Will Google chrome for iOS support WebRTC

Jonathan Ekwempu

Oct 4, 2013, 1:24:14 PM10/4/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Does any body know if Google chrome for iOS will eventually support WebRTC? So that WebRTC will be available for iPhones. iPad etc.

Thanks.
Jonathan Ekwempu

Serge Lachapelle

Oct 4, 2013, 1:46:21 PM10/4/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
The browser situation on iOS is different than other platforms. Until Apple lifts the ban on non-safari rendering engines, or add WebRTC to its platforms web based RTC will not be possible.

We are working hard on landing iOS Peer Connection libraries though, for people writing iOS apps that want to interop with Chrome.

/Serge

--

---

Mike K

Oct 11, 2013, 7:40:49 AM10/11/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
When will the iOS library be available is there already any beta project or code that we can try?

Gerald Robert Quinones

Nov 1, 2013, 5:04:47 AM11/1/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't phonegap be the workaround to allow webrtc and iOS work?

Giorgio Natili

Nov 6, 2013, 5:23:49 PM11/6/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
No, because PhoneGap uses a WebView and this uses the one provided by the operating system.

Michael Rumack

Mar 31, 2014, 10:27:21 AM3/31/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
There is a workaround available if you are building a native IOS application.  look up webrtc-ios on github.

Mark Lynch

Jun 20, 2014, 9:29:35 PM6/20/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Serge
I know this is an old thread but surely it is possible to add the additional APIs via JavaScript calling into native code. If chrome on iOS did this then it could patch webrtc support in? The bowser POC from erricson did this. http://labs.ericsson.com/apps/bowser

It would be awesome to get this into chrome on iOS.

Cheers
Mark

Serge Lachapelle

Jun 21, 2014, 7:43:44 AM6/21/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Great question.

We looked at this a while back and concluded that we could not do this easily and securely. Let me talk to the appropriate people so that I can give you a solid answer.

/Serge

--

---

Mark Lynch

Jun 21, 2014, 7:56:00 AM6/21/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Serge,

That would be brilliant - really interested to see what the challenges here might be, and if there is a way that I can help push this forward.

Thanks,
Mark

--

---

Mark Lynch
Learnosity - Assessment Innovation
www.learnosity.com
Ph: 0421 050 695

Justin Uberti

Jun 21, 2014, 6:09:24 PM6/21/14
to discuss-webrtc
Adding support for audio and data would be fairly straightforward - as you say, we could inject new JS APIs into WebKit. Adding support for video is a lot more complicated, since we wouldn't just need to add JS APIs, but we'd need to make the existing WebKit <video/> tag work for the external APIs we added.

It's certainly not impossible, but it's a lot of work. We've currently been focusing on making our native stack work great on iOS.

Mark Lynch

Jun 22, 2014, 9:23:04 PM6/22/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin,

That's good and bad news from my perspective.   I'm currently focussed on the audio components of it and specifically the GetUserMedia function.

See demo page here:

Even without the video component it would be a great step to have Audio working on Chrome on IOS, and would allow a lot of different functionality to recommend using Chrome on iOS instead of Safari.  I'm thinking things like SoundCloud,  TokBox, and our use case in Learnosity.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I could help get this integrated?  And would a partial implementation of it without Video be able to be released?

Regards,
Mark

bryand...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2014, 12:52:00 PM6/23/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
+1 for adding the "straightforward" parts (audio + data) even if the rest has to wait.

Venkateswar Reddy Melachervu

Jun 23, 2014, 1:39:12 PM6/23/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
+1 for adding the "straightforward" parts (audio + data) in the browser, even if the rest has to wait.

Philippe Clavel

Jun 23, 2014, 1:56:14 PM6/23/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
+1 for that too and also interested in a Native iOS library ;)

Tom Hartnett

Jun 23, 2014, 2:41:41 PM6/23/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Audio WebRTC support in Chrome iOS would be very useful for me too.

Mark Lynch

Jul 15, 2014, 11:40:02 PM7/15/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin & Serge,

Is there anything I can do to help get this audio piece moving - would be interested in sponsoring this if it would help.  Or do you have any other suggestions on how I can help get this prioritised and moving.

Regards,
Mark

Anthony Mayfield

Aug 17, 2014, 4:31:19 PM8/17/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, ma...@learnosity.com
Agreed, as someone designing an app which is already audio-only, I think it would be a great first step ;)

Justin Uberti

Aug 21, 2014, 9:46:30 PM8/21/14
to discuss-webrtc, ma...@learnosity.com
We have discussed this a fair amount. I suggest filing a crbug on this and we can figure out the details there.

If someone built a proof-of-concept by wiring the WebRTC stack to a UIWebView, that would also be helpful.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Anthony Mayfield <antma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Agreed, as someone designing an app which is already audio-only, I think it would be a great first step ;)

Justin Uberti

Aug 21, 2014, 9:52:05 PM8/21/14
to discuss-webrtc, ma...@learnosity.com
Once the bug is filed, if this support is important to you, please star the bug.

Mark Lynch

Aug 22, 2014, 6:10:25 AM8/22/14
to Justin Uberti, discuss-webrtc
Thanks Justin - I'll get a bug filed for this.

Regards,
Mark

PhistucK

Aug 22, 2014, 7:32:23 AM8/22/14
to WebRTC-discuss
And, please, post a link to it here. :)

PhistucK

Mark Lynch

Sep 20, 2014, 6:01:51 AM9/20/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
As suggested by Justin, I have posted a bug on this issue:

Please star it if it is important to you.

Thanks,
Mark

Fred Clark

Feb 10, 2015, 3:15:39 PM2/10/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Did the audio piece ever get added in?  This post has been inactive for a while.  I am interested in the audio only as well.

Stefan

Feb 11, 2015, 2:37:40 PM2/11/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
An option is to use Bowser (and OpenWebRTC): http://www.openwebrtc.io/bowser

Stefan

bryand...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2015, 5:21:14 PM2/11/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Bowser has never worked on my iPad, which is running the latest iOS version (8.1.3).  It freezes at startup every time.

Stefan

Feb 12, 2015, 1:51:58 PM2/12/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
That is fixed in version 0.4 currently in review. So if you can hold out for another day or two it may become useful for you :-)

Stefan

Feb 14, 2015, 10:54:00 AM2/14/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
New version of Bowser is now out: https://itunes.apple.com/app/bowser/id560478358?mt=8

Let me know if you can run it on older devices now.

Thanks,
Stefan

ak

Feb 14, 2015, 4:49:00 PM2/14/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Stefan

Is there a Bowser/WebRTC compatibility/feature list?
Does Bowser support SRTP yet?

Thanks

Stefan

Feb 15, 2015, 3:30:05 PM2/15/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Yes, SRTP is absolutely supported. You can find a comprehensive list here:

http://iswebrtcreadyyet.com

Bowser (and other OpenWebRTC apps) is interoperable with both Chrome and Firefox.

Stefan

ak

Feb 15, 2015, 3:43:13 PM2/15/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. Thank you. And for that valuable comparison matrix. You should link to that from http://www.openwebrtc.io/bowser :)

TEK Akateemiset

Jun 1, 2015, 10:14:51 AM6/1/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Bowser crashes on startup: IOS 7.1.1, iPhone 5.

Travis May

Jul 30, 2015, 1:03:24 AM7/30/15
to discuss-webrtc, onyi...@gmail.com
BOUNTY:  $10,000 USD

Voice+Data must work reliably in Chrome for iOS7+ with both PCMU and OPUS.
Payable: upon release to public via standard iOS upgrade path.

Travis May, Founder & CEO
TollFreeForwarding.com

See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=416226

Travis May

Nov 13, 2015, 9:26:23 PM11/13/15
to discuss-webrtc, onyi...@gmail.com
BOUNTY:  $25,000 USD

Voice+Data must work reliably in Chrome for iOS7+ with both PCMU and OPUS.
Payable: upon release to public via standard iOS upgrade path.

Travis May, Founder & CEO
TollFreeForwarding.com
9841 Airport Blvd
9th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90045

See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=416226

DevelopDaily

Feb 12, 2016, 9:35:49 AM2/12/16
to discuss-webrtc
Any updates on the bug "416226:Add WebRTC audio & data support on iOS (no video)"?

I watched your presentation "WebRTC for Android, iOS and Web" at Google I/O 2015 and thought the WebRTC had already been fully supported on iOS, but the Chrome for Mobile on my iPad with the latest iOS still does not work because it cannot get the media stream.

Could you please clarify the issue?

Thanks.

Dag-Inge Aas

Feb 12, 2016, 9:44:51 AM2/12/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

IOS has native app support already. There are sources available on webrtc.org.

Support in the browser is not landed, and will not land properly until Apple figures it wants to support webrtc. There are certain browsers available, such as Bowser, which do support a subset of WebRTC, but I'm not updated on how that is going.

For a guide (though somewhat outdated) on developing native apps for WebRTC on iOS and Android, please see:

https://tech.appear.in/2015/05/25/Getting-started-with-WebRTC-on-iOS/

https://tech.appear.in/2015/05/25/Getting-started-with-WebRTC-on-iOS/

--

---

Alexandre GOUAILLARD

Feb 14, 2016, 11:44:03 AM2/14/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
chrome on iOS is but a wrapper around (apple-provided, not webrtc-supporting) webkit. As long as webkit is not supporting webrtc, it would be very difficult to bypass that.

the webrtcinwebkit.com project, co-lead by Ericson research, which developed bowser and openWebRTC, is making progress in that direction. While apple has not made any official statement, they recently opened some webrtc positions, are contributing safari-specific webrtc code to webkit, and are reviewing the work of webrtcinwebkit. Nightly developers versions of safari and another linux browser based on webkit can already both interoperate with Chrome.

On a side note, the code is now complete, and the main things left is to port it into mainstream webkit. the webrtcinwebkit project is leveraging igalia expertise for that to fasten the process, sponsored by a few companies. We are still looking for a couple of additional sponsors. Contact me if you;re interested.

Latest commit pushed by Ericsson, reviewed and accepted by apple:

Alex. Gouaillard, PhD, PhD, MBA
Principal Architect - Citrix, San Francisco
President - CoSMo Software Consulting, Singapore