DJango doesn't work with Oracle 11g on Windows 8

Alec Taylor

Sep 21, 2011, 11:25:05 AM9/21/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Good morning,

Unfortunately DJango doesn't work with Oracle 11g Express on Windows 8 x64.

DJango error: http://pastebin.com/8tAzsjYh (summary: "No module named
cx_Oracle")

pip install cx_Oracle output: http://pastebin.com/6Y61PqSM

easy_install cx_Oracle output: http://pastebin.com/rCsY63RS

How can I make DJango work with my Oracle 11g Express database?

Thanks for all suggestions,

Alec Taylor

Simon Charette

Sep 21, 2011, 11:41:04 AM9/21/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Karen Tracey

Sep 21, 2011, 12:07:37 PM9/21/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Please ask questions about using Django (which includes getting things configured to run properly on various different platforms/DBs) on the django-users mailing list. The topic of this list is the development of Django itself.

Karen

Jacob Kaplan-Moss

Sep 21, 2011, 1:35:28 PM9/21/11
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Simon Charette <chare...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vcvarsall.bat

C'mon, that's totally rude and really not OK.

If you have the time to answer someone's question then please do so,
but if you don't simply telling people to "google for it" or "RTFM" is
just impolite. "lmgtfy" in particular mocks the person asking a
question. That's unacceptable behavior around here.

If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all.

Jacob

Anthony Tuininga

Sep 21, 2011, 1:47:01 PM9/21/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You should just download and install cx_Oracle directly instead of
trying to build it. In theory it should work on Windows 8 without
needing a rebuild. :-)

http://cx-oracle.sourceforge.net/

If you do actually need to rebuild because of Windows 8 you can use
the platform development kit available from Microsoft which includes
the compilers and set the environment variable

DISTUTILS_USE_SDK=1

Without that you need a copy of Visual Studio installed on your machine.

Hope that helps.

Anthony

Alec Taylor

Sep 21, 2011, 11:58:10 PM9/21/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Anthony, unfortunately although I made progress, I am still
unable to proceed due to an error.

manage.py syncdb error: http://pastebin.com/syqxF4m6

Anthony Tuininga

Sep 22, 2011, 12:16:04 AM9/22/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome. This can be due to a number of things -- one of them
might be the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit -- not sure which
one you are using, of course. Everything has to match -- Python,
Oracle and cx_Oracle. You might be able to find something out using
"Process Explorer" which will tell you what problems you have with
a PYD file is in any case). Hope some of that helps!

Anthony

Alec Taylor

Sep 22, 2011, 1:19:59 AM9/22/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

I'm running 64-bit Python 2.7, with 64-bit cx_Oracle.

lrek...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2011, 2:38:51 AM9/22/11
to django-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Anthony, Hi Alec,

It's great that you're making progress on this issue, but as Karen already noted your discussion is off-topic for this list. So please move it to either django-users or some private channel.

Thanks in advance,
Lukasz Rekucki