Proposal: remove django-dbgettext support for cms content in 2.2

Jonas Obrist

Jan 3, 2011, 11:44:53 AM1/3/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Hi Devs

I propose dropping django-dbgettext support in the CMS in 2.2, which would mean before we release 2.1 we need to put Deprecation Warnings in there, which is why I bring this up now.

Why should we do that?

- It's an 100% untested feature
- Noone I know uses it, so again, I don't know if it works
- It duplicates a feature we already handle, doubling the work for us
- I personally believe it's a bad idea anyway.

Does anyone have any good arguments against dropping it?

Jonas

Jannis Leidel

Jan 3, 2011, 11:47:52 AM1/3/11
to django-cms-developers
Jonas Obrist wrote:
> Hi Devs
>
> I propose dropping django-dbgettext support in the CMS in 2.2, which would
> mean before we release 2.1 we need to put Deprecation Warnings in there,
> which is why I bring this up now.

+1 for the exact same reasons you mentioned.

Jannis

?yvind Saltvik

Jan 3, 2011, 11:49:34 AM1/3/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
No arguments against dropping django-dbgettext by be.

Øyvind

yml

Jan 3, 2011, 12:23:46 PM1/3/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
I don't even know what you are talking about to I guess I am not using it  :-)

Jonas Obrist

Jan 3, 2011, 12:28:55 PM1/3/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
By default it is disabled, so you probably don't use it.

Stefan Foulis

Jan 4, 2011, 3:12:00 AM1/4/11
to django-cms-developers
+1 for removal

Tribaal

Jan 4, 2011, 3:37:06 AM1/4/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
+1 for removal from me as well.

Piotr Kilczuk

Jan 4, 2011, 4:17:41 AM1/4/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
+2 (colleague asked me to ;)

Regards,
Piotr

Ruben

Jan 4, 2011, 6:14:54 AM1/4/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
+1 just to keep it DRY

.. but anyone there AGAINST removal??

Jonas Obrist

Jan 4, 2011, 8:10:46 AM1/4/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
A deprecation warning was added and this feature will be dropped in 2.2.

Jonas Obrist

Feb 1, 2011, 3:17:17 PM2/1/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
I've done this in a branch: https://github.com/ojii/django-cms/tree/feature/dbgettext-removal

I'd like to have at least another +1 for that branch from another core dev before I merge.

Tribaal

Feb 2, 2011, 7:23:39 AM2/2/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Well, all core devs +1'd, except erobit.

Eric, anything specific?

Otherwise, go ahead and merge ;)

- Trib'