Good places for sequencing?

Koeng

Mar 31, 2013, 11:18:19 PM3/31/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone. I was looking for advice on where I should get sequence verification, just for genes I clone into plasmids. Any places you guys recommend? So far I am looking at genescript because I got some DNA synthesized there and I was happy with their service. Any places you guys have tried?

-Koeng

Avery louie

Mar 31, 2013, 11:33:49 PM3/31/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
location is important for this.  I am in Boston, so Wyzer biotech will pick up my samples and have them done the next day or something, for $5.

--A

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/fnnLSy77WVgJ.

Koeng

Mar 31, 2013, 11:41:49 PM3/31/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
wow that's awesome. I am near LA, and I don't know any biotech companies, so I don't think I am that lucky.... an other places???

Cory Tobin

Mar 31, 2013, 11:46:36 PM3/31/13
to diybio

In Los Angeles both Retrogen and Laragen are alright.  Pickup locations at all the universities.  I've had better luck getting long, high quality reads from Retrogen, though.

-cory

Mega

Apr 1, 2013, 5:00:24 AM4/1/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Avery,

you mean they pick it up for 5$?

Or sequence an entire plasmid for it? Do they sequence it just one time?

Nathan McCorkle

Apr 1, 2013, 5:16:47 AM4/1/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Mega <masters...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Avery,
>
> you mean they pick it up for 5$?

Sanger sequencing at most local 'core' genomics labs is $5-20
depending on the purity and whether you provide primers or if the DNA
is after a common sequencing primer site (i.e. M13).

"
Cost
Costs are $12.00 for Full Service reactions and $5.00 for Ready-to-Run
reactions.
"
http://www.genoseq.ucla.edu/action/view/Sequencing_Core_Customer_Info

> Or sequence an entire plasmid for it? Do they sequence it just one time?
>
> --
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/diybio/-/tvHnMkqmwOAJ.

-Nathan

Mega

Apr 1, 2013, 3:25:32 PM4/1/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Wow that is awesome...

I would like pVIB sequenced, because all the online sources say something different.

I also reconstructed it by virtually digesting the genomic sequence with BamHI and then SalI. That must be the sequence, but a confirmation would be great.

Do you think they have primers for pBR322 (the vector of pVIB) ?

Dakota Hamill

Apr 1, 2013, 3:36:33 PM4/1/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
That should give you the primers for the pBR322 .

Most sequencing companies will list their "on site" plasmids, and often times if requested, will supply their primers for your reaction free of charge.  I find a lot of sequencing companies I've dealt with are extremely fast at answering emails, some even have live chats which connect you with people within 20 seconds, and they could tell you the cost of the single read for the plasmid as well as if the primers are available.

Example, here are the free primers GENEWIZ provides

http://www.genewiz.com/public/universalprimers.aspx

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.