Store open for SM1000 pre-orders

David Rowe

Feb 28, 2015, 3:16:30 PM2/28/15
to freetel...@lists.sourceforge.net, digita...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Due to popular demand I have opened the SM1000 store for pre-orders:

http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3923

Cheers,

David

Remco Post

Feb 28, 2015, 6:28:26 PM2/28/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

“cannot deliver to the Netherlands” ?

—

73 de Remco Post, PE1PIP

David Rowe

Feb 28, 2015, 6:32:10 PM2/28/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Remco - I'll get Edwin to look into it. I'm new to the
Aliexpress store so might be an option we need to adjust.

Cheers,

David

On 01/03/15 09:58, Remco Post wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> “cannot deliver to the Netherlands” ?
>

>> Op 28 feb. 2015, om 21:16 heeft David Rowe <da...@rowetel.com
>> <mailto:da...@rowetel.com>> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Due to popular demand I have opened the SM1000 store for pre-orders:
>>
>> http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3923
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> David
>>
>> --
>
> —
>
> 73 de Remco Post, PE1PIP

David Rowe

Feb 28, 2015, 9:29:36 PM2/28/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
OK, should be fixed now .....

On 01/03/15 09:58, Remco Post wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> “cannot deliver to the Netherlands” ?
>

>> Op 28 feb. 2015, om 21:16 heeft David Rowe <da...@rowetel.com
>> <mailto:da...@rowetel.com>> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Due to popular demand I have opened the SM1000 store for pre-orders:
>>
>> http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3923
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> David
>>
>> --
>
> —
>
> 73 de Remco Post, PE1PIP

Tony Langdon

Mar 1, 2015, 12:42:48 AM3/1/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 1/03/2015 7:16 AM, David Rowe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Due to popular demand I have opened the SM1000 store for pre-orders:
>
> http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3923
Nice work. Ordered one, can't wait until it arrives. :)

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Stu Nutt

Mar 1, 2015, 4:22:04 AM3/1/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Another one ordered now - This one for UK (I hope I can hear/work
someone when it arrives!)

I'm a bit concerned about Ali Express though - I have a suspicion that
the request to confirm my email address is going to result in a flood of
Far-East products being emailed to me. I get enough "wanted" email
coming in without even more spam offering me all manner of stuff that
I'm not interested in!

Stu, G3OCR

On 01/03/2015 05:42, Tony Langdon wrote:
> On 1/03/2015 7:16 AM, David Rowe wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Due to popular demand I have opened the SM1000 store for pre-orders:
>>
>> http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3923
> Nice work. Ordered one, can't wait until it arrives. :)

---

David Rowe

Mar 1, 2015, 4:25:17 AM3/1/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stu,

Thanks for your order. Actually there have been a lot today!

Let me know if unwanted Ali Express emails become a problem ....

Thanks,

David

Michael Lodico

Mar 1, 2015, 10:41:20 AM3/1/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Will the SM1000 be available at Dayton for purchase? I have a problem sending a credit card to anybody in China, if they took PayPal it would be different.

73 de K1EG

Mike

Kristoff

Mar 1, 2015, 11:01:38 AM3/1/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

I buy quite a lot from aliexpress.

They also accept maestro payments (debetcard payments via mastercard).
In my case, these payments are verified by my local bank here in
Belgium, using the same device (external chipcard reader) that is used
to authentificate my ebanking access.
Aliexpress does have the number of my debet-card. It cannot be used
without my personal ebanking authenfitication device.

I think they also accept a number of prepayed-card systems used in other
countries (I've seen references to a Russian and a Brazilian system, if
remember correctly)

The only downside of this is that -as mastercard is a US company- this
information is passed to a certain US spying agency :-)

73
kristoff - ON1ARF

David Rowe

Mar 1, 2015, 3:54:46 PM3/1/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

If you are really worried paypal me USD$220 (my email is my PayPal
account) and I'll air mail you one from Australia. Airmail between our
two countries is usually 2 weeks. Place a clear note in the PayPal
"message to supplier field" to remind me.

Haven't thought about Dayton yet, but that's a good idea! Hope we have
some left, they're selling fast just on pre-orders.

Cheers,

David

Stuart Longland

Mar 11, 2015, 4:07:37 PM3/11/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 01/03/15 15:42, Tony Langdon wrote:
> On 1/03/2015 7:16 AM, David Rowe wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Due to popular demand I have opened the SM1000 store for pre-orders:
>>
>> http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3923
> Nice work. Ordered one, can't wait until it arrives. :)

Likewise.

I'm happy to wait so that bulk orders for Dayton can be fulfilled, but I
dare say there'll be a weekend spent acquiring bits so I can connect it
up to the FT-857D.

A question though: obviously the data jack is the superior option,
however flipping between USB and LSB when in "DIGI" mode on the FT-857
is a pain. How well do these units work through the microphone jack?

I've got to find a location in the wiring loom on the bicycle to
shoehorn this in and I'm thinking the microphone jack in the front
basket is probably the most convenient as it means I can quickly swap
the unit in and out as needed and the mode buttons continue to work.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Mel Whitten

Mar 11, 2015, 8:39:38 PM3/11/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Yep, the radio mic connector will work for you OK. I used
to work a bike mobiler in Chicago who used the AOR 9000
mk2 via the mic connector.

Mel
k0pfx

Tony Langdon

Mar 11, 2015, 9:00:00 PM3/11/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 12/03/2015 11:39 AM, Mel Whitten wrote:
> Yep, the radio mic connector will work for you OK. I used
> to work a bike mobiler in Chicago who used the AOR 9000
> mk2 via the mic connector.
Looks like I'm going to have to install a SSB radio on my bike, so I can
run FreeDV bicycle mobile. :)

Stuart Longland

Mar 12, 2015, 1:12:46 AM3/12/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 12/03/15 10:59, Tony Langdon wrote:
> On 12/03/2015 11:39 AM, Mel Whitten wrote:
>> Yep, the radio mic connector will work for you OK. I used
>> to work a bike mobiler in Chicago who used the AOR 9000
>> mk2 via the mic connector.
> Looks like I'm going to have to install a SSB radio on my bike, so I can
> run FreeDV bicycle mobile. :)

Indeed, I want someone to talk to. ;-)

How many mobile FreeDV stations are there in the world? I know of one,
that was Mark Jessop & co. Does anyone run this mode whilst mobile?

Tony Langdon

Mar 12, 2015, 2:19:28 AM3/12/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 12/03/2015 4:12 PM, Stuart Longland wrote:
> Indeed, I want someone to talk to. ;-)
>
> How many mobile FreeDV stations are there in the world? I know of one,
> that was Mark Jessop & co. Does anyone run this mode whilst mobile?

Not me.... yet. That is likely to change when I get my SM1000 :)

Walter Holmes

Mar 12, 2015, 8:35:58 AM3/12/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
I work FreeDV mobile and portable fairly often.

However, it may be more semantics though, as I access my station remotely from my Cell phone and/or tablet. :)

But still have a great time doing so. (Only when someone else is driving though) As it brings texting and driving to a WHOLE new level.

Thanks,

Walter/K5WH

Mark Jessop

Mar 12, 2015, 8:47:11 AM3/12/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
There's a few of us in Adelaide that are planning to start up a 160m drive-time net when we all get our SM1000s. We all have (or will soon have) Codan NGTs which makes that a bit more acheivable.

- Mark

Stuart Longland

Mar 12, 2015, 3:55:51 PM3/12/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 12/03/15 22:47, Mark Jessop wrote:
> There's a few of us in Adelaide that are planning to start up a 160m
> drive-time net when we all get our SM1000s. We all have (or will soon
> have) Codan NGTs which makes that a bit more acheivable.

Ahh bummer, 160m. I'm not allowed there.

I'm kinda a weak signal on 80m from the bicycle; did make a 58 signal
into Caragabal, NSW from Brisbane once though but the conditions were
particularly good that night.

Given how difficult it can be to tune a mobile antenna for 80m, I can
only imagine what 160m must be like. Still, best of luck with it.

Stuart Longland

Mar 12, 2015, 4:04:39 PM3/12/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 12/03/15 22:35, Walter Holmes wrote:
> I work FreeDV mobile and portable fairly often.
>
> However, it may be more semantics though, as I access my station remotely from my Cell phone and/or tablet. :)
>
> But still have a great time doing so. (Only when someone else is driving though) As it brings texting and driving to a WHOLE new level.

This is true. Here's hoping the SM1000 will bring in a few more, since
IMO it's the right sort of interface for a mobile station. A lot less
to go wrong in a situation where you need to keep your focus on the road
and not on troubleshooting a radio station.

The FreeDV desktop application isn't a bad option, but the UI is not one
that's particularly mobile-friendly, especially if you're the operator
of the vehicle (as well as the radio).

In my case, I have no passengers: unless my antenna brings down a spider
web. Then I can't be so sure.

I see the SM1000 as a sharp poke in the eye for the likes of Icom and
Yaesu who are yet to produce anything remotely like it. Closest is the
AOR DV units; they're nearly twice the price and aren't open source.

Tony Langdon

Mar 13, 2015, 4:53:54 AM3/13/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 13/03/2015 6:55 AM, Stuart Longland wrote:
> On 12/03/15 22:47, Mark Jessop wrote:
>> There's a few of us in Adelaide that are planning to start up a 160m
>> drive-time net when we all get our SM1000s. We all have (or will soon
>> have) Codan NGTs which makes that a bit more acheivable.
> Ahh bummer, 160m. I'm not allowed there.
I've got nothing that will radiate there :(

> I'm kinda a weak signal on 80m from the bicycle; did make a 58 signal
> into Caragabal, NSW from Brisbane once though but the conditions were
> particularly good that night.
I have yet to get HF up, will be starting on VHF.

> Given how difficult it can be to tune a mobile antenna for 80m, I can
> only imagine what 160m must be like. Still, best of luck with it.

Stu Nutt

Mar 14, 2015, 3:03:48 AM3/14/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
David - I ordered mine as soon as I saw this - Have you any idea when
they are expected to ship?

Stu, G3OCR
>> Hello,
>>
>> Due to popular demand I have opened the SM1000 store for pre-orders:
>>
>> http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?p=3923
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> David

David Rowe

Mar 14, 2015, 3:35:47 PM3/14/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stu,

As per the blog post still looking like shipping in late March/early April.

Cheers,

David

Stuart Longland

Mar 14, 2015, 7:52:46 PM3/14/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 13/03/15 18:53, Tony Langdon wrote:
> On 13/03/2015 6:55 AM, Stuart Longland wrote:
>> On 12/03/15 22:47, Mark Jessop wrote:
>>> There's a few of us in Adelaide that are planning to start up a 160m
>>> drive-time net when we all get our SM1000s. We all have (or will soon
>>> have) Codan NGTs which makes that a bit more acheivable.
>> Ahh bummer, 160m. I'm not allowed there.
> I've got nothing that will radiate there :(

It's amazing what you can achieve with a bit of PVC pipe, a cut down
27MHz CB whip from Jaycar, some metal tubing (I use brass), some cheap
speaker wire and a drawing pin can achieve.

http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/blog/2011/04/17/vk4mslbm-new-hf-antenna/

>> I'm kinda a weak signal on 80m from the bicycle; did make a 58 signal
>> into Caragabal, NSW from Brisbane once though but the conditions were
>> particularly good that night.
> I have yet to get HF up, will be starting on VHF.

This is where I started… with a Kenwood TH-F7E handheld, then it
graduated to a Yaesu FT-290RII with the 25W linear, then a FT-897D then
finally the FT-857D.

At the time when I bought the FT-857D, my options were restricted to
that, the Icom IC-706Mk II G, and their latest flagship, the IC-7000.
Kenwood's TS-2000 is nice but too bulky. The Yaesu won on price, and so
far has worked well, even if the case looks like it has seen a few wars.
About my only recurring problem is with the RJ-connectors losing their
"spring", and with the N connector for VHF:

http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/blog/2014/08/03/vk4mslbm-the-mystery-of-the-bad-antenna/

I'm not sure where the next move will be, David's work with a small
minimalist transceiver is inspiring, as is what Algoram (Bruce & Co) are
up to. The Whitebox with a couple of linears could make a decent mobile
transceiver for not much more than what a FT-897 retails for.

For now, thankfully, I'm in a position to wait for something better to
come along. I'm thinking though this will be the last Yaesu rig unless
they come up with something truly innovative. (No, sorry guys, I yawn
at the FT-991!)

Tony Langdon

Mar 14, 2015, 9:37:19 PM3/14/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 15/03/2015 10:52 AM, Stuart Longland wrote:
> It's amazing what you can achieve with a bit of PVC pipe, a cut down
> 27MHz CB whip from Jaycar, some metal tubing (I use brass), some cheap
> speaker wire and a drawing pin can achieve.
Looks impressive, nice setup. I don't have the mechanical aptitude for
that sort of construction though. :(
> This is where I started… with a Kenwood TH-F7E handheld, then it
> graduated to a Yaesu FT-290RII with the 25W linear, then a FT-897D then
> finally the FT-857D.
I'm currently using an IC-91AD. Again, working out the mechanics,
especially for a battery will be the limiting factor for me, for running
a mobile type radio.

> At the time when I bought the FT-857D, my options were restricted to
> that, the Icom IC-706Mk II G, and their latest flagship, the IC-7000.
> Kenwood's TS-2000 is nice but too bulky. The Yaesu won on price, and so
> far has worked well, even if the case looks like it has seen a few wars.
> About my only recurring problem is with the RJ-connectors losing their
> "spring", and with the N connector for VHF:
>
> http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/blog/2014/08/03/vk4mslbm-the-mystery-of-the-bad-antenna/
>
> I'm not sure where the next move will be, David's work with a small
> minimalist transceiver is inspiring, as is what Algoram (Bruce & Co) are
> up to. The Whitebox with a couple of linears could make a decent mobile
> transceiver for not much more than what a FT-897 retails for.
>
> For now, thankfully, I'm in a position to wait for something better to
> come along. I'm thinking though this will be the last Yaesu rig unless
> they come up with something truly innovative. (No, sorry guys, I yawn
> at the FT-991!)

I have no idea what my next radio would be, and I am keeping an eye on
the SDR developments out there.

siegfried jackstien

Mar 15, 2015, 4:47:32 AM3/15/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
What about building your own?? ... look for m0nka (shortwave qrp rig)

Open source open hardware

Costs around 300 bucks to build

Greetz

Sigi

Dg9bfc

Tony Langdon

Mar 15, 2015, 9:14:41 PM3/15/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 15/03/2015 7:44 PM, siegfried jackstien wrote:
> What about building your own?? ... look for m0nka (shortwave qrp rig)
>
> Open source open hardware
>
> Costs around 300 bucks to build
Lack of space makes that sort of major project impractical, and also,
mechanical issues may again get in the way (putting the thing into a
case, etc).

Mark Jessop

Mar 16, 2015, 2:02:57 AM3/16/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Building a radio is one thing. Building a radio which will survive regular mobile use is a lot harder. Also 160m mobile needs lots of power, as any 160m mobile antenna is going to be horrible inefficient.

- Mark

Stuart Longland

Mar 16, 2015, 5:26:12 PM3/16/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 15/03/15 18:44, siegfried jackstien wrote:
> What about building your own?? ... look for m0nka (shortwave qrp rig)
>
> Open source open hardware
>
> Costs around 300 bucks to build

I presume you mean this?
http://www.m0nka.co.uk/

I don't see VHF or UHF on there, I occasionally use UHF and regularly
use VHF. That said I've been researching this for some time, and Mark
brings up a valid point:

On 16/03/15 16:02, Mark Jessop wrote:
> Building a radio is one thing. Building a radio which will survive
> regular mobile use is a lot harder. Also 160m mobile needs lots of
> power, as any 160m mobile antenna is going to be horrible inefficient.

Although I'm not going to be on 160m, as mentioned before, my license
does not permit it. Where I live I need a bit of power too. 30W
sometimes doesn't cut it on 2m. If 30W won't cut it, neither will 5W.
This is why I run a mobile rig and not a hand-held (also, because 99% of
hand-helds don't transmit SSB, which I sometimes like to do).

I've had issues with dry joints on the FT-857D which I bought in late
2011. That radio has travelled over 15000km. Let me put that into
perspective:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Berlin/Stralsund/Neum%C3%BCnster/Bremen/M%C3%BCnster/D%C3%BCsseldorf/Saarbr%C3%BCcken/Karlsruhe/Munich,+Germany/Berlin,+Germany/@51.1329731,5.6081728,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m62!4m61!1m5!1m1!1s0x47a84e373f035901:0x42120465b5e3b70!2m2!1d13.404954!2d52.5200066!1m5!1m1!1s0x47ab63a9b50b4b53:0x4251ae8ad8482d0!2m2!1d13.0770347!2d54.3090654!1m5!1m1!1s0x47b24bc2170729b5:0x4248963c6580340!2m2!1d9.9840158!2d54.0729431!1m5!1m1!1s0x47b128100ceee335:0xc2e8885cf937df51!2m2!1d8.8016937!2d53.0792962!1m5!1m1!1s0x47b9bac399f760df:0x21eb4ca77bf328eb!2m2!1d7.6261347!2d51.9606649!1m5!1m1!1s0x47b8c97bf1465907:0x42760fc4a2a73b0!2m2!1d6.7734556!2d51.2277411!1m5!1m1!1s0x4795b152e302c0eb:0x422d4d510db6b80!2m2!1d6.9969327!2d49.2401572!1m5!1m1!1s0x47970648a2e07809:0xb6fc55734cb7ee7f!2m2!1d8.4036527!2d49.0068901!1m5!1m1!1s0x479e75f9a38c5fd9:0x10cb84a7db1987d!2m2!1d11.5819806!2d48.1351253!1m5!1m1!1s0x47a84e373f035901:0x42120465b5e3b70!2m2!1d13.404954!2d52.5200066!3e0

Do that run 6½ times. That's how far that radio has been bounced around
on the bicycle.

Some of this was with it rattling loose in a rear basket, then I bought
a motorcycle top box and so it rattled loose in that.

Then I finally made some brackets to bolt it down. There's no shock
absorption on the rear wheel though, so there's a lot of vibration that
the radio is subjected to that I can do nothing about.

Anything that replaces this set will need to put up with this vibration
day in day out.

siegfried jackstien

Mar 17, 2015, 5:05:32 AM3/17/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm ... so in your bicycle setup you need a rig that has done the shock
tests that are normally made for sats :-)

Ok ok ... on a bike without shock absorbent ... I am guessing that not all
mobile rigs can withstand that

About output power: around 10 w is enough power when condx are good ... if
not ... that 10 w can be boosted up with a small power amp

What antennas are you using on your bicycle?? ... mobile whip plus dragging
a radial behind you??

Dg9bfc

Sigi

Stuart Longland

Mar 17, 2015, 4:16:38 PM3/17/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
On 17/03/15 19:02, siegfried jackstien wrote:
> Hmmm ... so in your bicycle setup you need a rig that has done the shock
> tests that are normally made for sats :-)
>
> Ok ok ... on a bike without shock absorbent ... I am guessing that not all
> mobile rigs can withstand that

Yeah, the key point being, there's a limit to what can be fixed by the
side of a road or at a campsite. So far, the only failing I've seen
with this FT-857D which required popping the case off was the N
connector. That I could do at a campsite with a gas soldering iron.

Most of the time it's fine, but it's true, our roads and bike/foot paths
are not made like the Autobahn.

The other consideration here is weight, lots of extra bits is not only
more to go wrong, but more weight.

> About output power: around 10 w is enough power when condx are good ... if
> not ... that 10 w can be boosted up with a small power amp

I've made contacts on 5W, but having 100W is an advantage. Ideal is if
the 100W linear was built-in to the radio, which is what the FT-857D
gives me. Even if I use 5W most of the time, I have the 100W there if I
need it, and since it's built-in, I have faith then in it working.

A separate linear that gets switched in when needed could silently fail
when not in use, then you find out you're stuck at QRP when you need QRO.

> What antennas are you using on your bicycle?? ... mobile whip plus dragging
> a radial behind you??

I have two I use presently:
- 27MHz CB whip (6ft)
http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/blog/2010/08/15/vk4mslbm-hf-second-stationary-test-contact/
- homebrew vertical whip
http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/blog/2011/04/17/vk4mslbm-new-hf-antenna/

(Yes, in the first post, that's my FT-897D; and yes I did use that on
the bicycle a few times before I bought the FT-857D.)

Both use the bike frame as a counterpoise (a compromise; not possible to
tow a 20m long radial behind for 80m).

siegfried jackstien

Mar 17, 2015, 5:26:30 PM3/17/15
to digita...@googlegroups.com
A 100w rig turned down to 10 or 5 w drags much more power from battery as a
qrp rig ... and only if needed switch in the amp

If pa fails in your rig youre stuck

If extra pa (for qrp rig) fails ... you can still make contacts

(if needed strung up a better antenna in a tree for emergency call)

So ... I think both things/setups have their plus and minus points

Dg9bfc

Sigi

(years ago I had a military mobile whip on my bicycle .. heavy but you could
not break it ... later used on my first few cars with an autotuner)