WebRTC streaming via MCU

Pedro Rodriguez Perez

May 3, 2012, 10:47:37 AM5/3/12
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, Alvaro Alonso, Javi Cerviño
Hi all:

We are PhD students at the Universidad Politecnica de Madrid working in real-time communications and collaborative software. We have been working with webRTC for the last months.

We have developed a simple MCU capable of forwarding webRTC streams to multiple participants.

We invite you to try our first demo:

http://chotis2.dit.upm.es

It is a broadcast from our university composed of video and audio:
- Video comes from a webcam: It takes a while to load and seems to be inconsistent but we are working on it.
- Audio comes from a voice synthesizer that read tweets with the #webrtc_dit hashtag.

We also added background music to avoid silences.

Note we are not using multiple peerConnections in the broadcaster, it is a single peerConnection connected to a external agent (MCU) that publishes the media, a simple web application connects the subscribers to the MCU, which will retransmit the stream.

Let us know what you think about the idea and thanks for helping us testing it.

Regards,

Pedro

PS: We are working on keeping compatibility with the latest canary versions.

Justin Uberti

May 7, 2012, 2:14:29 PM5/7/12
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, Alvaro Alonso, Javi Cerviño
Didn't seem to work for me in Version 20.0.1129.0 canary.

Pedro Rodriguez Perez

May 8, 2012, 12:00:23 PM5/8/12
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, Alvaro Alonso, Javi Cerviño
Hi:

We are having some problems with the latest versions (1129 and 1130).
We are using roap_on_jsep.js (thanks, it really helps us while we adapt the MCU to jsep) and had to modify createOffer (including the new syntax has_video, has_audio) after 1129 which seems to work in Mac OS X but it only generates audio candidates. On Windows 7 does not work at all.

We'll keep trying to adapt to new versions.

Regards,

Pedro

Harald Alvestrand

May 8, 2012, 12:11:48 PM5/8/12
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, Alvaro Alonso, Javi Cerviño
I know, I'm behind in modifying roap_on_jsep for this. If you send me your patches, I can integrate them!

          Harald

Pedro Rodriguez Perez

May 8, 2012, 1:38:38 PM5/8/12
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
We just changed:

199c199
<       var newOffer = this.peerConnection.createOffer('audio,video');
---
>       var newOffer = this.peerConnection.createOffer({has_audio:true,has_video:true});
224c224
<                                                'audio,video');
---
>                                                {has_audio:true,has_video:true});

It does not seem to be working well in Windows 7 yet, still get a JavaScript error. We'll keep working on it and post here if we find out anything.

Thanks!

Pedro

Vincent

Oct 30, 2012, 1:42:03 AM10/30/12
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, Alvaro Alonso, Javi Cerviño
Hi,

Tried your demo, but couldnt work here. Only one local video showed up and couldnt see the remote video from participants at the same room. Any thoughts?

OS: Win7
Chrome version: 21.0.1163.0, with peerconnection flags enabled.

javier cerviño

Oct 30, 2012, 5:30:25 AM10/30/12
to Vincent, discuss...@googlegroups.com, Alvaro Alonso
Hi Vincent, have you tried with version 22 of Chrome?

Anyway, could you send us the logs shown in the Web Inspector console?

Thanks!