Proposal: Make tests run using virtualenv, add runtests_virtualenv.sh

Øyvind Saltvik

Feb 1, 2011, 2:34:51 PM2/1/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
When using buildout ad running tests against both django trunk and the current stable when developing buildout has to rebuild the env each time you switch inbetween.

Using virtualenv this is easily solved by having two virtual environments to swap invetween.

So I propose adding a runtests_virtualenv.sh or moving the test running to use virtualenv alltogether.

Alternatively make buildout build two environments aswell.

Jonas Obrist

Feb 1, 2011, 3:18:10 PM2/1/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
I'm -0.5 on this.

Simply because I'm not a huge fan of virtualenv, I just personally believe that buildout is better. However I see the point in this, so should this have the support of the community, I'm okay with it.

Jonas

yml

Feb 2, 2011, 3:48:19 AM2/2/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
I think that this might be prone to flame war buildout vs pip+virtualenv. My personal feeling is that the later (pip+virtualenv) win the battle in the python community.
+1 for having an option to use virtualenv.

--yml

Kevin Renskers

Feb 2, 2011, 3:54:47 AM2/2/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
pip + virtualenv have my vote too: +1.

Jannis Leidel

Feb 2, 2011, 5:01:28 AM2/2/11
On 02.02.2011, at 09:48, yml wrote:

> I think that this might be prone to flame war buildout vs pip+virtualenv. My personal feeling is that the later (pip+virtualenv) win the battle in the python community.
> +1 for having an option to use virtualenv.

I'd like to make a slightly different proposal, let's use tox.

http://codespeak.net/tox/

It's a great tool since it allows us to test in various environments and uses virtualenv/pip internally and integrates nicely with Hudson, err Jenkins.

A simple example would be https://github.com/jezdez/django-staticfiles/blob/master/tox.ini which tests staticfiles on Django 1.1.X, 1.2.X and 1.3.X (beta) and Python 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7.

Jannis

Øyvind Saltvik

Feb 2, 2011, 5:17:10 AM2/2/11
to django-cms-developers
Ooo, nice.

+1

On 2 Feb, 11:01, Jannis Leidel <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02.02.2011, at 09:48, yml wrote:
>
> > I think that this might be prone to flame war buildout vs pip+virtualenv. My personal feeling is that the later (pip+virtualenv) win the battle in the python community.
> > +1 for having an option to use virtualenv.
>
> I'd like to make a slightly different proposal, let's use tox.
>
>    http://codespeak.net/tox/
>
> It's a great tool since it allows us to test in various environments and uses virtualenv/pip internally and integrates nicely with Hudson, err Jenkins.
>
> A simple example would behttps://github.com/jezdez/django-staticfiles/blob/master/tox.iniwhich tests staticfiles on Django 1.1.X, 1.2.X and 1.3.X (beta) and Python 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7.
>
> Jannis

Tribaal

Feb 2, 2011, 7:13:04 AM2/2/11
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Tox was designed to handle precisely our use case.

Clearly, +1