Using 35 mm film negatives as lithography masks for microfluidics and microelectronics

Bryan Bishop

Jun 16, 2014, 8:34:51 PM6/16/14
to diybio, Bryan Bishop, Open Manufacturing
Here's an interesting method of microfabrication based on conventional photography:

Here's what it looks like when you directly expose 16 mm film to objects ("the film was entirely developed and assembled in the dark room, using various bugs, organic elements, liquids, leafs, and bacteria growth in petri dishes laid directly onto the film"):

Although there don't seem to be any microfiche/microfilm suppliers still kicking(?), here's a very similar method based on reducing photographic negatives to microfiche:

There are a bunch of options for biology equipment in microfluidics:

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Jonathan BISSON

Jun 17, 2014, 11:20:18 AM6/17/14
to Bryan Bishop, diybio
Rah. I dream of a similar method for etching glass plates. I'm not able
to use PDMS due to incompatibility with the chemicals I want to put in
there (organic solvents mostly).

Alex Murer [Open Biolab Graz Austria]

Jun 17, 2014, 11:36:45 AM6/17/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com, bjonnh...@bjonnh.net

You can get samples of flurinated silicones like SIFEL. What solvents are you working with?

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlepdf/2011/lc/c0lc00550a

Jonathan BISSON

Jun 17, 2014, 12:06:01 PM6/17/14
to Alex Murer [Open Biolab Graz Austria], diy...@googlegroups.com, kan...@gmail.com
"Alex Murer [Open Biolab Graz Austria]" <alex.m...@gmail.com>
writes:
Alkanes (5-8 C), Alcools (Methanol, Ethanol, and so on), Water, Alkyl
Acetates (methyl acetate, ethyl acetate). Eventuallly DMSO and
chlorinated solvents (but I can avoid these in that case).

Yeah I was lurking through the fluorinated ones, as PTFE is good
enough for these solvents.

Nathan McCorkle

Jun 17, 2014, 3:13:38 PM6/17/14
to diybio
There's also Foturan, which is photo-crystallizing glass:
http://invenios.com/micro-fabrication-resources/foturan-photo-sensitive-glass/
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/877g4fsetm.fsf%40lappynou.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me.

-Nathan

John Griessen

Jun 17, 2014, 3:33:09 PM6/17/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 06/17/2014 02:13 PM, Nathan McCorkle wrote:
> There's also Foturan, which is photo-crystallizing glass:
> http://invenios.com/micro-fabrication-resources/foturan-photo-sensitive-glass/

Sounds nifty. Several steps though. Wonder how high FOTURAN Schott glass prices are?

How about this idea:

Use one of your local cheap/open hardware XYZ gantry bots to hold a small CO2
laser and optics. Have some inexpensive optically flat glass on a bed in a tank
with some NaOH for etchant flooded over the glass surface at T - .5 seconds
or some time that works empirically to have a film of X thickness of etchant
on the glass. Write patterns in the caustic on glass by way of the heat of the laser
accelerating usual NaOH etching, and probably having some blast/ablate effect because
of temperature differentials.

Might get low cost channels cut. Sounds like fun experimenting. Need to get my
XYZ gantry bots built... Might infringe a stratasys patent depending on their claims.