffer List", "Editor Scheme", "Text
Autocomplete"
-Eterm, nano,git, qgit
-postgresql, sqlite, nginx, apache2

I'd love to hear from people using Windows XP/VISTA/7, and Mac OS X

Greg Maruszeczka

Aug 22, 2011, 9:15:45 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

fedora, eclipse (pydev), mercurial, virtualenv, postgres, apache (wsgi)

Stephen Jackson

Aug 22, 2011, 10:26:04 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
I'll reply to my own question. I started working with django about 4 months ago. I have three projects that I'm working on using django.

Editor
I've tried Aptana.
I've tried Wing IDE and I am currently testing Pycharm.
Ubuntu
South
MySql

Jani Tiainen

Aug 22, 2011, 11:06:50 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ubuntu or windows, eclipse with pydev, apache, nginx, virtualenv and Oracle.

Stephen Jackson <jackson....@gmail.com> kirjoitti 23.8.2011 kello 1.07:

I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

Mario Gudelj

Aug 22, 2011, 11:50:06 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Mac, sqlite, Eclipse with Pydev or AquaMacs, apache

Raul Alejandro Ascencio Trejo

Aug 22, 2011, 11:55:40 PM8/22/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Emacs (https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Emacs), Postgre... :|

2011/8/22 Mario Gudelj <mario....@gmail.com>

--
r-ascencio

Andre Terra

Aug 23, 2011, 8:34:21 AM8/23/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Aptana (aka Eclipse/Pydev) for no reason other than hyperlinks in the code

Vim/Notepad++ on occasion
virtualenv, git, pip, ack (grep on steroids)
nginx (proudly compiled from source with custom modules!)

ubuntu 10.04 (will only upgrade to LTS releases) or windows xp. All of
these tools are multiplatform! In addition I'd have to recommend
virtualenv wrapper for those of you running linux

In django:
django-cache-utils
django-form-utils
celery
redis
django-debug-toolbar
django-filter by Alex Gaynor (a must have)

Cheers,
AT

> r-ascencio <http://www.r-ascencio.blogspot.com>

> --

Sent from my mobile device

Yaşar Arabacı

Aug 23, 2011, 8:47:12 AM8/23/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Development setup (when on my own comp.):
arch linux, vim or leafpad, sqlite, django development server

Development setup (when on my brothers comp):
cygwin, notepad++, sqlite, django development server (both inside and outside of cygwin to make sure everything is same.)

Deployment:
ubuntu (cloud), nginx with uwsgi, supervisord, postgresql, south

MUST HAVES (on all platforms): git!

Thorsten Sanders

Aug 23, 2011, 9:09:52 AM8/23/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
IDE:
PyCharm (its for python with django support,not free but love it and not to expensive)

Database:
mysql/postgresql

Standard apps:
south (really a must have to apply database changes easy)
debug_toolbar

Pavlo Kapyshin

Aug 23, 2011, 9:15:03 AM8/23/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Xmonad, emacs, vim, git, darcs, nginx, supervisord, misultin, mochiweb, haskell, bash, zsh, httperf, rabbitmq, zeromq. Things I use for Django-specific development: ipdb, rdb, ipython, private forks of third-party Django apps, virtualenv and pip.

I don’t use automatic database migration tools, on-the-fly syntax checkers, debug toolbars, IDEs, MySQL, Mnesia, Apache and GPL License.

---
++[>++[>++[>++[>++<-]<-]<-]<-]>>>><+++++++
++++++++++++++++[>++<-]>+.<+++++++[>+++++<
-]>.<+++[>---<-]>.<+[>-<-]>-.<+[>+<-]>+.<+
+[>++<-]>+.<+++[>----<-]>-.<+++++[>++<-]>+
.<+++++++++++++++++++[>----<-]>.<+++++++[>
+++++<-]>.<+++++++++++[>++++<-]>.<+++++[>-
-<-]>-.<++[>++<-]>+.<++[>++<-]>+.<+++[>--<
-]>-.

Mike Seidle

Aug 23, 2011, 1:55:33 PM8/23/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, August 22, 2011 06:07:24 PM Stephen Jackson wrote:
> I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django
> developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

Dev: Kubuntu (Natty), Emacs (sometimes Aptana), git, Cherokee (web server),
MySQL

Production: Debian Lenny, Cherokee or Apache, MySQL

Couldn't survive without South :)

--
Mike Seidle

Matt Schinckel

Aug 23, 2011, 8:27:29 PM8/23/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
OS:
- Mac OS X (Lion / Snow Leopard, depending on machine).
Editor:
- Formerly TextMate, now BBEdit
Database:
- Postgres installed locally
General (python/os) tools:
- virtualenv, pip, fabric, mercurial, git (for -e installation of dev versions on github)
Server tools:
- memcached, Werkzeug
Django apps that are almost always installed:
- south, compressor, django-test-utils, sentry, django-model-utils, johnny-cache, django-devserver, django-test-extensions

Praveen Krishna R

Aug 24, 2011, 2:26:18 AM8/24/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Windows
Notepad++, django development server, sqlite3, south

On Ubuntu
Vim, MySQL, south, virtualenv

--
Thanks and Regards,
Praveen Krishna R

cihan okyay

Aug 24, 2011, 2:17:36 PM8/24/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

2011/8/23 Stephen Jackson <jackson....@gmail.com>

I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

OS: Mac OSX

Development: TextMate, VIM, virtualenv, pip, south

Deployment: Ubuntu, apache, nginx, fabric, postgresql, uwsgi

Third-party django applications: django-nose, sentry, django-extensions

version control: GIT

--
Cihan Okyay

chandrakant kumar

Aug 25, 2011, 12:56:06 AM8/25/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 8/24/11, cihan okyay <okyay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/8/23 Stephen Jackson <jackson....@gmail.com>
>
>> I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django
>> developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

Slackware, Emacs, MySQL, south, Firebug

--

Chandrakant Kumar
irc - k03chandra @ #freenode

Marcos Moyano

Aug 25, 2011, 7:48:11 AM8/25/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Dev.
Arch Linux, python2.7, django-1.3, virtualenv, postgresql (if possible), south, django-extensions, Emacs
Dep.
Ubuntu Server, fabric, Nginx, supervisord, uwsgi

Rgds,
Marcos

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Stephen Jackson <jackson....@gmail.com> wrote:
I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think “I know, I'll use regular expressions.” Now they have two problems.

Jamie Zawinski, in comp.emacs.xemacs

Thomas Guettler

Aug 25, 2011, 10:30:23 AM8/25/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Am 23.08.2011 00:07, schrieb Stephen Jackson:
> I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django
> developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

OS: SuSE or Ubuntu Linux
Editor: emacs
Shell: bash
DB: PostgreSQL
APPs: south, reversion
Django Version: http://code.djangoproject.com/svn/django/branches/releases/1.3.X
Source: svn
Stages: DEV, QUAL, PROD synced with unison.
Webserver: Apache, mod_wsgi
Nightly unittests.

Thomas

--
Thomas Guettler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/

Dan Gentry

Aug 25, 2011, 2:42:57 PM8/25/11
to Django users
Ubuntu, Eclipse with PyDev, virtualenv, pip, django debug toolbar,
Chrome, and lots of hot chocolate :)

On Aug 22, 6:07 pm, Stephen Jackson <jackson.stephe...@gmail.com>

Steven Elliott Jr

Aug 25, 2011, 2:38:48 PM8/25/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

> Am 23.08.2011 00:07, schrieb Stephen Jackson:
>> I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django
>> developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

Mac OS X Lion
PyCharm and TextMate with Python competion and Django bundles
Mysql & MongoDB
South
Pygments
Also using Sphinx for help docs.

Simon Connah

Aug 26, 2011, 10:07:27 AM8/26/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Mac OS X (soon to switch to Arch Linux).
Vim and numerous plugins.
SQLite for local database testing during development
Virtualenv
Mercurial or Git (depends on whether the project is open source or not)
Navicat
South
Selenium
Firebug

kenneth gonsalves

Aug 26, 2011, 10:11:58 PM8/26/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 15:07 +0100, Simon Connah wrote:
> Mercurial or Git (depends on whether the project is open source or
> not)

Could you elaborate please.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves

Marc Aymerich

Aug 27, 2011, 9:17:38 AM8/27/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Stephen Jackson
<jackson....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django
> developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

Ubuntu + chroot with debian squeeze installed via debootstrap
gedit
svn
ddt

--
Marc

Dan He

Aug 27, 2011, 1:48:47 AM8/27/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Mine is:
WinXP
Eclipse+PyDev
MySQL
Selenium
Firebug
chrome+firefox

Dan  :)

Steven Elliott Jr

Aug 26, 2011, 11:44:12 PM8/26/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 15:07 +0100, Simon Connah wrote:
>> Mercurial or Git (depends on whether the project is open source or not)

Kenneth,

I think he means whether or not the repository will be public or private. Github (git) does not offer private repos unless you pay whereas bitbucket (mercurial) gives you 5 private ones for free as well as the option for creating public ones. I personally am a big BitBucket fan as I find it much much easier to manage and also a bit faster.

Best,
Steve

Simon Connah

Aug 27, 2011, 11:17:53 AM8/27/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

Correct. Although Bitbucket offers unlimited private repos. It just limits you to 5 users on the free account.

Steven Elliott Jr

Aug 27, 2011, 2:33:40 PM8/27/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

> Correct. Although Bitbucket offers unlimited private repos. It just limits you to 5 users...

Right, sorry that's what I was going for but I brain spasm'd on the iPhone. Bitbucket has gotten a lot better since Atlassian took it over.

Sam Walters

Aug 27, 2011, 11:41:03 PM8/27/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ok lets see. At the moment:

Editor:
vim + http://code.google.com/p/trespams-vim/
sometimes gedit or kate

Editor console *this has been really useful:
yakuake

Debug client-side:
firebug, yslow, a windows computer with ie7

Version system:
git

OS:
develop on apto-sid (debian unstable), deploy on debian or some sort
of redhat style os.

DB (depends on project):
mysql, postgres+spatial, sql-lite

Webserver:
apache 1.3, apache 2.2, nginx

Method of deployment:
Fcgi or wsgi

VIrtualisation:
vserver guests

Its not perfect but iv'e got used it.
Also lots of different extras i put into projects like south or
reverse-select, jinja but that depends on the project.

Interestingly on the three GUI systems i use kde, xfce and gnome as
most of my stuff is done in yakuake.

cheers
sam_w

Simon Connah

Aug 28, 2011, 5:31:44 AM8/28/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

On 28 Aug 2011, at 04:41, Sam Walters wrote:

> Debug client-side:
> firebug, yslow, a windows computer with ie7

Rather than using a separate computer with IE 7 I tend to just spin up an Amazon EC2 instance running Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 for a couple of hours. It makes everything so much easier when it comes to testing.

kenneth gonsalves

Aug 28, 2011, 7:50:44 PM8/28/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

me too - my one experience with github has not been good.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves

Seth

Aug 29, 2011, 1:07:14 AM8/29/11
to Django users
On Aug 22, 3:07 pm, Stephen Jackson <jackson.stephe...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I am new to the world of Django. I would like to hear from other django
> developers describe their dev environment (tools, os, editors, etc.).

OS: Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
Editor: TextMate with ProjectPlus plugin, Eclipse+PyDev for debugging
ONLY (and rarely). All of the cross platform editors Eclipse/PyCharm/
NetBeans/Wing/Komodo/Eric4/SPE are too buggy and/or mac-unfriendly to
be useful day-to-day ... I really wish TextMate had better completion
like PyDev, and debugging :(
DB: sqlite, PostgreSQL (if I need GIS support), mysql (if I don't need
GIS support)
Source control: mercurial, using hooks for production deployment on
push
Apps: South (must have), rpc4django (must have), profiler middleware
(http://djangosnippets.org/snippets/1579/), djcelery + celery +
rabbitmq.
Other Tools: memcached (must have), logging module, closure compiler,
WebKit's WebInspector, virtualenv, Pixelmator, Photoshop, Sphinx (for
docs)
Deployment: turnkeylinux django image (Ubuntu 10 + apache2.2 +
mod_wsgi), Windows 7 + apache2.2 + mod_wsgi
Hosting: webfaction

I've been doing 100% django development for about two years now, and
am much relieved be free of C# and Java in my daily workflow.

- S -

Sam Walters

Aug 29, 2011, 1:19:55 AM8/29/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ok :)
Thankyou.

Yes ill try something like that when i have the time later this year!

Bastian Ballmann

Aug 30, 2011, 8:09:06 AM8/30/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Arch Linux, GNU/Emacs with emacs-for-python extension, pylint,
virtualenv, fabric, pudb, winpdb and firebug, postgresql,
django-extensions, git

--
Bastian Ballmann / Web Developer
Notch Interactive GmbH / Badenerstrasse 571 / 8048 Z�rich

Jani Tiainen

Aug 31, 2011, 4:16:18 AM8/31/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

Or you can always download "Internet Explorer Application Compatibility
VPC Image" [1] images from Microsoft directly.

(there are IE6 - IE9 images available) for testing websites. Very useful
with VirtualBox.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11575

--

Jani Tiainen

graeme

Aug 31, 2011, 6:46:34 AM8/31/11
to Django users
I thought it took a bit of work to get those VPC images to work with
VirtualBox. The last time I looked they were tied to Virtual PC
(virtual) hardware, and had activation issues with VirtualBox. Has
that changed?

> --
>
> Jani Tiainen

graeme

Aug 31, 2011, 7:11:09 AM8/31/11
to Django users
I am only supposed to be developing part time (mostly my own sites,
occasionally a client), so my choices may not suit everyone
(compromises with other needs, and have to be easy to learn).

Linux Mint Debian Edition
zsh (better history search reduces typing of various manage.py
commands etc.)
Komodo Edit with NST (New Source Tree)
South
debug_toolbar (very useful, especially for spotting mistakes)

On Aug 23, 3:07 am, Stephen Jackson <jackson.stephe...@gmail.com>

Jani Tiainen

Aug 31, 2011, 8:48:44 AM8/31/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

VirtualBox 4.1 in Ubuntu

Just downloaded image parts, extracted multipart rar package. Then comes
the tricky part:

When creating new VM you trick is to attach VHD image as an IDE drive,
not SATA (Defautl creation attaches image as SATA). And of course you
don't try to activate it but that's enough for testing.

--

Jani Tiainen

Vikas Ruhil

Feb 4, 2012, 9:48:31 AM2/4/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
If you used Pydev and Textmate , eclipse for Django ! so now You forget them
My environment is  Ubuntu+vim+Virutalenv+firefox(with vim) +Firebug.
I bully on vim , also proof that is better then the Textmate and Pydev  that is here http://learnhackstuff.blogspot.in/2012/02/vim-as-universal-idepart-1.html

--

Jani Tiainen

Regards
Vikash Ruhil

CLIFFORD ILKAY

Feb 4, 2012, 6:45:59 PM2/4/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 02/04/2012 09:48 AM, Vikas Ruhil wrote:
> If you used Pydev and Textmate , eclipse for Django ! so now You forget
> them
[snip]

I used to have a strong bias against PyDev because it was based on
Eclipse, something which I used to view as another bloated piece of Java
software. I read a blog post about Mylyn and watched a screencast by the
creator of Mylyn, Mik Kersten here:
<http://tasktop.com/videos/mylyn/webcast-mylyn-3.0.html>, I was
compelled to give Mylyn a chance. Using the Eclipse/PyDev/Mylyn
combination has made a believer out of me. I have my IDE integrated with
Trac, which we use for ticketing, and I can preserve and restore the
context on a given ticket. On small and simple projects, none of this
matters very much. On more complex projects, particularly if there are
multiple collaborators on the project, it makes a difference. I like
being able to restore my working context on issues I've been working on
in a matter of seconds. It's even better if I can restore the working
context of what my colleagues have been working on. There is much more
to it than what I've described. If there was another tool that could do
what I can with this combination, I'd certainly consider it but I
haven't seen one, yet. Note: I like and use vim, too. It's just not even
close to what I would call an "IDE".
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay