WebRTC functionality in Internet Explorer, via Chrome Frame

Serge Lachapelle

Jun 18, 2012, 1:55:26 PM6/18/12
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thought I'd share the fact that Chrome Frame enables WebRTC to be used from within Internet Explorer(IE).

Here is how:

When web developers add <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="chrome=1">
at the top of their web page, IE will use Chrome Frame to render it. More information on Chrome Frame here.

To test this today, it requires you to use Chrome’s Dev Channel. In the future, the WebRTC APIs will be available in both Chrome and Chrome Frame’s stable channels, without requiring any flags or other special user interventions.

To test WebRTC from within Internet Explorer today, please follow these instructions:

1. Download Chrome’s Dev Channel browser. (This does not work with Canary).

2. Quit all of your browsers.

3. Install Chrome’s Dev Channel.

4. Start Internet Explorer and point it here http://www.google.com/chromeframe?quickenable=true to install and enable Chrome Frame.

5. To enable PeerConnection, set a flag by using regedit (usual disclaimers apply) and create the following entry in your registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome]
"AdditionalLaunchParameters"="--enable-peer-connection"

6. Re-start IE. As an example, point IE to http://apprtc.appspot.com

7. Enjoy.

Special Note: The getUserMedia flag is no longer required in the Dev Channel, thus no registry changes are required for Chrome Frame. Only PeerConnection still requires a flag / registry change.

Let us know how your testing of this feature works out for your webrtc app!

/Serge

Google Sweden AB | Kungsbron 2, SE-111 22 Stockholm | Org. nr. 556656-6880
Apparently, this footer is required in Europe. Apologies. This email may be confidential or privileged.  If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else,please erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it went to the wrong person.  Thanks. No internet explorers were harmed during the testing of this feature. Promise.

Kevin Glass

Jun 18, 2012, 1:59:09 PM6/18/12
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

I've been using this for a while though I didn't realise you could use registry to add the extra parameters, would never work for me.

Once you've installed chrome frame you can start the chrome browser with a user dir parameter and set the flags using chrome flags page also.

Thanks for extra info!

Kev

ram mohan

Jul 3, 2013, 11:34:21 PM7/3/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Serge,
     I tried installing on windows vista and 7for IE9, in that both i could not find the reg keys as you mentioned below.
also, can u pls explain be why chorme dev channel is required to insall if we install chrome frame alone will do?

Regards
Ram

Daniel Goepp

Jul 4, 2013, 4:16:58 PM7/4/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps worth noting here in case you were note aware that support for Chrome Frame is ending:

Michel Memeteau

Aug 30, 2013, 8:50:28 AM8/30/13

Le jeudi 4 juillet 2013 22:16:58 UTC+2, Daniel Goepp a écrit :
Perhaps worth noting here in case you were note aware that support for Chrome Frame is ending:

As webRTC is gaining popularity, the chromium frame will still be the best option for IE.

All we need is a central website for installing chromium frame easily.

PhistucK

Aug 30, 2013, 2:28:03 PM8/30/13
to WebRTC-discuss
Yes, until it is not available anymore.

PhistucK

--

---

michel memeteau

Sep 1, 2013, 5:21:00 AM9/1/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
You're misunderstanding. the chromium project is opensource and include 99% of the chromeframe code. SO you will always be able to build a fully functionnal chromium frame.

What we miss right now is a central website for hosting stable builds.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "discuss-webrtc" group.

<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

web perso : http://memeteau.org

PhistucK

Sep 1, 2013, 5:27:15 AM9/1/13
to WebRTC-discuss
Right, but once Chrome Frame is discontinued, the responsibility of keeping the Chrome Frame source up to date with the Chromium code base would be yours - which is not an easy task, considering the high number of changes that are made in Chrome every day. As time goes by, it would become increasingly harder, as complexities, workarounds, hacks and bridges that made Chrome Frame possible would be eliminated.

PhistucK

michel memeteau

Sep 1, 2013, 5:33:37 AM9/1/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Phil , you are absolutly right. What I meant is that it's up to the community to carry on the "frame" project that enabled almost 100% HTML5 browsers and thus enable people to work on anything than supporting old browsers.

the more I think about it , the more I think that the "frame" project should now live without google.

I've tested the chromium Frame included in the Mini chromium installer on XP/IE8 and it works great.

<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

web perso : http://memeteau.org

PhistucK

Sep 1, 2013, 5:37:41 AM9/1/13
to WebRTC-discuss
(I am not Phil)

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that the community will undertake such a project.

PhistucK

Stephen Korow

Nov 22, 2013, 12:21:06 PM11/22/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Do you know what version of Chrome Frame started the support of WebRTC?

Thank you

Stephen

PhistucK

Nov 23, 2013, 3:19:54 AM11/23/13
to WebRTC-discuss
I guess the same Chrome version.
Chrome 21 (released as beta in July, 2012) has getUserMedia.
Chrome 23 (released as beta in October, 2012) has getUserMedia and PeerConnection.

PhistucK

Brendan Daunt

Feb 4, 2014, 1:34:51 PM2/4/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
I followed the steps provided and get the error attached ("getUserMedia() failed"). Pretty plain vanilla 32-bit system with both Chrome and IE11 installed. Is there anything else I should try?

On Monday, June 18, 2012 1:55:26 PM UTC-4, Serge Lachapelle wrote:
webrtc_frameerr.png

Vikas

Feb 4, 2014, 2:00:33 PM2/4/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

Michel Memeteau

Feb 5, 2014, 10:43:22 AM2/5/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure your chrome Frame is enabled on IE11 ?

Because your Popup seems to come from IE.

By default IE11 has some kind of protective mode that prevent chromeFrame and other plugins to work.

Just go here to check

and see by right clicking if the engine used is really chromeFrame