Unable to mute the video object in my webrtc application (browser based)

Eric Davies

May 26, 2013, 1:58:09 PM5/26/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Once upon a time, you could attach the local media stream to a video object and chrome would automatically suppress the audio and firefox wouldn't, resulting in nasty audio feedback from your speaker to your mike if you used firefox.
Then chrome was modified to be more compliant and the video object no longer automatically suppressed audio from the local media stream; you had to add a muted attribute to the video object to do the suppression; this seemed to be ignored by firefox though.

As of a few days ago, the mute attribute isn't working in my webrtc demos in Chrome (Version 27.0.1453.94 m). I can examine the video object with the element inspector and see the muted attribute is set to true, but I'm still getting sound coming out. Setting the volume to 0 doesn't help either. I saw this happening a few week ago with Canary and now it's percolated down to Chrome.

What is very perplexing to me is the apprtc.appspot.com demo on Chrome doesn't seem to have this problem. I can  toggle the video objects's muted attribute with the element inspector and muting/unmuting happens as it should.
The apprtc.appspot demo also doesn't have the nasty audio feedback problem with firefox, but the muted attribute has a value of false.

Does anybody know what might have changed in Chrome in the last few days that could have scrambled things for me, and what the workaround is? Thank you.

Eric.

Henrik Andreasson

May 27, 2013, 3:36:53 AM5/27/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Eric, I just did some tests on Windows Chrome Canary and both volume and mute works as intended for the local audio stream. Which platform are you working on here?

Eric.

--

---

Eric Davies

May 27, 2013, 12:57:34 PM5/27/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Henrik,

This morning, I set out to create the most minimal demonstration of this as possible to show you. As a result of creating it, I was able to find the problem. In my library, in order to get the dimensions of the video stream, I was creating a video object that I attached the local media stream to. Once I got the dimensions of the video object, I no longer had any references to the video object. It looks like under Chrome the video object was being garbage collected in the past, but now it hangs around. I now use removeNode if it exists, or add it to a div and then removeChild if removeNode doesn't work.

Thank you!
Eric.

Miroslav Glamuzina

Apr 24, 2015, 5:46:39 PM4/24/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi, could you inform me on the code you changed to fix this please?

Eric Davies

Apr 24, 2015, 11:40:56 PM4/24/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
This was to easyrtc, an open source sdk built on top of WebRTC. Note, this was nearly two years ago.

--

---

Eric Davies