Biocurious Classes

Lawrence

Jan 31, 2013, 4:03:39 PM1/31/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I was looking at the Biocurious website. They offer classes, does anyone know what type of classes they teach? Is there any way to access freely the information they teach? The course outline and notes for it? It is great they offer courses but not everyone can get to them.

Are there any other groups that do the same thing? Are these courses available for free and online?

Thanks

Patrik D'haeseleer

Jan 31, 2013, 6:51:17 PM1/31/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lawrence,

You can see all the classes we teach on our Meetup page:

http://www.meetup.com/BioCurious/

What classes get taught really depends on who's interested in teaching something (or who's arm we can twist...). We don't have any funding to offer a professional teaching stipend, but we do share part of the income from the classes with the teachers.

Whether or not the teachers come up with a written outline (or videotape the class) and share that online is entirely up to them. We don't really have anything set up to do that in any formal way right now (actually, you may have noticed that our entire web presence needs some serious work ;-)

Patrik

kwtaylor3

Feb 1, 2013, 12:36:43 PM2/1/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

Kyle here - I've been trying to work on curriculum development stuff at BioCurious.  I'm interested in trying to make the classes/information more widely available, but would need help to make this happen.  Would you (or anyone else for that matter) be interested in working together to see what we could pull together?

Here is a link to a google doc of learning objectives for a series of classes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vUM7YcdwJs358u5_t8UI-h38WWDqc15nqbM5isj1Gsg/edit?usp=sharing

I'm in the process of developing classes around these goals. Ideally, I'd like to make the classes/information available online.

Thanks,

Kyle