Status of this project

Martin

Dec 5, 2011, 4:39:55 AM12/5/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

recently there have been loads of pull request piling up in the repository and Tribaal seems to be too busy to keep up with everything in his new job / new country (which is totally understandable!).

Although I am a maintainer of django-shop and do actively develop two shops, I am having the feeling that others have much more complex use cases for the software than I do, thus I am constantly confronted with fancy feature requests on IRC / this mailing list / in pull requests.

I am quite good when it comes to codereviews and checking code for sanity but some of the issues the shop faces recently need to be thought through thoroughly, hopefully by more than just one person.

Since Tribaal left Divio, I wonder if Divio still has any stakes in this project? Is there someone at Divio replacing Tribaal for the django-shop project? Does Divio even use this software and is Divio interested in the success of this project?

I think we have a small community here and it would be a shame if the shop cannot be developed further fast enough due to time constraints of Tribaal and myself.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Tribaal

Dec 5, 2011, 8:14:18 AM12/5/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Yeah theses days are a bit tense for me - I did switch countries and
jobs as you mentioned, and my internet connectivity is spotty at best
(I rely on 3g for the time being). I did miss the hackaton because of
that :(

I want to clarify that I remain committed to this project however, and
I will work through the pile of pull requests as fast as I can. I'm
not sure about Divio's commitment, but I'll ask them directly.

As for the constraints, well... that's what they are unfortunately, so
we'll try to expand the team if needed :)

Now, I'll get some time to do some stuff this afternoon/evening, so
hopefully I can pull a few things into the barn.

Best regards,

- Chris/Tribaal

Rui_Silva

Dec 19, 2011, 5:11:36 PM12/19/11
to django-shop
What is exactly the status?

I have just joined this group. I am interested in contributing to the
project, however at a first glance everything seems blury. There is no
project plan? No project page?

There should be created some kind of tickets (google code?), with
missing features, so we could grab, write the code, the tests and than
do the pull requests...

Tribaal

Dec 19, 2011, 5:20:29 PM12/19/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome to open tickets on github, and you're very welcome to
fork the project and send pull requests there too
(https://github.com/divio/django-shop). I am also on IRC very often,
feel free to pop on our channel and ask us questions directly if you
feel the need (we hang out on #django-shop on freenode).

I have been pretty busy with my "real" life these past months (I moved
to another country, got married, and changed jobs...), but this
project is still being worked on and deployed to live websites.

As for the roadmap, it is largely defined by what people expect to see
in an online shopping framework. What would you like to see in there?

- Chris

Rui_Silva

Dec 19, 2011, 5:45:20 PM12/19/11
to django-shop
Hi Chris,

On 19 Dez, 22:20, Tribaal <trib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're welcome to open tickets on github, and you're very welcome to
> fork the project and send pull requests there too
> (https://github.com/divio/django-shop). I am also on IRC very often,
> feel free to pop on our channel and ask us questions directly if you
> feel the need (we hang out on #django-shop on freenode).

Usually I don't hang out on IRC. Now I am following this group.
I usually don't use GitHub, therefor I didn't know it was possible to
manage tickets there.

> I have been pretty busy with my "real" life these past months (I moved
> to another country, got married, and changed jobs...), but this
> project is still being worked on and deployed to live websites.

Hope you the best on the marriage, and the new country/job :)

> As for the roadmap, it is largely defined by what people expect to see
> in an online shopping framework. What would you like to see in there?

That seems the recipe for Chaos... Wouldn't it be better think about a
concrete roadmap? I'm affraid that without a propper roadmap, this
project wouldn't go far.

I have installed Satchmo once, I found it performed pretty bad, and
had some poor design decicions. Found out about this project just the
other day, and since it is in the initial phase, I got really
interested in contributing. I used django-cms on a couple o ocasions
and I really liked it. Since django-shop is from the same company/
group... There must some great developers working on that django-shop
project:)

Tribaal

Dec 19, 2011, 6:01:33 PM12/19/11
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Well, the whole project was designed around being extensible via
overriding/pugins. So basically, while some features might lack, the
core idea of the project is to let people extend it easily, so that
missing features can be implemented by whoever needs it first, then
reused.

You can check out some of theses projects on django-shop.org/ecosystem

I would note that the satchmo core developer himself said something
along the lines of "if I had to start it all over again, I would make
it much more modular". We are trying to do just that.

So many features can/should be implemented in plugins. In that regard,
the only thing this core project really is about is exposing a
consistent interface and basic "shopping cart" functionality to
plugins, and as such, the road map is rather... unexciting. I'm sure
people writing plugins can find plenty of features / bugs regarding
the core framework, but that comes, as I said, by sending feature
requests our way for the core framework.

One thing that would probably benefit a large number of people, and is
most probably the most important item on the roadmap (as far as I can
see), would be an example shop, or a more "out of the box"
distribution of django-shop, to give people a good example of how to
use the shop. Maybe it should include configurableproducts by Zeus (so
that people can create their own products from the admin), and maybe
display some functionality around cart modifiers like taxes and
rebates?
This is an area you are welcome to contribute to, even start your own!
I would be glad to "bless" such a demonstration shop with all the
might of a core developer, if you feel it could help.
Another area of work would be to support multiple currencies in a more
complete way (checkout
github.com/chrisglass/django-shop-multiplecurrencies for a basic
working plugin), by either completing this plugin or writing a new one
from scratch (if you feel the need to).

Documentation, while usually seen as boring to write, is also very
welcome. Writing an example project (that is colorful and sells
whatever you feel needs selling, like cheese, or unicorns, or whatever
you can come up with =) )would be a good ground to go through the
existing doc and fill in the gaps... And docs get in the code much
faster (since they basically don't need unit tests other than somebody
reading it).

Hope this makes sense understanding the state of this project - most
of the stuff works in a "good enough" state *for us*, so please, by
all means, show us where we could improve :)

Best regards,

- Chris