How many of biohackers work in the industry?

Edward Perello

Mar 14, 2013, 11:09:10 PM3/14/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Do we have data (or estimates) on the ratio of enthusiast biohackers to industry and also academia biohackers?

Koeng

Mar 16, 2013, 7:34:51 PM3/16/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Don't think so

Jonathan Cline

Mar 31, 2013, 1:56:10 AM3/31/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, jcline

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:09:10 PM UTC-7, Edward Perello wrote:
Do we have data (or estimates) on the ratio of enthusiast biohackers to industry and also academia biohackers?

From what I've seen I'd estimate:

 10%-25% of biohackers are in the bio-pharma-chem industry.
 10%-25% of peeps were previously employed in the industry, though currently unemployed and looking for work.
 10% freakazoid whackos often in need of better hygiene and fashion sense
 The remainder are normal people with a side interest in bio or students in bio/chem programs.  There also seems to be a consistent sprinkling of mechanical/industrial eng peeps.

Of those in the bio-industry or previously in the bio-industry, few discussions contain positive descriptions of it.  Common topics of disgust include poor project management practices, patent lockup, reagent waste, materials costs, lack of innovation, inability to obtain desired funding.

## Jonathan Cline
## jcl...@ieee.org
## Mobile: +1-805-617-0223