Google+ Hangouts for DIYbio?

CodonAUG

Jun 27, 2012, 9:57:51 AM6/27/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Is there any interest or has anyone tried using the Google+ hangouts for sharing and teaching bio techniques?
I have seen the astronomy community use the Google+ hangouts to great effect (6 astronomers showing feeds from their telescopes and answering questions and discussing topics).

I think it would be a good way to connect those in the community (like me) who do not have any local bio hackerspaces connect with others.

Bryan Bishop

Jun 27, 2012, 11:38:13 AM6/27/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM, CodonAUG wrote:
I think it would be a good way to connect those in the community (like me) who do not have any local bio hackerspaces connect with others.

Another alternative is irc. This "hangout" is 50+ strong.

##hplusroadmap
#diybio
#biopunk

Lee Nelson

Jun 27, 2012, 8:47:02 PM6/27/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Is there any interest or has anyone tried using the Google+ hangouts for sharing and teaching bio techniques?

Please add me to any DIY Bio circles. I am already at the 5000 limit.

Thanks,
Lee

CodonAUG

Jun 28, 2012, 10:43:42 AM6/28/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
The Google+ Hangouts are better than IRC for some things.  Being able to have multiple simultaneous video feeds from multiple people would let the community share techniques, educate people, or just video chat.

Eugen Leitl

Jun 28, 2012, 10:54:09 AM6/28/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 07:43:42AM -0700, CodonAUG wrote:
> The Google+ Hangouts are better than IRC for some things. Being able to

Except that they're a proprietary technology operated
by an enterprise, and not open source protocols and implementations,
run on own infrastructure.

> have multiple simultaneous video feeds from multiple people would let the
> community share techniques, educate people, or just video chat.

I notice that top-posting and not trimming replies (message unchanged
below) is also considered "better".

> On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:38:13 AM UTC-7, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM, CodonAUG wrote:
> >
> >> I think it would be a good way to connect those in the community (like
> >> me) who do not have any local bio hackerspaces connect with others.
> >

> > Another alternative is irc. This "hangout" is 50+ strong.
> >
> > irc.freenode.net
> > ##hplusroadmap
> > #diybio
> > #biopunk
> >
> > - Bryan
> > http://heybryan.org/
> > 1 512 203 0507
> >

> --

8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A 7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE

ruphos

Jun 28, 2012, 12:52:21 PM6/28/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 07:43:42AM -0700, CodonAUG wrote:
> The Google+ Hangouts are better than IRC for some things.  Being able to

Except that they're a proprietary technology operated
by an enterprise, and not open source protocols and implementations,
run on own infrastructure.

Except that's philosophy and not a valid reason as to why a text based chat protocol is more helpful than multiple video streams.

> have multiple simultaneous video feeds from multiple people would let the
> community share techniques, educate people, or just video chat.

I notice that top-posting and not trimming replies (message unchanged
below) is also considered "better".

What, couldn't find a spelling error to critique?

--
"And if ye cannot be saints of knowledge, then be at least its warriors."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Eugen Leitl

Jun 28, 2012, 1:02:13 PM6/28/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 09:52:21AM -0700, ruphos wrote:

> Except that's philosophy and not a valid reason as to why a text based chat

Politics, actually.

> protocol is more helpful than multiple video streams.

If you're using video for more than just talking heads you've
got yourself a case. If not, not.

> > have multiple simultaneous video feeds from multiple people would let the
> > > community share techniques, educate people, or just video chat.
> >
> > I notice that top-posting and not trimming replies (message unchanged
> > below) is also considered "better".
> >

> What, couldn't find a spelling error to critique?

You've got the wrong nazi.

CodonAUG

Jun 29, 2012, 10:32:36 AM6/29/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Should anyone have the time, check out the live "StarParties" Google+ hangouts by Pamela Gay and Fraser Cain.  They and other astronomers hang out and share information and talk about astronomy.  I think our community would benefit from these type of video events because we could  share techniques and converse in a more human way than we otherwise could with just a chat.  There are lots of people who do not have biology backgrounds that could benefit from these live interactions - more so than with this google group or irc.

Cathal Garvey

Jun 29, 2012, 11:22:42 AM6/29/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Compromise time: what good open source VIDEO conferencing systems are there, which are well suited to the 'interactive broadcast' style of a hangout?
>--

Sent from K-9 Mail on Android

Nathan McCorkle

Jun 29, 2012, 11:37:16 AM6/29/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 28, 2012 10:54 AM, "Eugen Leitl" <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 07:43:42AM -0700, CodonAUG wrote:
> > The Google+ Hangouts are better than IRC for some things.  Being able to
>
> Except that they're a proprietary technology operated
> by an enterprise, and not open source protocols and implementations,
> run on own infrastructure.

Buuuuut this google group is out of our controllable infrastructure

QDragon Leet

Jun 30, 2012, 4:01:36 AM6/30/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com
i'd also be very interested in something like this

is there a G+ group?

CodonAUG

Jul 1, 2012, 7:52:36 PM7/1/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com