PDFgui and Jmol

Mikhail Feygenson

Jun 16, 2011, 11:44:13 AM6/16/11
to diffpy-users
Hi all,

I would like to use Jmol to look on the initial and refined
structures. In Edit - Preferences I browsed Jmol.jar file, which
starts Jmol when double-clicked in Windows. However, when I try to
plot a structure it doesn't even start Jmol. It just blinks for a
second.

Can somebody help?

I am using Win 7 and PDFgui updated with "diffpy.Structure-1.0-
r5333-20100601.tar"

Thank you,
Mikhail

Pavol Juhas

Jun 16, 2011, 2:05:58 PM6/16/11
to diffpy-users
Hi Mikhail,

The jar file is not really a Windows executable. It is
a compiled java code, that has meaning only for the
java interpreter. So to get the jmol running, you
need to set

Structure viewer executable: c:\windows\system32\javaw.exe
Argument string: -Xmx512m -jar "C:\Program Files\jmol
\jmol-12.0.43\jmol.jar" %s
Structure format: cif

You may need to adjust this according to the actual paths to
your javaw.exe and jmol.jar. Another option is to use jmol.bat
as the structure viewer, but that requires setting the
JMOL_HOME environment variable to the directory of jmol.jar.

Hope this helps,

Pavol

Simon Billinge

Jun 16, 2011, 2:35:11 PM6/16/11
to diffpy-users
sweet, thanks Pavol. I tried to do the same and couldn't make Jmol
work before. Will try again and have built in structure plotting in
PDFgui on Windows finally.

> --

Prof. Simon Billinge
Applied Physics & Applied Mathematics
Columbia University
500 West 120th Street
Room 200 Mudd, MC 4701
New York, NY 10027
Tel: (212)-854-2918 (o) 851-7428 (lab)

Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Dept.
Brookhaven National Laboratory
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
(631)-344-5661