Tagging 1.4 django release in Subversion

Visto 182 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

jdetaeye

no leída,
25 mar 2012, 2:26:1725/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com

Can a developer please tag the 1.4 release in the SVN repository please? Ie create http://code.djangoproject.com/svn/django/tags/releases/1.4
Looks like it was forgotten...

Johan

Florian Apolloner

no leída,
25 mar 2012, 7:02:3025/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

it's not tagged yet on purpose.

Cheers,
Florian

Tai Lee

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 0:05:4726/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
How come? The release that can be downloaded from the site already must correspond to an SVN revision number, right? Why not tag it as such so that people can easily get the same code from SVN as from the release tarball?

Cheers.
Tai.

Florian Apolloner

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 11:47:3926/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

good news: tag is there (https://code.djangoproject.com/changeset/17810)

On Monday, March 26, 2012 6:05:47 AM UTC+2, Tai Lee wrote:
How come? The release that can be downloaded from the site already must correspond to an SVN revision number, right? Why not tag it as such so that people can easily get the same code from SVN as from the release tarball?

Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of using an svn tag over the released tarball?

Cheers,
Florian

Tom Evans

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 11:59:4526/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Florian Apolloner
<f.apo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it's not tagged yet on purpose.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian

Out of interest, is there any documentation of the release process?
I'm also intrigued how you have a release tarball before you have
tagged the release!

Cheers

Tom

Johan

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 12:01:0726/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com

Thanks!

>>Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of using an svn tag over the released tarball?

For my project I need to apply some patches to the django code (eg for #8280).  Applying a patch on svn checkout allows me to track my changes better, and upgrade them between releases.

Johan

Florian Apolloner

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 12:13:2726/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

On Monday, March 26, 2012 5:59:45 PM UTC+2, Tom Evans wrote:

Out of interest, is there any documentation of the release process?

Not sure if the process is documented in public somewhere, a quick search suggests no -- might be wrong.

I'm also intrigued how you have a release tarball before you have
tagged the release!

It's magic :þ

Reinout van Rees

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 20:44:2326/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 26-03-12 18:13, Florian Apolloner wrote:

> I'm also intrigued how you have a release tarball before you have
> tagged the release!
>
> It's magic :�

Well, it is the kind of magic that gets you burned at the stake for
witchcraft :-)

Having a release before the tag? Sounds weird to me. Making a tag is
integral to the actual release, right? Curious :-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees http://reinout.vanrees.org/
rei...@vanrees.org http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/

James Bennett

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 20:47:0726/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Reinout van Rees <rei...@vanrees.org> wrote:
> Having a release before the tag? Sounds weird to me. Making a tag is
> integral to the actual release, right? Curious :-)

The tag and the release package are both just the same revision from
trunk, so there is no requirement for the tag to exist in order to
release.

In this case we were holding off a bit to see if we could pull off the
GitHub migration quickly after the release, in which case it'd be one
less thing to migrate (easy enough to just tag the release once we get
it over there). But since that didn't happen, it's now been tagged in
SVN.

Łukasz Rekucki

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 21:00:3526/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
On 27 March 2012 02:44, Reinout van Rees <rei...@vanrees.org> wrote:
> On 26-03-12 18:13, Florian Apolloner wrote:
>>

>>    I'm also intrigued how you have a release tarball before you have
>>    tagged the release!
>>
>> It's magic :ş

> Well, it is the kind of magic that gets you burned at the stake for
> witchcraft :-)

That only means it must be effective ;)

As for the GitHub migration, I noticed this little repo[1]. Are you
collecting only major contributors or is it open for pull requests ?

[1]: https://github.com/brosner/django-git-authors

--
Łukasz Rekucki

Alex Gaynor

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 21:01:5826/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com

As far as I understand, it's only needed for people with commits in the SVN repo.  (That is, commit authors, not patch contributors).

Alex

--
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (summarizing Voltaire)

Reinout van Rees

no leída,
26 mar 2012, 22:23:3926/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com

Good reason.

I'm looking forward to seeing how github plays out for Django. It'll be
anything from a fun sociological experiment to a possible boost for
participation. Really positively curious how it will play out.

Łukasz Rekucki

no leída,
27 mar 2012, 1:09:4427/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com

For a moment, I thought we could have some more of that magic and
amend the commits in git, so that "author" would be the patch
contributor and commit author would be the "committer". This should be
possible in most cases, as you only need to map the "Thanks <trac
username>" to an email address and github should do the rest.

> Alex
>

> --
> "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to
> say it." -- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (summarizing Voltaire)
> "The people's good is the highest law." -- Cicero
>

> --

Łukasz Rekucki

Florian Apolloner

no leída,
27 mar 2012, 6:01:4927/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:09:44 AM UTC+2, Łukasz Rekucki wrote:

For a moment, I thought we could have some more of that magic and
amend the commits in git, so that "author" would be the patch
contributor and commit author would be the "committer". This should be
possible in most cases, as you only need to map the "Thanks <trac
username>" to an email address and github should do the rest.

Not really possible, or how are you planning to map "Thanks me, you, someoneelse" to git -- afaik the support only one author field ;) (Aside from that, I guess the migration is enough work already, so…)

Cheers,
Florian

Luke Plant

no leída,
28 mar 2012, 3:37:2328/3/12
a django-d...@googlegroups.com

And also, even for the single author case, I have very often committed
patches where I have made slight or extensive tweaks, and I wouldn't
want that code to be attributed to them, since I might have introduced
bugs myself.

Luke

--
"I spilled spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone." (Steven Wright)

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/

Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar